Historical RPG

@Reaperoa I actually didn’t like that tangent much anyway.

I also think a noir inspired story set in the 1930s or 40s would be cool. You play as either a private eye or a police detective investigating the seemly underbelly of a city, interacting with various gangsters, femme fatales, corrupt cops etc. There could be a central mystery that you are trying to solve, but there could be many different ways to resolve it. Do you actually see it through and solve the case? Do you pin the crime on someone you think deserves to go down even if they are innocent in this case? Do you decide to simply cover up the truth because arresting the guilty party will cause too much collateral damage?

Lots of background options too. Are you a corrupt cop with ties to the mob? An upright, by the books type in an otherwise corrupt department? Or maybe a renegade “loose cannon” type with nothing to lose? Gender options could make you the first female detective in the department, struggling to earn the respect of your peers, or a female private eye who has to rely on her wits and charm rather than fists and bullets?

The same scenrio could also work in the modern day of course, but I think it works better in a historic setting where you can’t rely on databases, forensic evidence, cell phone records, etc. Plus you get the cool 1940s cars, suits and atmosphere.

Nope. Female private eyes do not have to rely on wits and charms instead of fists and bullets. They can rely on whatever the hell they want to rely on.

They CAN, but chances are people in the 30s/40s won’t hire a female private eye for strength or shootouts. The first female detective in the force would be interesting, though.

People in the 30s/40s can be a lot more flexible than we give them credit for, especially when they want something done and somebody is right for the job.

@ScarletGeisha That’s actually really true. Remember we’re dealing with the darkside/underbelly of society. The whole misogynistic aspect of gang life is a very recent construct (As in extremely recent). You go back a few decades and women’s more minor involvement in such things (compared to males) was less sexism and more ‘that’s just not how it worked’.

Sure, there’d be some level of ‘that’s not the kind of stuff women do’ to overcome, but that would be significantly less half a century+ ago. A few decades ago, it didn’t matter who held a gun to your head, you were equally afraid of them. Besides which, men have the same avenue (to some extent) in the whole ‘buddy’ routine. Basically as modern society has come to accept women and gays into the mainstream, they’ve been outcast from the underworld.

How about 1066 or ww2

How bout a WW2 game? I don’t see why not. You could pick your nation from the main six, otherwise it would be to big, and fight it out! You could climb the ranks to a general, or stay a lowly private (No offence to privates! No flames!). You could fight for the Germans, Italians, Japanese, Americans, British, or the Soviet Union.

You could very well do that without making dark elves turn into Nazis. And why do you hate dark elves? I love em!

Now, I think that a game set in WW1 would also be good. I could be good without mentioning the Holocaust.

You know an interesting time period in history thats overlooked often is the Islamic Caliphates. You have the world leader in technology, expansion into Africa, Persia, Mesopotamia, religious fervor, conflict with Byzantin and nomadic Turks, and one of the most complex social law code imo. So many different culture and customs it was remarkable.

Also @ScarletGeisha i recall a conversation about historical figures, have you ever heard of the Mamluks? They were predominantly slave warrior class that was epic. Primarily in Egypt, they beat down the Mongols, used in the crusades, and involved in this period. Just really interesting overall. Just if you still needed ideas.

@Raven. Yes, I have heard of the Mamluks. In fact, I have thought of doing A Warrior’s Path game about them in the future, but it definitely won’t be somethng in the near future.

Ok i just find that entire peiod really cool, and had a flashback moment. I mean, its not like theres a shortage of sick historical warriors to choose from

I have a few things to say
First: you guys freak out to much on this thread and every other thread about what is socially acceptable. Who cares! It’s a story!

Second: I find it funny that this thread was opened to give segestions to a guy who has not posted more than 3 comments. I think that you guys have all of these great ideas that are never going to get anywhere because the guy your giving them to is not hear.

And lastly: as far as the Nazis go you are referring to this great mass of “other people” who would not be intelligent enough to aperitiat the game. But all of you are in consent that you are not part of that group. Who cares what they think. As long as the game doesn’t say that all the Jews should be killed, I say make it!

Who cares? I care. It’s never just a story. Things aren’t written from a vacuum. There is a whole load of societal influences accumulated since birth guiding the words. You write based on the tropes you have learned and you teach others these tropes through your work. It’s cyclical and it’s ultimately harmful.

And I don’t think you’re understanding why we’re debeating the Nazi game. If done right, it could be a really good educational tool. The problem is that you can easily reduce it to mere entertainment, which would only serve to trivialise the events and that’s NOT what you want to do. No really, you don’t want to. Not unless you are a really big asshole.

Apparently a Holocaust CYOA has been done before anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Holocaust-Roseman-Kenneth-Do-It-Yourself-Adventure/dp/0807403075

I still say go with the Aztecs or any of the other major Mesoamerican/Pre-Colombian civs, though I wouldn’t mind seeing a Mongol based CYOA either.

Honestly just saying you want to write an historical RPG is pretty cool, but I think you need to try and narrow it down a little.
What periods in history do you like or are fascinated by?
I mean we have like 12.000 years and five continents to choose from.
Is there anything in particular that YOU would like to write about @Mick94?

First of all @Cagye_bee you can excuse youself since it’s not necessary to have an attitude.Also I have been followoing the thread but finals are fiishing and I plan on starting when my schooling is done for the semester.

Also @noogai I love the 1800s yet the Aztecs/Mayans are AMAZIIIIIING.

Thanks for all the great ideas people and keep them coming…Trust me I’m following along:)

P.S. WW2 holocaust is really a touchy and emotional subject…I would keep that project in mind though

@Kargon
"You could fight for the Germans, Italians, Japanese, Americans, British, or the Soviet Union. "

I want to win as the Belgians.

Or the French:

*choose
–# Wave white flag.
–# Run away.

/Racist stereotype joke.

I think that options for choosing which side you’re on in the WWII would be a bad idea. Something like that would needs to be either completely story driven (making it a story makes it art, which frees it a little to tackle difficult subjects), or completely split from the setting (like most WWII FPS games/WWII Flight Sims like IL-2).

Wouldn’t it be better with a WWI game instead?
Gas attacks, the French actually doing something (lol) and the Russian workers revolution.
WWI pilot, maybe a tank operator in the end of the war, there are so many possibilities and I don’t think anyone would be offended by such a game or misinterpret things.

wait was we talking about a Nazis again because last time they were mentioned it didn’t go well.