How to code accent marks? (á, à, è, ó, etc.)

I don’t think there is. I only know of save systems implemented in WiP’s for testing purposes.

If there’s not… well, the password system isn’t going to work for anyone but the author unless that person has specifically modded CS (and only for the author if they mod the code in one of the CS files). It -will- however be able to provide the author with a way to restore a game after the system has been shut down.

A soft save system will work for other people, but not if they shut down their browser/system. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anything that does both except for the CoG save system, which, to my knowledge, hasn’t been given to authors. One other thing I’d love to know is whether a soft save system would interfere with the CoG save system, and whether CoG implements their save system on published hosted games or not.

@Grapefruit Done! It worked like a charm, thank you very much!

@Shawn_Patrick_Reed thank you for your help :smile: But I didn’t want “soft saves” because I think they aren’t very handy for testing purposes once you close the window, but thank you!

@Cecilia_Rosewood thanks for your time and help :wink:

1 Like

Again, sorry to bother you, but I have a new doubt about coding :disappointed_relieved:

There used to be an example on this page of the choicescript wiki, but it looks like it vanished. Maybe the pointers given will help you figure it out though.

My guide includes how to do multichoices. The short is the syntax looks like this:

*choice color shape
    #Red
        #Circle
            Red Circle
        #Square
            Red Square
    #Blue
        #Circle
            Blue Circle
        #Square
            Blue Square
1 Like

@Cecilia_Rosewood thank you!

@Reaperoa thank you so much!

Edit: how can I code vowels with accent marks (à, á, è, é, etc…)? When I try to, in the game they look like a black diamond with a ? mark :open_mouth:

This may help
http://redhotwords.com/unicode.html
and
http://www.accentcodes.com/

2 Likes

@Lordirish Oh, thank you, but I meant with ChoiceScript :sweat_smile:

My keyboard works perfectly fine and I can write with á, è, í, etc., but when I try to code a game I can’t :disappointed_relieved:

Like, the dash (—) is like this;

Stuff — secret stuff — you can't know.

Will look like this:

But how can I code the accent marks with ChoiceScript? :open_mouth:

You have to write it outside of cs then bring it over into your scene file.

1 Like

… Excuse me…? :disappointed_relieved:

You have to write your text files in like MS Word save utf-8 then move the text file you created to your scene file.

1 Like

Oh, I see! Sorry, I’m kinda stupid when it comes to coding and anything related to technology :disappointed_relieved:

I’m on it right now, though I believe it’s too much work for only two or three words… :sweat_smile:

Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

Lol I am slow to grasp code myself at times. Not really that bad to do. I did it with some Spanish Mara was kind enough to translate for my ghost game.

The problem of coding accent marks has been wasting way too much of my time as I’ve been working on Tally Ho. I’m writing the game in plain old Notepad, leaving out the accent marks for now (so I have papier-mache and fiancee, for example).

I’ve tried writing the words in question (papier-mâché and fiancée) in Word, converting the Word document into utf-8, and then just cutting and pasting those words into the notepad file, but I still get those black ? diamonds.

Can anyone give me some pointers? I can’t write a Wodehouse game without crudités.

1 Like

Try saving the file with Unicode codification (instead of ANSI/UTF-8) :smile:

4 Likes

OK, I think I’ve got it–I need to stop using Notepad, and start using Notepad ++.

I had been in ANSI, and I converted to UTF-8. Then I was able to cut and paste characters from my PC’s character map.

Thanks for giving me the clue I needed that sent me on the right path, @Lycoris.

3 Likes

Based on my little brain here, accent marks and similar symbols being displayed as black diamonds is a problem about missing font installation. Just like mandarin or arabic letters being displayed as weird black boxes on certain devices.

But I’m not sure which font files are missing, nor which font type you need to install, so I’m afraid I can’t help you much about that.

I personally use Notepad++ and pick the accent marks from Windows’ Character Map. Those accent marks are displaying just fine.

EDIT: Daem ninja-ed by everyone!!!

2 Likes

If your scene files are already saved in UTF-8, you should be able to use alt codes to type the character(s) directly into your text file.

4 Likes

Yay, even easier! Thanks!

3 Likes