Gangstar (Interest check, possible development soon)

Er… Revenge is good and all but what if my MC decides to let bygones be bygones and go for the seat at big-boys table? (like Be Don Corleone) will the game end at revenge or it’ll go on? Or will it be a series?

2 Likes

I’m very interested about this i really liked gangster/mafia stories. Would 10/10 like to make my own gang and rule LA.

1 Like

I really appreciate all the support for this game and I have decided that I will release a demo, probably not soon but soon enough (after at least the next chapter of the Oval Office)

Thank you everyone! Keep an eye out for the demo, coming soon to a hope-the-writer-can-take-a-lil-break-from-creativity-and-unnecessary-stress near you!

12 Likes

I’m really excited about this!

1 Like

Atlanta would be good, not as prominent as Compton, but if I’m remembering correctly, it was the home of the black mafia family, a black gang that was a gangsta gang with aspects of a gangster family, but mostly was a gangsta one. There’s a documentary about them on youtube(unless it’s been taken down, saw it quite a while ago), is worth a watch. Oh and I’m excited for this too :stuck_out_tongue: , but I already implicitly said that in the oval office thread.

2 Likes

Honestly, L.A. might be used, but if you do it in the late 80’s/early 90’s, it’s a good place to use, along with Brooklyn.

Apart from records of crime there, there’s also the entire ride of gangsta rap, as a way for young, white, suburban white dudes to start glorifying and trying to imitate the lifestyle, along with of course, the dangers of the lifestyle and the combination of exposure through celebrities who had created personas around them of being Ruthless, Notorious Thugs who were just waiting to be put on Death Row because they didn’t care about the Aftermath of their actions, along with moral signaling by people in power as to how these communities were in trouble because of drugs and the decline of the “nuclear family” in black culture.

P.S. Bomus points if you get the references. :wink:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
You sir, are a genius :joy:

1 Like

He can join a neighborhood gang first, then maybe add a ‘taking over the gang’ plot or something. And if the player decided to take the ‘murderous’ path, I can see an option where you can kill your leader to take over.

And have you considered a plot where the parents turned out to be gansters themselves? Like, they could’ve been big names themselves and that was why a lot were after them.

2 Likes

Very good idea, I don’t think the “creating a gang” option would work, at least right now. And in your coup of power, it would be interesting to betray/overthrow the current leader all in favor of your agenda xDD.

This is the first time hearing this, and without giving too much away in terms of spoilers, it is a plot that could very well be in play :wink: We’ll see.

3 Likes

I’ve been going through the comments and i have to agree with both the ideas of “forming your own gang” and “taking over a gang” paths since both have great plot lines that could be amazing either on their own or together. In both paths you could be a behind the scenes leader who has henchmen do their dirty work or handle it themselves. These styles could have their own benefits in the neighborhood especially if their is a lot of violence and you aren’t a known gang member you could have a sort of Wilson Fisk thing going with being a crime boss and pillar of the community

1 Like

Please make this game and make it teen rated make it a violent game I like those games where you can be a violent ruthless fighter!

1 Like

@Spyder I’m not asking for spoilers with the question I’m about to ask, I just wanted to know does the main character know who killed their families? I’m asking because if they didn’t know who it was, and they basically joined the nearest gang, who’s to say they didn’t join the same people who killed their families? On the other hand, if the main character did know who killed their families, then they could join the rival gang of the murderers…

2 Likes

The MC not knowing who killed the brother/sister is the hidden beauty behind it. The whole time its a guessing game, picking and choosing who holds your trust. With the MC knowing, it takes out any suspense or intrigue about the killers, though would make for one hell of a revenge story… Rest assured, you WILL find out the murderers later, however i find it to be better to develop your identity and relationships with other characters first.

5 Likes

I can’t wait to read it :heart:

1 Like

i’m interested! but just a head’s up: gameloft has their own series of games called gangstar too.

1 Like

I vote for Detroit.

First step is your narrative goals. You want at least 5 preferably more. Define your narrative goals and the game writes itself. If you don’t define your goals up front then you’re running on sand, it takes twice as much effort to get anywhere and you wind up making a mess of things.

3 Likes

I would suggest Miami as it has a shit ton of culture and could lead to some racial tension among gangs if your interested in that

1 Like

here we go again…

1 Like

In my opinion before you choose a location you need to do intense research about the gangs in that city if your doing LA then Crips,bloods,nortenos, and sortenos, if your doing Chicago then GD,BD,BLOOD,Vicelord etc. and also incorporate the lingo and how they talk, You also need to make the gang life as realistic as possible if you need help on any information you can ask me as I’m tightly in with gangs personally so I know a lot, trapping aka selling drugs needs to be an element, going up in rank and having rank needs to be an element, to be quite honest the gag life is a lot more deeper than what people give it credit for. When you join a gang are you gonna be blessed in or jumped in, then you need to talk about giving knowledge which in is learning about the set and whatnot, learning how to stack as well because the finger twisted means something, there’s a lot if your going to do a gangster game this life is a lot more complicated than the mob because it’s a lot less organized and even then the mob is really intricate as well. Let me know if you need help with firsthand experience what goes down in a gang.

5 Likes

Gangstar!!! Lol :joy: that’s a great play on words! I love the premise and I would love to get revenge on those gangstars
mwahahahahaha

2 Likes