Fantasy Calendar

Thanks a lot mate. We’ll give it until tomorrow but yours is real good.

H20, the shy sage (historian) of the Tiberium Empire and creator of the Zodiak Calendar System.

4 Likes

…Now that I see it, nicknames seems out of place in court records. :sweat_smile: can I change it to Homino Hominem Ornitia (H2O) instead? hee hee :yum:

1 Like

Here’s a crazy suggestion to do with the Chinese Zodiac. If you got to a certain age on a certain month you would be considered unlucky e.g. if you were born on Prima (Monkey) and you were 9 years old you would be considered unlucky to everyone!
But it’s a bad idea so…I’ll just lurk for now.

Here’s my idea, just based off the fact that you mentioned Latin and it seems like there are some Roman influences so far.

From Wikipedia:
Kalendae (whence “calendar”), Kalends—first day of the month; it is thought to have originally been the day of the new moon. According to some ancient or modern proposed etymologies of the word, it was derived from the phrase kalo Iuno Covella or kalo Iuno Novella, meaning, respectively, “hollow Juno I call you” and “new Juno I call you.”

I think it would be neat to call the first month in this tradition, maybe “Kalendae.” And we’ll go from there:

1. Kalendae
  2. Feralia (based on roman festival of the Dead)
  3. Quirinus (based on another festival)
  4. Consulae (Based on Consualia: During the celebration horses, mules, and asses were exempted from all labour, and were led through the streets adorned with garlands and flowers. Chariot races were held this day in the Circus Maximus, which included an odd race in which chariots were pulled by mules.)
  5. Lupilae (Based on Lupercalia, a possibly pre-Roman event)
  6. Termanae (Based on Terminalia, in honor of the god Terminus, god of boundary lines.)
  7. Septimus (“Seventh month” is pretty straightforward, maybe 7 is iconic in your world, maybe not)
  8. Etruiae (based on the Etruscans, who I like to remember; maybe a heritage month?)
  9. Larania (based on Etruscan God of War because why not)
  10. Cellia (Etruscan earth goddess “Cel” a beautiful name)
  11. Fulfiae (Fufluns, god of plants)
  12. Selvae (Selvans, a “woodland god” (Sylvans, get it? Like elves? Like LORD OF THE RINGS? Took from the ETRUSCANS? You bet!)
  13. Eclipsim (latin for eclipse, based on my idea above :stuck_out_tongue: )

The Etruscans were older than the Romans, and were probably incorporated into their bloodlines early on. I think they are not well-known and so the references might be neat to find, and seem original to most.

Here are some interesting things they did with the days, since there is no “week” in your system you might have days designated for specific legal and political activities, as well as other days for religious and market activities.

[details=Designation of days] of the Roman calendar was marked on the fasti with a letter that designated its religious and legal character. These were:[21]

F (fastus), days when it was legal to initiate action in the courts of civil law (dies fasti);
C (comitialis), a day on which the Roman people could hold assemblies (dies comitalis);
N (nefastus), when these political activities and the administration of justice were prohibited (dies nefasti);
NP of elusive meaning, but marking feriae, public holidays (thought by some to mean nefastus priore, “unlawful before noon”, along with FP, fastus priore, “lawful before noon”);
QRCF (perhaps for quando rex comitiavit fas,[22] “Permissible, when the king has entered the comitium”), a day when it was religiously permissible for the rex (probably the priest known as the rex sacrorum) to call for an assembly;[23]
EN (endotercissus, an archaic form of intercissus, “cut in half”), for days that were nefasti in the morning, when sacrifices were being prepared, as well as in the evening, while sacrifices were being offered, but were fasti in the middle of the day. [/details]

5 Likes

Sure, anything you want :wink:

@CitizenShawn

Impressive research you have done, I like your suggestions. Indeed, Roman influence are present, though some of the countries try to detach themselves from it.

But we could also use both versions of the months names. I’ll see this with Knight and Neo, once they will be online.

The days also seem interesting, though some are quite the mouthful :stuck_out_tongue:

But really, thank you for your ideas, they help us greatly. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow this is very detailed! Impressive :grinning:

1 Like

Are your months broken up 30 days as my calendar can handle different day per month or the same. I know you have not officially said you are using the names yet but was going to program tonight so I thought I’d get it all setup for ya.

2 Likes

All days are equal in a month, all 30. And there are, as said previously, 13 months.

Thank you all again, you’re all awesome.

@Lordirish, I bow before your superior awesomeness :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lol there are others that are far more awesome on the forum then myself but thank you, just alway happy to be of service.

How many days are in a year for your world?

2 Likes

That would make around 390, I guess.

1 Like

Just wanted to make sure :smile:

1 Like

No worries :wink:

By the way, if you need help with anything, just tell me, I love to help as well :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I thank you for the offer but I am at a point now in my own game it is a lot of clean up and fleshing out of the ending, which I finally have one for the opening. CScomp is in the hands of the judges I am more on standby to answer questions.

So tonight is a lot of coding tomorrow will be more of the same plus a lot of map making. :smile: Doing the calendar system tonight will be a nice distraction for a bit. :wink:

2 Likes

One last question for now, my calendar also a counts for weather and seasons, will will you need this feature, and if so how do your season break down? Thanks.

1 Like

I’ll let @Knightstrike answer this, as we didn’t think about it yet, but it is be an excellent idea.

The seasons and weather are pretty much the same as most of Europe except it lasts longer. We probably won’t need the weather but the season will be good to have.

Spoiler again:

This calendar syystem is for the Sunset Lands which is basically our Europe.

1 Like

There are four seasons in the Sunset Lands.

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter

Each season last for 3 months. Except for the 13th month which is random.

The 13th month can be any of the four each year. What’s the explanation?

Well magic, that’s what. Hahahahahah…

Ok I sent all the info to the pm thread but thought I share the demo link here for all so if there is a problem found I can fix it.
removed

1 Like

Great! Thanks mate!

But instead of weather, can we have season instead?

Changing weather will be too overwhelming for us account for while writing. Whereas season is much easier.

Yep can change that out just need to know the name of your seasons.

1 Like