February 2022's Writer Support Thread

My writing goal is to just … write. I have my story all planned out but it’s tough.

I’m still recovering from covid, and beyond it making my asthma worse, I’m finding it hard to focus. I have the desire to write but a lack of energy. Hopefully it all gets better soon.

11 Likes

I’m not sure if this is the place to post it or not- seems like too much to open a thread just for the one question, I was wondering if anyone knows whether an *if can be tied to whether an achievement has been achieved or not, and if so, how? Specifically, though it won’t be important for a long time, I want special routing for if a certain achievement has not been unlocked, and would like to know if anyone has knowledge on how to do that. Otherwise I’ll need to figure up and set a variable; just that tying it to an achievement would be a large shortcut. To whomever might know, thank you.

4 Likes

It’s February already :sweat_smile:
Hoping to put out my demo for book 2 and maybe get my Patreon back up.
Happy writing everyone. :two_hearts:

11 Likes

Whereas I’m hoping to buy your Book 1, which is less lofty, but on the upside it takes a lot less effort which makes a perfect match for my laziness. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@JBento The purchase of book 1 is already a great way to support. Thank you in advance :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Not the original thread where the command first appears, but it sounds like you’re looking for something like this:

5 Likes

YES! Thank you so much, that’s exactly the type of post I needed! It gives exactly the type of information I was looking for!

4 Likes

I just… wanted to express how amazing writing down 1816 words of writing/script is after so long away. It may not seem like a lot but it feels like a glorious reunion, on top of editing through a stubborn bit that was plaguing me the past couple days. Just wanted to share some good cheer. Something is more than nothing! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

My goal for the month is to make headway into the third chapter of my wip and hopefully spend less time doodling than actually writing. On the upside my cat has finally decided that my table is not a ramp to throw my objects down from, tony hawk 2 style.

10 Likes

In January, my family needed my support, so I made that my top priority. Now that things are a little more under control, I can try and return to a more balanced schedule, at least for the moment. Exciting weather also got in the way – we had some snow, for the first time this winter.

This month, I’m focusing on my to-do list, again. I started the month by doing some research for a scene involving a character that I’ve been looking forward to writing for. Only a handful of minor supporting characters in my WIP have a disability, which to me, means that I have to be extra careful to make sure that their few scenes are as perfectly respectful and well-rounded as my skills will allow.

After that, I get to start working on a very rewarding epilogue scene. Some might say, what the players have been waiting for all game.

It’s gonna be an exciting month for me.

14 Likes

These last 2 years were rather depressing. I’m still struggling to write anything, but at least my health problems ended. Trying to work on the 7th chapter on my game.

14 Likes

So I’m excited because for the near future, I’m going to be able to carve out a couple days a week to just… write. So for as long as I have those days open, I’m going to prioritize writing as if it were my job. It’s been a chaotic past several months for me, and I was feeling down because my WIP progress suffered, but I think(!?) I’ve reached the light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, I wanted to say thank you to everyone for creating and participating in these threads - I’ve often been lurking even when I haven’t been posting, and some of the shared resources/advice have been really helpful. The discussion last month about pushing through with your writing even when you feel like it sucks and you hate it was exactly what I needed to hear at the time. :sweat_smile:

Best of luck to everyone with your February goals!

15 Likes

I’m feeling… rather discouraged from writing.

I’m absolutely exhausted, I’ve been forced to confront a lot of old trauma, my boyfriend just caught covid, and (though I am aware that my perception of this is probably very tinted by me currently being tired and mentally fragile) I feel like there’s been a harsh tone here on the forum recently, with a lot of negativity, and quite intense and opinionated posts.
And, I don’t know, it just makes me feel like ‘why even bother’?
Why bother putting effort into making something that’ll probably just end up being used as another example of some flaw or trope being unforgivable?
Because even if it’s not here, not these people, the only way to not have anyone loudly hate the games we make, is for them to be complete flops, that almost no one reads…
Is it really worth it?

14 Likes

I think that, for starters, it’s important to point out that there’s absolutely no issue in taking a break to recuperate from bad stuff that you’re going/have gone through.

To continue, I think it’s also important* to point out that:

• people who don’t like something are going to be louder than people who do; nobody notices when things go RIGHT. So if you’re using a trope that you see 10 people in the forum saying they hate, there’s probably like 50 buggers who really love it; and

• there’s literally nothing anybody can do that nobody is going to hate.

So on the whole, you might as well say “screw the haters, I have lovers” and DO, girl!

I wish your bf a speedy and full recovery!

*It’s not even 10 pm, how did it take me THREE TRIES to write “important” correctly?!

12 Likes

Damn I can hard relate to this post, I have a story stopping bug inserted in the middle of my demo I fixed a few weeks back only so players won’t realize how stealted and unrealistic my dialogue writing is.

All I have really achieved this week is working rearenging furniture in my room twice a day and drawing things I keep promising myself will eventually find a place in my wip to no means.

All I can really say is that my wip means something to me, as yours does for you. All we can really hope is that we’ll see our piece of resistance accomplished in some form.

8 Likes

Here I am with half the month passed by already.

I have done a lot of work on this project, which I am very happy with, although the results I can show do not represent the work I have done this month.

I do believe it is, yes.

One of the objectives of this monthly thread is to build a positive space, one where negativity and toxicity is kept out.

I hope this helps create a place to help us all keep at it, no matter the trials and tribulations involved.

8 Likes

A tad late but Happy Valentine’s day, everyone. I’m in a romantic mood. I think I’ll play Belle de Nuit :heart:

Ok I’ve played though a couple of chapters. I don’t like Amaryllis. She feels like the type to butt into any situation where she isn’t the center of attention.

8 Likes

Of course, it’s worth it!

I’m looking forward to reading your story! The important thing is writing and becoming a better person while doing so.

The million dollars earned afterward publishing a CoG story are a mere coincidence. :wink: Nobody wants them, but everyone wants to become a better person by writing!

6 Likes

Okay, I can’t hold it anymore inside: my wife wants to divorce me. :sob:

I can’t say how much I feel heartbroken. :broken_heart: What will happen to my kids? What will happen to my life? Will I be able to carry on?

I know I shouldn’t burden you with all of this. I should be firm and SUPPORT you all instead of weeping.

But today, I can’t do it. Sorry, people, if I’m not the usual “supporter” today.

The only thing I can think about is: thank you, everybody, for creating this “safe space” here. And thank you, “Lady Writing,” for allowing me to have a “safe haven” where to go in these troubled times.

Peace and love to everyone. :heart:

21 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that. That is so sad. Best wishes for you and your kids.

5 Likes