Favorite CoG and Hosted Games of 2017

XoR is a COG title.

1 Like

XoR there is simply no contest there. For hosted games I’d say Evertree Inn followed very closely by the third installment of the Samurai of Hyuga series.

2 Likes

Probably Choice of Rebels, Heart of the House and Heroes Unmasked for me (Choice of Games). For hosted games Samurai of Hyuga 3, easy.

3 Likes

Choice of Rebels, throwing my hat in here. And, unless Tally Ho or Hallowford sweep me off my feet, XoR and Samurai of Hyuga 3 have taken the slots for my favorite of each category this year.

3 Likes

Heart of the House and Choice of Rebels won me over this year. So many more still to play, though, especially on the Hosted side! I’m not ready for the barrage of great looking games coming in 2018!

5 Likes

Since your professional business is literature do you think we might be looking at any future literature coming out of CoG that future high school and/or college students would have to hammer into their heads?

2 Likes

You should really give Tally Ho! a spin. That one came totally out of left field for me as neither the period nor the premise seemed interesting to me but it won me over in no time. If you only try one CoG game, screw XoR, try this!

:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I think we’re getting there. At any rate, Choice of Robots went over well with my Literature and Techology class. I don’t know that I’ll be teaching that class again, but if I do, I’ll certainly keep it on the syllabus.

7 Likes

Well, you know me. After spending so much time with so many versions of this game, it’s impossible for me not to name Choice of Rebels as my favourite CoG of 2017, followed closely by Tally Ho.

As for Hosted Games, I haven’t played a lot of them this year, but I’m looking forward tonspend time woth the third Samurai of Hyuga.

3 Likes

Cool, so do you think XoR (choice of rebels) may be worthy of inclusion?
Cause I think unless Vendetta ever gets finished XoR is about as close as one can get to the holy grail of XoR or interactive fiction in general for me.

2 Likes

I meant to say this earlier, but I forgot. Just a reminder that if you enjoyed a CoG or HG game from 2017 or earlier and you haven’t posted a review, please do it! I never realized what reviews mean before I started writing, but they mean everything in the various electronic marketplaces, and it’s the best thing you can do to say thanks for a game you enjoyed. That goes for old games and new games–even games with hundreds of reviews will still benefit from your rating and review.

It’s important to be a force of good against those who post 1-star reviews because these games cost money.

16 Likes

And, in my experience, people who post 1-star reviews because they’re upset it features homosexual romances and/or characters from non-white ethnicities. That can be a significant number!

11 Likes

Also, for those playing on Steam, I believe the games get seen by more people once they hit 50 reviews… so do please leave your reviews there to get more CoG games to that magic number!

11 Likes

Thanks, Eiwynn! If I’ve read those articles correctly, though, their changes are more about what proportion of positive and negative reviews get displayed–I don’t see an indication that their practice of displaying games more highly based on numbers of reviews (with thresholds in the neighbourhood of 50 and 500) is changing.

3 Likes

I did my part on playstore :wink: my review should be among the longest for all the CoG/HG titles that i purchased :smile:

Funny you mention about this… i remember not long ago , i had watch a video from youtube where a person was presenting some lecture about Pro-Wrestling (summer of Punk) with detail background regarding the world of Pro-wrestling

and i had notice that the CoG title from few years ago "Slammed!! actually following through with such “literacy” presentation about Pro-Wrestling, totally giving us more insightful review regarding why people were rooting for Pro-wrestling and why it should be view with a more respectful manner… Slammed ! provide as much detail as possible on all the “terms” used in pro-wrestling, as well as the works, technical skills and background politics in the wrestling world … i feel like Slammed ! also deserve a unique sort of literature-review which based on a real-life sport-entertainment business… This interactive novel was also presented in such an entertaining and good romance story telling that i feel it was mostly under-rated :slight_smile:

1 Like

You may be right and Evan was also a very good ro.

1 Like

Do you think? A few years ago people were assembling lists of the “classic” CoGs and HGs–maybe it was a poll?–I saw Slammed! pretty frequently on it. That definitely got me to try it. I was turned off by the subject matter, but persuaded by the glowing talk about it. It’s definitely on my top ten list.

2 Likes

Slammed was very successful, it just may seem a bit under rated now since it was released like 5 years ago.

1 Like

Choice of the Cat, Heart of the House and Tally Ho!

1 Like

I see alot of people espousing Choice of Rebels and Heart of the House, but I personally disliked both for different reasons. So I am guessing I am different breed when it comes to this.

My favorite COG was Versus: The Elite Trials(and if this was 2016, sorry), and Aetherfall Superlatives

As for HG, I nothing really struck a chord with me this year, unless Tokyo Wizard came out in 2017. I did like that one. I have not yet got to Samurai of Hyoga 3, as I just discovered the series and am still working my way through book 2. I suspect it will go pretty high up my list once I read it. I will also be trying out The Great Tournament based on the many post here.

Other COG games I liked this past year was Thief Taker, Villain Academy, Avatar of the Wolf, Moreytown and Hero Unmasked. So all in all, I thought this was a good year for the COG games, but not so great for the HG.

5 Likes