HMS Foraker (WIP)

Re: Constitution and its extra/additional guns - if I remember my naval history, the ship actually received its additional guns because the Continental Congress canceled the building of the sister ship and they just transferred the delivered guns to the completed ship.

The entire story of the three ships that were scheduled to be built was a fascinating drama.

Congress authorised six heavy frigates to fight against the Barbary Pirates, with the condition that construction be halted if a peace treaty was signed.

United States, Constellation, and Constitution were too far along to be stopped by the time a peace was actually signed, so they were commissioned the year after. Chesapeake, Congress, and President were put on hold, and eventually completed during the Quasi-War with France a few years later.

6 Likes

I think this is the three I learned about long ago. Obviously, I need a refresher but I’m also pretty sure about the source of the extra cannons

The entire drama is fascinating, including the choice of the timber, the shipyards, and a few other things.

2 Likes

USS Constitution, the original Boston Strong.

1 Like

This is a good one so far. I like how we are thrust right into the action with out much explanation because you pulled it off well.
It is well received so far on my end thank you.

I note a problem with the genderflipping. You’re automatically labeling ships “he,” when that’s supposed to be flipped to the opposite of the player’s gender.

"Your Second Lieutenant nods. “He’s called the Delmarva. 50 guns, crew of 400, and he is headed for port as we speak.”

I’m doing a male playthrough on this one, so that might need a pass with the editing brush.

Other than that, this is fine work, as befits your always-high standards. I’ve said it before: your particular style of writing is extremely fitting for nineteenth-century fiction. It’s a genre that absolutely demands witty narration and dialogue, and you cannot help but provide. It’s the little touches that make it exceptional.

8 Likes

Will we be able to get a better ship like a Man-of-war that would be so great.

So all three heavy frigates are there and are looking at you, just great :3. I’m betting that the next chapter will be a daring escape from Trimountaine.

You won’t be hunting prize ships if you are stuck in a “better” ship…

I am EXCITE. I’m looking forward to sitting down and reading this, from what I’ve read so far- masterful work Cataphrak.

There’s a good possibility we simply became Russian-analogue in the middle of the game.

Nevermind me, I was buying into an unsubstantiated myth.

Dispensing with jokes now. It seems like even captains with respectably high patronage can be thirsty for money back home. Simply a case of “more is more,” or is it a hint that your finances aren’t in the best of shape?

But you could keep one of the prize ships for yourself right i would to go around in Man-of-war it would be fun as hell.

Fuck yes. Cataphrak is back in business. Well HG business that is. Going to play the demo right now.

You only get to keep prizes if you’re a pirate.

This looks very promising, I definitively like it a lot. And glad to see that it will also be used as a testing site for LoI. :slight_smile: Choice of Broadsides was also definitively worth a playthrough or five.

I should probably rewatch the Hornblower series now…

6 Likes

There’s a separate set of pronouns for ships, and sometimes I get mixed up regarding which one is which. I’ve found a few misplaced ones so far, and I’ll probably do a full pass later.

Patronage is an avenue towards wealth, not wealth itself. You can be friends with the entire Admiralty Board and still be short on funds - doubly so if your family put itself in debt trying to make friends with the whole Admiralty Board.

8 Likes

And if you become an Admiral you can set up your own web of patronage to give yourself more money.

2 Likes

Freezes up like Keane at First Kharangia

Just finished my first go at the story and I have nothing more articulate to say than it was awesome!

As for the random events, I couldn’t tell if some of the scenes I went through were random (like the storm and meeting other ships) or a fixed part of the story, which I think means they are being done right.

Few things I noticed:

I’m not 100% sure on the grammar rules, but in the opener, ‘With a slow inevitability’ instead of ‘an’ sounds more right to me.

When asking Cromwell if I can engage the frigate. Should be ‘Once you ascertain his location.’

When first deciding which way to sail to find the frigate, I think it should be ‘west to New Lancaster’ instead of east based on the direction given in the scenes that follow.

When riding out the storm in a safe harbor, misspelling in ‘unscathed.’

When first sailing to Trimountaine, on the second option, I think it should be ‘thorough search.’

3 Likes

I played the demo, and it’s a lot of fun. I loved Broadsides (One of my two or three favorite COG novels and I felt it was such a shame that they haven’t gone back to it), so I will be following this with interest.

1 Like

Agreed! I wish they’d done more!