Good crime novels

Does anyone know any good crime novels to recommend to me for some summer reading? I don’t mean detective books. And I don’t mean Mario Puzo’s works because that goes without saying.

Crime & Punishment?

Anything by John Grisham xD like A Time to Kill, and The Pelican Brief.

@Havenstone

I read that actually…but I meant something that concerns criminal organizations, like mafia, drug cartels, etc.

Well, A Time to Kill and The Pelican Brief are more of lawyer books.

Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon

@Havenstone lol

The Day of the Jackal may not be exactly what you’re looking for but it’s an amazing read.

@Caruzzo Two I’ve often enjoyed rereading are Carlito’s Way by Edwin Torres (as is usually the case, it’s even better than the movie and it’s actually a sort of prequel to the part Pacino plays in the film, set before Carlito goes to prison) and Gangster by Lorenzo Carcaterra, which would probably make a great movie but is not very well known.

@Vendetta

Thanks, I’ll check these out.

I might be able to recommend some, but, if I may ask, are you looking for like real-life, gritty detective-novel crime books? Or more like sci/fi adventure fantasy?

Not detective. More organized crime. And no sci-fi and fantasy.

Oh, well I guess I can’t really help then :-?

I did just pick up a Mario Puzo book, but I still haven’t gotten around to reading it. Tom Clancy has some good organized terrorism plots, but they aren’t really the same thing. Sorry!

This probably won’t help at all, so feel free to ignore me:
If you’re into watching movies, The Raid 2 just came out, and while it’s a super-ultra-mega violent foreign fighting movie, it’s also surprisingly in-depth with deep cover cops, crime families, and relationships gone wrong. It’s not similar at all to Godfather or Scarface, though.

But don’t watch it if blood/gore offends you. If you can appreciate choreographed fight scenes, that’s one thing, but this is INSANE.