Guenevere (WIP)

ok now i just imagined Arthurian Military with HQ directed tactics such as
Magic Airstrike Incomin take cover
Archers Supresing Fire Cavalry is coming.
Etc :smiley:

@jeantown Just to let you know: Our hangout starts in app. 10 minutes here:

4 Likes

And weā€™re done :wink:
Basically we were just fangirling. Seriously. Weā€™re normally pretty critical but all of us LOVED (in capital letters) the story and played it several times. The main points which were seen most positive by us were:

• The possibility to really form your own character
  • Your way of treating sexuality (or the lack thereof)
  • The NPCs: the oh-so-sweet-and-idealistic Arthur, Morgana who so very much needs a friend (and/or is such a cute lover) and the sweeps-you-off-your-feet Lancelot
  • The excellent storywriting which is existing even when youā€™ve played it like ten times
  • Your acknowledgement of non-heteronormative relationships and people and how your NPCs react to it. Plain awesome.
  • Your distinction between romance and sexual attraction
  • That you leave the characters open for imagination
13 Likes

I think Freud took a few pointers from Shakespeare.

1 Like

@elveny aaaaaaaa oh my goodnessā€¦ I canā€™t believe how much of this there is! :smiley: I wish my German was better, but itā€™s fun to watch and pick up a few things here and there. And I love everyoneā€™s titles and sub-titles! Thanks for posting the list of points, too. Iā€™m delighted that you (plural) found so many positive things to talk about. This has made me super-happy. :blush:

Or long range communication is light magic, which means Morgana isnā€™t capable of it, while Merlin is, if he were around.

1 Like

That would make sense, Merlin is one who would actually be capable of it, But definetely not easily, even for merlin.

@jeantown I have a questionā€¦about the CARROT! :stuck_out_tongue: You mentioned on your blog a while back that you could use it as a bomb in the Camelot branch (which sounds awesome, BTW)ā€¦so what other cool things can you do with it in Part II?

Also, if you STILL donā€™t use it, will it carry over to Part III?

P.S. Though my Guens normally make very different choices, when I found out about the AWESOME POWER that carrot held, I made them all keep it. Every last one of them. :smile:

4 Likes

Itā€™d be cool if we could keep the unused carrot as a trophy, like the one you get from Hrothulf. Itā€™s proof that you donā€™t need help to save the day.

2 Likes

If you add achievements, You should totally add one for keeping the carrot throughout the whole game.

What could you call the achievement though? Rejected? Denied?

:smiley:

3 Likes

Carrot on a Stick? Carrot Without a Stick? Donā€™t Carrot All?

2 Likes

ā€œI carrot teach her. The girl has no patience.ā€

^This one for sure.

3 Likes

ā€œI carrot it with me throughout the entire trip.ā€

7 Likes

@stsword @CaesarCzech

Exactlyā€¦ the problem with allowing a magical ability is that you have to find ways to limit it, or the characters are so overpowered that the plot becomes ridiculous. I am not planing to have/show any sort of long-range communication. The plot depends too heavily on that not being possible, and thereā€™s no reason why it has to be possible ā€“ just because magic exists, doesnā€™t mean magic can do everything.

@buggygirl11 :slight_smile: Okay, before anyone gets too excited about the bomb use of the carrot: Every use of the carrot is unique, so the bomb ability is available only in one very particular situation which is one branch out of many options on the Camelot branch ā€“ so most Guens wonā€™t get that opportunity, but a few will. As for other cool usesā€¦ for that Iā€™m going to have to say ā€œwait and see,ā€ because I donā€™t want to spoil things too much. I will say that my favorite one so far involves eating the carrot.

Iā€™m not planning for the carrot to carry over to part 3, just because thereā€™s only so much I an keep track of, but @Wolfsra I love the idea of there being an achievement for never using it. Awhile back, someone requested to be able to hand it back to Merlin at the end, which I liked, so that will probably be possible. But keeping it as a trophy is also a great idea, so maybe that will also be an option (with an achievement either way).

And, uhā€¦ keep those achievement name suggestions comingā€¦ though I think ā€œDonā€™t carrot allā€ is the definite frontrunner. :grin:

3 Likes

ā€œEh, Whatā€™s Up, Doc?ā€ Wow, I canā€™t believe that one didnā€™t come to me until just now. Or ā€œWhatā€™s Up Merlin?ā€

1 Like

@stsword, @CaesarCzech, @jeantown
I donā€™t think long-range communication could be light magic. If it works by creating the message as thoughts in the recipientā€™s head, it would be mind manipulation and thus dark magic.

What are the different uses for the carrot? So far I have ā€œlure sheepā€ and ā€œstab a-holeā€

@jeantown Weā€™ll have mini-branches on our branches?! :smiley: The more I hear about how unbelievably HUGE the second half will be and how many options weā€™ll have, the more it sounds like Iā€™ll have to double or even triple (quadruple?) my number of Guens just to explore EVERY. SINGLE. OPTION.

Itā€™ll take a long time (probably weeks, or months)ā€¦but what can I say? Itā€™s a labor of love. :sweat_smile:

ā€¦also, now Iā€™m starting to understand why itā€™s taking so long to writeā€¦

2 Likes

I did some new Guen playthroughs with different characters. I tried to make to work out a somehow accidental evil Guen :smile: A person that wanted to do good, but all she does is seen by people as evil. Ofcourse something like that is very hard without the exact narration for it. So after few approaches i worked it out in a way that i modified it a bit and played a Guen that is more of a vengefull type.
She cares about people close to her, is vengefull and ruthless to her enemies and donā€™t care that much about Britain. I thought that this may work as a way to show someone who have a good side and want to be good and protect people, but also can be seen as evil and ruthless, when seeing how she treats her enemies. So basically for someone from the outside she will look like evil character, while to her friends she will be all kind and loving.
One of the most appropiate choices for how i imagined this character was to Grimald: ā€œFancy words arenā€™t going to do you much good when I tear out your intestines and feed them to Tristan.ā€ :slight_smile: after he kidnapped her.
So this Guen starts feeling dutifull to marry Arthur, mostly because her father asked her for it (the person she cares about). She had nothing else to do and she figured out that it can be interesting. When she starts getting around our trio she developes feelings of freindship with them. She sees how they care for each other and she likes that, so she decides that she will care for them too (which may lead sometimes for her to overreacting over things that are happening to them). She is getting well a lot with Morgana and is thankfull for her support. She likes Lancelot for his devotion, but do not have feelings for him and wants to be friends with him. She cares about Arthur, she thinks he is a good person and maybe a good king too (with some alterations to his politic) but she donā€™t love him. She did sleeps with him, but that is just for physicall pleasure than for any deeper meaing. She would prefer being just friends with him, but she understands the situation they are in and wants to carry on being his wife. She fired the rocket at Badon Hill, because that was what Arthur asked her for, and then later she executed Hrothulf, believeing it is the best thing to do to protect herself and people she loves.
At part 2 she is openly hostile to Meligaunt when she learns that he tried to kill Arthur. So that alone would make her want to hurt him. After the doppleganger incident she only wants to hurt him much more and that thought is first in her mind so she sends her fae cat with him. She will go first to Michaelsmount both to save Arthur and to exact her revenge on Meligaunt. While sending lancelot to find Morgana or help Tilda (which would hurt Grimmald, another person she want to suffer)

This playthrough also let me first time see the scenes when escaping from the ship with use of Morganaā€™s doppleganger, which i liked very much. In few sentences the mood alterated between funny and sad. That she was so more intelligent than other dopplegangers and cranky, but that she knew that she will cease to exist soon. When she still wondered about her short existence, but then the image of Morganaā€™s dissapearing clothes surfaced :). It was overall sad and serious, giving us more insight to different side of that kind of magic, but few funny lines makes the mood not becoming too sour. Thatā€™s very good writing.

5 Likes

comes back from break, sees over 300 replies O.o slowly backs away ā€¦Can someone just give me the rundown starting withā€¦ 3360? So I donā€™t have to read every single comment? Or at least any major stuff? O.o promptly runs away to not read it all

2 Likes