HeroRise vs Lost Heir of Daria

Cch, HeUn, HR, aetherfall and best of us. Maybe wise use of time too.
The superhero/superpower lineup of cog/hg

Paradigm City would fall under that umbrella as well, and Iā€™d probably leave out Wise Use of Time. It has elements, but isnā€™t really part of the genre the way the rest are

2 Likes

I guess our tastes are different then, I actually like when I have to build up stats and I like the fact that bc I canā€™t max out all stats there are some situations where the MC fails or Iā€™ll have to think about which choice is better suited for their abilities. It can even add to the story part after all people canā€™t be perfect in everything they do.

I would pick LH over HR bc it can still be interesting after several playthroughs. I kinda only played HR multiple times to try out all ROs (except Jury). With LH I donā€™t feel after multiple playthroughs that the only thing whatā€™s changing is the person whom my MC is romancing. (Also I like fantasy more than the superhero setting, but I know genre isnā€™t what this thread is about just pointless side comment from me I guess.)

Anyway about the authors: Iā€™ll only say this, I bought all of their released games but while Iā€™m still planning to buy Lucids games if a new one gets released I canā€™t say the same for Sergis games, the Redemption Season was so much of a let down (I donā€™t want to go on listing the several reasons for this bc they were already listed in the thread about that game).

2 Likes

But you can max almost all of your stats and never fail at anything in LH. Building a OP build of one of the most fun things in LH.

1 Like

So, anyone going to create a thread to discuss the superhero games in the lineup?

Is that really a good idea? I can see a thread like that just turning into a minor war of people pushing their personal favourites and complaining about the others.

2 Likes

Why would that necessarily happen? If everyone just shares their opinion and keeps in mind that not everyone has the same tastes than there should be no problem with it I think.

3 Likes

Ideally, it would be a good idea if everyone would share it in a civil discussion. In reality, not everyone would do so in a civil manner.

4 Likes

By that logic weā€™d have to refrain from making any thread about any game, or asking for recs.

I donā€™t think itā€™s the matter of expressing opinions (such as liking and recommending a game or offering constructive criticism on it) but rather a matter of piting the games against each other which is more of the problem expressed. (Which runs the risk of instead spark a ā€œmy opinion is better than yoursā€ debate which generally isnā€™t very helpful or kind.)

4 Likes

Not really.

For me, itā€™s okay to create a thread about a specific game so that those people who play that specific game could give their opinion on it. And if someone would ask for recommendations, people could freely give what they think the OP would like based from the criteria the OP wants.

It is quite a different story if you want a thread that would pit one game against another, this would result in heated debates from one poster into another.

Not easier than a recs thread, actually.
If someone asks for a game in, letā€™s say, the supernatural horror genre, what would you recommend and why?

Well, you could just " I recommended this game becauseā€¦ But if you donā€™t like beingā€¦ or tooā€¦ If you like more info, hereā€™s game thread to learn moreā€¦ " And stop it at that. But I am sure some people will counter your reasoning and such. I usually just ignore their counter argument or just say that we just have to agree to disagree since we are not clearly seeing each other eye to eye in order not to derail the thread any further.

And thereā€™s the exact problem, and the reason why such a thread is needed. I usually see it that people who roll with the ā€˜agree to disagreeā€™ mentality are usually those that also leave out the part beyond the ā€˜i recommend this game becauseā€™ and only link threads full of praise ā€˜to learn more aboutā€™.

What weā€™d technically be doing would be a collective review thread

:thinking: I understand what you want to do but instead of pitting them against each other, it would be much informative if the review contains certain criteria like the world buiding aspects, character development, if it is too linear and suchā€¦

Thatā€™s what I was asking for actually, sorry if that was unclear Dx (Yeah, deemed it self-explanatory X_x )

1 Like

:joy: I seeā€¦ Well that clear things up. Anyway, if that the case, I would like to see those kinds of threads. It would be a tough job thoughā€¦ :thinking:

This.

Please remember that comparison threads are usually not a good idea. Iā€™m seriously thinking about closing this thread.

2 Likes

Exactly.

Yeah, though letā€™s see:

1. How are superpowers applied in the game
  2. How many are there (for the player and in the story) and where do they come from?
  3. What is the story in general about. Is it about learning to use your powers? Is it about something else with established powers?

This is what the Release Date Threads are for. Each CoG and Hosted Game should have a specific thread advertising its release on the date it gets released.

As an example: The Broadway title shall have its release thread ā€œsoonā€ since it is being released today (Iā€™d estimate 3-4 hours from now) since they are usually released on Pacific Coast Time 9:00am.