Gods of Rome (Gladiator WIP)

Ha, gotta love those dialog options in Anders romance.

@The_Ravenclaw A lot of angry people or a few that make a lot of “noise?”

@fo694013 I’m not sure, but whenever I see a WIP without multiple genders, there are always people discussing it.

@The_Ravenclaw I’ve tended to notice only a few that make a real issue of it.

@Proff I agree that pigeon holing your audience is not a good idea if you are trying to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. I was simply expressing my opinion that cookie cutter gender roles destroy immersion for me. It was obvious to me that the Choice of Romance trilogy was written for a female protagonist. Playing as a male just seemed…wrong. Playing as a female character in Choice of Broadsides and your yet to be written combat heavy game would seem equally wrong. Again, this is just my opinion and I feel that I am not alone. Regardless of your decision, I will still buy your game. :slight_smile:

@fo694013 I think that could be circumnavigated with strategic writing. Having the option to choose male and female becomes immediately redundant to the rest of the game as soon as you choose one. The second you select “Male” every female-exclusive option and interaction is erased from the game. POOF!

I see what you’re saying, though. Some roles are more masculine and others are more feminine. In this, you definitely are correct, but each passing year is giving us a different look at gender roles in our society. I’m friends with a whole lot of unique characters. I know grown men who are girlier than my niece and I have an aunt who is clearly as butch as they come. She could easily snap me in half like a twig. Human beings are so diverse, it’s what makes us such an interesting species.

I may actually end up putting in spare time here and there in some gender-exclusive projects. I think it would be very fun to write.

Well I didn’t play the female gender MC but while I am by no means an expert on gladiators, there were female gladiators.

I also remember reading an article that the modern conception of the gladiator arenas as a slaughterfest wasn’t historically accurate, they were kind of like pro wrestling with weapons.

For example, think about it, slaves cost money, training is an investment in time and money, rich people don’t stay rich by flushing their money down the toilet, so a gladiator owner expected a return on their investment.

So “oops we’re going to need another Timmy” was not a typical attitude. I’m not saying that deaths and injuries didn’t happen, but gladiators having the lifespan of particularly depressed lemmings is not a good business model.

Also, successful gladiators could get endorsement deals.

@Proff Your aunt is an exception, but not a rule :slight_smile: My point is, I would prefer you not make a female option, but if you do choose to do so, I would ask that you make the female gladiator the exception and extraordinary (a novelty if you will). Just like they were in real life. Do not go the Choice of Broadsides route and completely switch gender roles as that was just ridiculous. Again, it is your decision and you have my money come release day.

You’re a persistent one, but I like ya. :wink:

I’m not going to wade into this argument except to say that I strongly approve of the idea of female gladiators. Don’t let the small, yet vocal, minority that are posting on this thread sway you from writing them.

I would suggest that rather than making the genders interchangeable take the same route that Slammed! did. If you’ve not played it I strongly suggest that you do so. There are differences between the male and female playthroughs. There are characters that underestimate you if you’re female and one of the final scenes, as well as a crowning moment of awesome, is only available to women. It also acknowledges throughout that the woman’s league is different from the male one.

Sounds great mate

Just had a playthrough, excellent stuff, impressed you can work on two different projects at once. I can already tell you’ve got a decent amount of options availiable.

@FairyGodfeather It may take longer to write gender-unique content for every scene, but I think it’s worth it, too. Slammed! was an excellent example of that.

@Proff love it keep it up

I noticed that you used the ancient names for every region but Spain, which was named Hispania by the romans. It’s just a tiny detail, but I found it funny.

@Aquila Actually, that’s a keen eye. I’m going to fix that. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t say do it for every scene, just where it’s relevant, or makes things interesting. Like I’m sure your nationality won’t come up constantly either.

It depends on the sort of story you want to tell though. If you want to go for one where female and male gladiators are equal, in both number and skill. Or one where the female gladiators are seen as novelties, which will make your rise as a gladiator all the more impressive.

I’d definitely not want the main character limited stat-wise according to their gender. I think a main character should be special, the hero of the story.

I actually do like the idea of being one of the few female gladiators (should I be saying gladiatrix?), as opposed to just being one of many. It makes it a bit more unique in acknowledging that the times weren’t egalatarian.

And I’d want to be able to knock out those who laugh at me with one punch. :slight_smile: Especially if they give me a free hit.

And wikipedia tells me that female gladiators fought dwarves. Will that be happening?

Ha, yes. “Bring forth the dwarves!” The arena is an equal-opportunity venue - if you can be mauled to death, you’re welcome!

Nah, the way I saw it was that, yes - there will be deviations from historical record. Female gladiators were rare compared to their male counterparts, if they existed at all. I wasn’t going into it to capture historical accuracy, though. Gods of Rome will be to gladiators and bloodsport as 300 was to the Battle of Thermopylae. It’s cinematic, some things are exaggerated and it’s all in smashing good fun.

I don’t offer chances to test your skills during every choice that pops up in the game, and I keep choices to around once per 2 to 3 pages. In the same way, I won’t always have branching storyline elements for different genders, sexual orientations, nationalities, etc. But they will be evenly scattered throughout.

Oh that sounds good! I’m all for the cinematic. Fun is the important thing.

I want to fight lions and dwarves and bears and be forced to fight to the death against my best-friend/lover/brother/sister/pet-dog, and defeat Spartacus and Maximus.

In one scene, you actually fight a lion WITH a dwarf. Literally - wielding a dwarf in hammy rage fists.

Nah, just kidding. Haha … or am I?

Im a girl also Im going start a carter of history this October. The female gladiator are totally reported. The practice becomes popular after the Brittania conquest and capture of the Brittania warrior queen Boudicca. In London was found a gladiator cemetery and around a 10% were women buried with their weapons and all the buried rite from gladiator.so its totally confirmed. I don’t understand why men don’t want hear about women fighting. You don’t have to play like one; so what this fuss about?

Women cant fight their place its at home caring children. You imagine a women voting or being soldier or judge or senator… Wait we are in secure XXI sarcasm