Favourite unpopular CoG?

I think Eerie Estate Agent and Star Captain are underrated (especially the former – where are the Scots contingent for this hilarious Edinburgher gem?) but I wouldn’t call them unpopular.

Of the genuinely unpopular ones, Cloud City is the one I enjoyed most. But then, I was a social science grad student. I’m the target demographic. And I agree on the weaknesses in the game; I wouldn’t call it one of my favorites.

With Life of a Wizard, when I got to the end the first time, having failed to either conquer the world or usher in a Golden Age… and saw that I could become the Archdruid, Archbishop, Archmage, or Archlich… and got challenged to make the “perfect party”… yeah, it grew on me. The affectless “chronicle” tone would be terrible for a novel, but it works just fine for a game.

I did find it very funny on a recent playthrough when I became an evil, murderous, all-conquering immortal lich, and my final recap was still in essence the same warm and fuzzy family-photo as ever: “I married my girlfriend and had a kid. I rode my horse Blaze, who is still alive because of my magic. Eventually I resigned and handed over the job of royal wizard to my friend. Sometimes I wonder if I could have done things differently”… but then I return to eating the souls of captured eldritch beings to increase my own unspeakable power while roasting my enemies on spits.

1 Like