Indenting Trouble

When I try to run my game, an error message comes up on this particular scene. The error message says it expects 0 spaces, but has 2. When I remove all the spaces from the * phrases, it continues with the story. The thing is, I’ve been using this same format in the beginning of the fiction, and this issue is only just now showing up. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, and what I need to do to fix it.

#Howl for backup.
  The rest of the hunting party catch up to you, and move in. You discover the smell was a woodcutter, chopping trees 
with one of the Ferus tools.
  *set honor +1
  *set intelligence +1
  *goto fight

Close the notepad and reopen it. Same with the browser. I know it sounds odd but it’s fixed errors which weren’t actually errors for me. Everything was written fine but yet an error would persist. So, maybe try that.

Also, sometimes the error-message is faulty:
I usually use an ‘increase by three’ in my stuff (aka 3 space indent), and sometimes, when I accidentally just have 2 it will tell me it expected 0, when there should be 3

And a friendly tip: Use tab for indenting.

Less press per indentation, more obvious spacing, and is universal in a lot of coding language (a tab = a level)

2 Likes

I tried restarting everything, but it didn’t work. This problem shows up in randomtest, quicktest, and when I try to play the actual game. This is the entire label, if you could look at it. Also, in this particular multiple choice scene, only my first option “#Howl for backup.” appears in my game.

*label ferus

Alright ${name}, you are in a hunting party with your pack. There are about five of you total, and you have all gone in
different directions to look for food. As you search, your keen nose picks up the acrid smell of Ferus. Ferus are the only
real predators to your kind. Sure, bears, foxes, and coyotes occasionally try to eat a cub or two, but Ferus, curse their
hairless, two legged bodies, hunt in wolf territory without a care, using their weaponry against your kind. Now that you
know he or she is here, what do you do?

*choice

#Howl for backup.
The rest of the hunting party catch up to you, and move in. You discover the smell was a woodcutter, chopping trees
*set honor +1
*set intelligence +1
*goto fight
#Inconspicuously gather the other four for an ambush. One less Ferus around would do much good.
You surround the Ferus, who turns out out be a woodcutter chooping trees. Together, you jump attack him, and kill
him. Though not before suffering a small swipe from his ax. You return to the pack empty pawed, but the alpha understands
with the presence of a Ferus.
*set cunning +1
*set leadership +1
*set health -2
*goto beginning
#Sneak attack em. You’ve taken down much worse.
You charge the Ferus, who apparently was a tree-cutter. You are able to scare him off after biting hard into his
forearm, but not before suffering wounds of your own. You return to the pack empty pawed, but the alpha understands with
the presence of a Ferus.
*set strength +1
*set honor +1
*set health -4
*goto beginning

Another thing, is that when I test it in quicktest, I think it tests the other options cause I don’t see a LINE UNTESTED or anything. In randomtest, it only tests the #Howl for backup., but I can’t get through the entire story because of the indenting bug that keeps halting the test, in order to see if it’s just random, or if randomtest also only has the one option.

Also, it changed the style of the text, so you can’t see the indentations. Lemme try again…

*label ferus

Alright ${name}, you are in a hunting party with your pack. There are about five of you total, and you have all gone in
different directions to look for food. As you search, your keen nose picks up the acrid smell of Ferus. Ferus are the only
real predators to your kind. Sure, bears, foxes, and coyotes occasionally try to eat a cub or two, but Ferus, curse their
hairless, two legged bodies, hunt in wolf territory without a care, using their weaponry against your kind. Now that you
know he or she is here, what do you do?

*choice

#Howl for backup.
*set honor +1
*set intelligence +1
*goto fight
#Inconspicuously gather the other four for an ambush. One less Ferus around would do much good.
You surround the Ferus, who turns out out be a woodcutter chooping trees. Together, you jump attack him, and kill
him. Though not before suffering a small swipe from his ax. You return to the pack empty pawed, but the alpha understands
with the presence of a Ferus.
*set cunning +1
*set leadership +1
*set health -2
*goto beginning
#Sneak attack em. You’ve taken down much worse.
You charge the Ferus, who apparently was a tree-cutter. You are able to scare him off after biting hard into his
forearm, but not before suffering wounds of your own. You return to the pack empty pawed, but the alpha understands with
the presence of a Ferus.
*set strength +1
*set honor +1
*set health -4
*goto beginning

Try this:

*choice
   #option 1
      *goto x
   #option 2
Etc

As said, it sounds as if cs made you reduce the number of indents when you should have increased them.
Also, removed the free line at the choice

Just put the code between 3 grave-accent ( ``` ) so it will look like this

*comment ```
*comment safddzxcveasdsadfsdaf
*comment xzcvsrdilujknd
*comment ```

Of course, ignore the *comment. The grave accent can be found just below the Escape button (if you’re using the conventional qwerty keyboard)