Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

I constantly die in this book. But that only motivates me more to beat it.

It some other books, there are almost no consequences to failure. But not this book.

Fun book, with a good challenge.

@Heonknov
Hmm, you might be right, I’ll definitely have to check up on it again! hahaha I suppose the historians on this forum might be able to help us out as well?

Yeah, it would have been a bit confusing - most casual gamers don’t really know about Iberia already, so going into deep technicalities would have been difficult as well.

@Sailendranath_Murmu
Ah yeah. You will have to make a choice between your friends from the ship. Hahahaha is that a statement post playing the game? Or before playing the game

@Observer213
Thanks for playing the game!! It’s definitely not an easy game so good job and well done with keeping at the game! I definitely tried to make the game a bit grittier than some of the others out there, appreciate that you’ve picked up on that and thank you so much again!!!

After playing the game… and what happened to MC’s best friend? Is it just me or the final opponent was the best friend? She was wearing the friendship band…

1 Like

She was.

1 Like

Isn’t it weird that she knows it’s you yet she still try to kill or be killed? She also acts like she doesn’t know you. Those bastard romans consul and master of two families must be responsible for this.

2 Likes

Just beat the game (I dont usually consider HG or CoG games, more like books) but this one was really hard. I did it a second time while looking at the code.
As I understand it is the first of a serie ? If so, I think there could be a bit more information on the stats screen (I don’t know if it is okay to talk about the code so I won’t but for exemple an attack and defense indication like Weak/Medium/Strong) and some choice could be a bit more specific so we could understand better what are the stats used . Example: one choice was Reach for my shield and required agility. Now I am not a native speaker but I think I understand pretty well, and something like Lunge for my shield would have conveyed the idea better imo. It could seam like I’m nitpicking but in a long and hard game like this without checkpoints, diying so close to the end was frustrating.

Anyway I really liked the game, and if a sequel is indeed coming I’ll happily read it ! Thank to the autor for the good work !

2 Likes

@Sailendranath_Murmu @N1GHTMAR3

I wouldn’t be so sure that she’s your best friend… just going to put it out there hahahaha

@LeBaloo
Hey thanks for playing the game! Appreciate it a ton and glad you liked it!!! :smile:

Quick questions to help me understand your feedback:

Could you explain this? In code is fine as well. Do you mean that some choices were not as clear as they should have been?

Some time it isn’t clear what the choice implies stats wise, like the example I gave for the shield. Those choices are scarce so not a big problem, more like something you could do for a futur book.
But since the game relies on randomness and other criteriaes (such as equipment) and not just stats, what I am saying is that it can be a bit frustrating to fail and not understand why. I guess since some stats check are explicitely hidden there was a reason for you not to be more transparant. And I dont know how you could do it since the code is a bit more complex than other games. But maybe a bit more informations on the stats screen could have helped. For exemple if your armor or defense multiplier (sorry can’t remember which it is) was 0.8, in the stat screen there could have been something like Armor/Defense: Weak. If it’s 1, you say medium. If 1.2 you say heavy.
I know you went with the realistic approach (hence the random I guess, the only real dowside for me I really don’t like random in CoG/HG, excepted for the creation of character ), but in real life we have more informations, plus our senses to assess a situation. All I’m saying is that it could be a good idea to show more of the elements deciding the result of an action. Obviously not multipliers or dice results (for the random ) but yeah something like a defense/offense stat
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right I see so more of an indication of what is going on and why the player might be failing certain stat checks? So instead of bombarding the player with numbers and stats, it can be more qualitative in a “high, medium, low” kind of manner. I guess it is quite difficult to mirror real life randomness and chance in an IF, a number of players commented on the hidden stat checks and the fact that the same decisions could potentially lead you down differing paths.

Personally, I like the randomness as it means that things are not 100% clear cut, for example when your strength is 59 and the stat check is 60, it seems a bit harsh to fail the player completely. I’ve experimented with graduated stat checks as well, for example if the player’s stats fall slightly below, the penalty is less harsh. But I guess from the player perspective it doesn’t come across evidently since the player is only going through one play through.

Thank you for the feedback though! Perhaps I’ll consider giving the player an option to decide in the future! (will have to figure it out!)

1 Like

Can you romance aurelia and herotalia?

What a way too end a relationship (Dionysia), is
that really her fate for good? :confused:

@TheReverse
It depends on your definition of romance! You can flirt, but if you want to get together/have some steamy scenes, it’ll be in the next book :wink:

@Jesse_Collins
What fate did you get? Hahaha it’s a surprise, what do you think?

Ok, I was just really surprised and a little disappointed. You know, building up a romance with her, then she gone all sudden. I thought you’ll see her later on but on opposite sides or you pulled a mean evil move and just took her from the game entirely just like that, crashing are romance with her :joy:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

As respect to the Gladiator’s author, please create a separate thread for Dragon Racer.

Thank you.

1 Like

It should get a thread once it is officially released. No need to clutter up the forum either, imho.
Until then perhaps best to take the hyping over the general games thread.

1 Like

I’m suprised it doesn’t already have its own thread. It seems weird that it has made it so far without one.

Is it out already?

This is the wrong thread for talking about Dragon Racer, perhaps we should get back on topic?

I know it’s wrong topic but since I saw previous conversation, I asked the question.