Gods of Rome (Gladiator WIP)

Some guys don’t like to mess around with gender roles like that, because it messes with their own immersion in a game. I can see where they’re coming from and I do respect it, even if I disagree with it.

Give a woman a hard childhood and let her practice with a blade for 10 years or so – you’ll see she has little difficulty in dispatching even the largest brutes.

Why broken his inversion? they are playing as males. And their existence is fair documented. They could fight with elves and mounting dragons but saw women fight wrote their immersion?

@FairyGodfeather Isn’t it funny, how the small, yet vocal, minority who are against forcing through bi-gender options, are matched by the small, yet vocal, minority who are agitating for both genders to be available everywhere? Where, then, does that leave the default?

Female gladiators existed. There are at least two artistic representations, and several documents that talk about them. So it is not unrealistic to include them.

@Drazen the default just wants to play and doesn’t care for petty fights between both minorities…

@Aquila There has always been a strange obsession with female warriors in culture, primarily because of how totally unrealistic they are. That the Romans had artistic representation of a group of people who, it seems, at best fought the deformed, surprises me no more than the Greek fetish for the [mythical] Amazons. Artistic representation is not a proof, otherwise we’d be knee deep in minotaurs by now.

@Drazen The Larinum Decree (Tiberius) banned senator’s daughters and granddaughters from training and appearing as gladiators.
Emperor Diomitian organized fights between female gladiators and dwarves
Dio Cassius mentions in his texts that women fought in a gladiatorial event during Nero’s times.
Septimus Severus banned female gladiators during the second century.
A later inscription at Ostia advertises “mulieres” (women) competing so the ban apparently was ineffective.

@Aquila What can I say, the Romans liked slaughter. It wasn’t just giraffes who had it bad.

Also there are the freaking skeletons of women with gladiator weapons the symbol of gladiator the symbol of mercury associated with gladiator in the gladiator cemetery. So yeah women fight in Ancient Rome dealt with it. And i will enjoy play as one.

i enjoy vendetta game and sabre of infinity i don’t care have to be men in these games. But here story could allows women because women fight in reality. You don’t have to play like one. But their were real.

@Proff I enjoyed it so far and hope you do complete the game. I watched the Starz show, “Spartacus,” and really enjoy that ultra-sensationalized depiction of Rome.

I love realism in games when it doesn’t get so heavy that I feel it’s a technical manual or history lesson. You want a game to have background and the flavor of a setting, which you’ve done. There also needs to be some degree of accessibility to readers, and you either want a specific market (college-age European History majors) or larger markets (16-30 year old readers of historical fantasy). It’s your story, your effort, so cater to your intended readers.

It’s interesting how you inserted a backstory option in the stats screen, as I tend to not see that very often in the CoGs and WIPs this website has to offer, especially in the ones that give you some degree of character creation.

@Drazen: Women warriors captivate the imagination because (aside from the fact that men tend to like the idea) they were, historically, so rare that they were automatically notable. A woman who is able to fight on the front lines as a knight is right there in that area where we can say it happened, but is also incredibly extraordinary.

@Ramidel I find it rather amusing how, even in the Iliad, the great female warriors of the Amazons were defeated. Shows that even though the Greeks had an interest, they weren’t stupid.

@Drazen: But of course. The Amazons existed so that they could be defeated by mighty male warriors.

Don’t take this as intentional realism, take it as intentional misogyny, and to the extent that it was realistic, that’s not why the Amazons were defeated in the poems.

@Ramidel Obviously not.

@Drazen why you hate so hardly all women? and always have that reaction against women? We aren’t ogre or monsters or stupid animals you have to dominate. I mean is annoying read women are this women are that each post. Are that you annoyed because women don’t want to be jailed and closet in their home like in your beloved old times.

From what I understand, Ancient Rome was indeed largely patriarchal. However, powerful and exceptional women could command the respect of everyone. Women weren’t immediately shot down and oppressed like they would be for centuries to come, especially if she was a rare and popular gladiatrix.

This would be a bigger issue if Gods of Rome were a multiplayer experience. Having 20 female gladiators in a ludus alongside 5 males would probably be distracting in it’s unlikelihood. This isn’t a multiplayer game, though. It’s very much single-player, so should you choose a male, you will experience the game as a male. If you choose a female, you will experience it as a female.

@MaraJade Now now, calm down, before you say anything silly.

@Proff It wasn’t largely patriarchal. The family structure was, de iure, patriarchal, I would agree, but in practice, women had a lot more freedom and influence than contemporary public seems to think; similarly, they were not shot down and oppressed for centuries to come. The notion that women were oppressed throughout history was, when it was suggested in the 1900’s, a very radical notion; it is only recently that theory has become commonplace, - unfortunately, it’s totally false.

Im calmed is you how couldn’t stop yelling about women. Maybe you read too much Nietzische .You could understand a woman could considered bad all your commentaries you know?

@MaraJade Disagreement over how women were treated in the past, and how they should be considered in video games, is not misogyny. So, kindly cease hysterically projecting malice onto my good self.

@Drazen is misogyny when you clearly negate the real facts and proofs than the women fight in ancient times. if the gladiator women fight in reality why you want to negate it in a game?. Second you clearly say that the women are included in games is horrible. I defend that women are no included in games like Medieval Moments don’t fit in the history. But with gladiator are really different. Rome was patriarchal true, but their laws and the life of aristocracy a women could have enormous power and wealth like in the Claudia family.And Roman law in the empire was better than Victorian.with the inclusion of some women friendly interdicts . Im not angry with you but i have to remember you women have sentiments too and your commentaries hurt.