Seedship (Awesome Twine Made Game)

http://philome.la/johnayliff/seedship/play

Discovered this amazing game made via the Twine engine I thought I’d share with you guys and gals, where you play as an AI on a spaceship with the last of the population of Earth, trying to determine which random planet is humanity’s best chance for a new start. Randomly generated planets to check out and events which can happen to help or hamper your systems and seriously tricky to get a perfect situation, since your systems get increasingly delicate as time passes but also you have more time to tune the sensors to a perfect world.

My first try was awful since about a third of the crew had already died, the planet’s gravity was too dangerous for easy life and since a good amount of Earth’s culture in the computer systems had been lost over that of science, a harsh dictatorial big brother society was established by the survivors, which I wasn’t expecting! But a great game and totally free, so check it out! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I actually enjoyed this game! It was a little short, but then again I was a little impatient. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting my colonists to become allies with an alien race and become pacifists! Also, practically a third of their culture is that of an extinct alien species so… Cool! Here’s the stats I got:

“El Dorado’s calm ocean that stretches to the horizon a blue sky. The colonists live in squat cities of steel and glass with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Many of the planet’s native inhabitants live in the human communities, and the colonists’ culture has been enriched by alien influences. In the first city stand monuments to the 18 colonists who did not survive the journey and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.”

Score
Planet atmosphere: 500
Planet gravity: 250
Planet temperature: 250
Planet water: 250
Planet resources: 500
Survivors after landing: 982
Survivors after settlement construction: 982
Final technology level (Information Age): 2000
Native relations (Integrated Societies): 2000
Final culture (Cosmic Enlightenment): 3000
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1000
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1240
Total: 12954

Oh, and here were the stats of the planet, El Dorado, named after its plentiful resources.

Atmosphere: Breathable
Gravity: High
Temperature: Hot
Water: Planet wide ocean
Rescources: Rich

Features:
Edible plants
Atomic age civilization
Useful animals
Monuments

Sounds like you did a heck of a lot better than I did on my first try! Here’s my bio on the less pleasant world of Bounty.

Planet Bounty
Atmosphere: Marginal

Features:
Poisonous plants
Animal life
Regular geological formations

Gravity: Moderate
Temperature: Moderate
Water: Oceans
Resources: Rich

Bounty’s alien forests stretch away beneath a pale blue sky. The colonists live in cities of steel and concrete with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, beside rivers that flow into the planet’s oceans. The streets are filled with security cameras and patrolled by armed police who violently put down any hint of dissent. In the first city stand monuments to the 258 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 381 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet atmosphere: 250
Planet gravity: 500
Planet temperature: 500
Planet water: 500
Survivors after landing: 742
Survivors after settlement construction: 361
Final technology level (Atomic Age): 1750
Final culture (Dystopian Police State): 500
Surviving scientific database × 10: 880
Surviving cultural database × 10: 590
Total: 7073

I think I spent too much time looking for an ideal world and some big problems with several systems.

Planet Arcadia

Features:
Outstanding beauty
Plant life
High-tech ruins

Water: Planet-wide ocean
Resources: Poor

Arcadia’s ocean stretches to the horizon a pale blue sky. The colonists live in cities of steel and concrete with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They spend their time pursuing art, leisure, and spiritual fulfilment, while automatic machines take care of their material needs. In the first city stands a monument to the the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet resources: 250
Survivors after landing: 1000
Survivors after settlement construction: 1000
Final technology level (Atomic Age): 1750
Final culture (Post-Scarcity Utopia): 2500
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1190
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1000
Total: 9940

I must admit, it’s quite an interesting concept for a game. I like the idea of logical assessment and evaluation for a premise, and the minimalistic aspect of it gave it a nice touch. I think I did pretty well for my first go-around; it wasn’t perfect, but I like to think that if I happened to be in the shoes of such an A.I., the colonists would thank me in the future.

My second run was a little better with the world ‘Garden’, though I still ended up with colonists on a world with poisonous plants and a rather cold climate and high gravity, leading the survivors to be controlled by big business corps. It really seems to be how lucky you are and how easily you can balance the planet selection and increasing chance to damage to the ship. At least on this occasion the data banks were virtually untouched, in fact the planet has some alien ruins so that gave them some additional culture and it was very rich in minerals. So really it’s how much yin and yang you want.

Planet Oceanus

Features:
Metal-rich moon
Outstanding beauty
Plant life

Atmosphere: Breathable
Gravity: Very high
Resources: None

Oceanus’s mirror-flat ocean beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in low, sprawling stone-walled cities beneath the planet’s open sky, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. The cities are built around royal palaces, from which beloved monarchs rule the population wisely. In the first city stand monuments to the 92 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 477 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet gravity: 0
Planet resources: 0
Survivors after landing: 908
Survivors after settlement construction: 431
Final technology level (Medieval): 1250
Final culture (Benevolent Monarchy): 1500
Surviving scientific database × 10: 470
Total: 6809

I found one of the planet’s from Interstellar, luckily it ended better here.

Planet Arcadia
Atmosphere: Breathable Features:
Plant life
Resources: None

Arcadia’s alien forests stretch away beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in farming villages beneath the planet’s open sky, beside rivers that flow into the planet’s oceans. The tribes are ruled collectively by their members, and each member is afforded equal status. In the first city stand monuments to the 101 colonists who did not survive the journey and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Survivors after landing: 899
Survivors after settlement construction: 899
Final technology level (Mesolithic): 400
Final culture (Collective Rule): 2000
Surviving scientific database × 10: 130
Surviving cultural database × 10: 980
Total: 7308

Dang, awesome little game.
Somehow, sacrificing ship’s construction/landing module is more worth it, IMO.
It’s kinda funny, though, that my science/culture database in quite good condition but since there’re no resource in the planet, the humanity sticks at stone-age :laughing:

They’ll be like “our ancestor have robotic stuff, and we peel the potato with this stone?”

[details=2nd playthrough]
Because modern-caveman at treacherous mountain-y environment sounds awesome.

Planet Bounty
Atmosphere:Corrosive
Features: Airtight caves
Gravity:Very low
Temperature:Cold
Water:Ice caps
Resources:Rich

The landing system controls the seedship’s descent, and it touches gently down on the rocky surface. The colonists wake from their sleep chambers and survey their new home. A landscape of spindly rock outcroppings and impossibly tall mountains stretches away beneath a sky filled with corrosive clouds. They name their new world Bounty, because of its plentiful mineral resources.

The colonists begin constructing a settlement with the aid of the seedship’s damaged construction robots. They build their settlement inside airtight caves, which provide a ready-made shelter from the planet’s inhospitable atmosphere. They cannot leave the ship except in vehicles that have been specially built to withstand the corrosive atmosphere and freezing cold, but the corrosive atmosphere eats through the seals of several construction vehicles and kills 22 colonists, and 27 more freeze to death when heating systems fail. The very low gravity makes the work more difficult than it would have been on Earth, and 158 colonists die of gravity-related health problems. They mine water from the planet’s south polar ice cap.

Bounty’s landscape of spindly rock outcroppings and impossibly tall mountains stretches away beneath a sky filled with corrosive clouds. The colonists live in towering cities of steel and glass inside airtight caves, by lakes of water melted from the planet’s ice caps. Poverty, exploitation and crime are rife, and the corrupt elected government does little to alleviate them. In the first city stand monuments to the 207 colonists who died building the first settlement and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.[/details]

Awesome find thanks for sharing!

Isn’t there a hosted game being written about this sort of thing?
Planet Bounty
Plant life
Useful animals
Atomic Age civilisation
Monumental ruins

Bounty’s alien forests stretch away beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in high-tech cities with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, beside rivers that flow into the planet’s oceans. Poverty, exploitation and crime are rife, and the corrupt elected government does little to alleviate them. Many of the planet’s native inhabitants live in the human communities, and the colonists’ culture has been enriched by alien influences. In the first city stand monuments to the 593 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 30 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Survivors after landing: 407
Survivors after settlement construction: 377
Final technology level (Post-Singularity): 3000
Final culture (Corrupt Democracy): 1500
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1100
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1630
Total:

I’ve been playing this game for two days straight. Now I have my friends addicted! Anyways, here’s my best result.

Garden’s calm ocean that stretches to the horizon a pale blue sky. The colonists live in squat cities of steel and glass with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Traders and diplomats from the planet’s native nations are occasionally seen in the colonists’ communities. In the first city stand monuments to the 10 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 123 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Back Date: Wed Mar 29 2017

Planet Garden
Atmosphere: Marginal Features:
Plant life
Animal life
Paleolithic civilisation
Gravity: High

Garden’s calm ocean that stretches to the horizon a pale blue sky. The colonists live in squat cities of steel and glass with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Traders and diplomats from the planet’s native nations are occasionally seen in the colonists’ communities. In the first city stand monuments to the 10 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 123 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Survivors after landing: 990
Survivors after settlement construction: 867
Native relations (Friendly): 1000
Surviving scientific database × 10: 920
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1330
Total: 11857

1 Like

There was an attempt, it hasn’t been updated in ages so I assume it is abandoned.

Also holy cow genocide tanks your score. I spent ages trying to find a good planet, found one with 4 Green options and one yellow (Low gravity, damn you). Unfortunately, the cultural databases were a wreck after such a long trip (at like 32%), so my people promptly split into Post-Singularity City-States and slaughtered the natives. Now they live in a world on the brink of nuclear war.

Finally did it!

Post-singularity, cosmic enlightenment, and integrated societies:

Back Date: Sun Apr 09 2017

Planet Bounty
Edible plants
Animal life
Information Age civilisation
Monumental ruins
Gravity: Low
Temperature: Cold
Water: Ice-covered surface

Bounty’s tall alien plants reach hundreds of metres into a blue sky. The colonists live in tall high-tech cities with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on top of the planet-wide ice sheet. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Many of the planet’s native inhabitants live in the human communities, and the colonists’ culture has been enriched by alien influences. In the first city stand monuments to the 133 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 125 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Survivors after landing: 867
Survivors after settlement construction: 742
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1190
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1410
Total: 13959

1 Like

I thought I was doing well. Nice job.

Date: Tue May 02 2017

Planet Iceball
Atmosphere: Marginal Features:
Plant life

Gravity: Low
Temperature: Cold
Water: Ice-covered surface

Iceball’s tall alien plants reach hundreds of metres into a pale blue sky. The colonists live in tall high-tech cities with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on top of the planet-wide ice sheet. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. In the first city stands a monument to the the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1200
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1070
Total: 11770

That’s still pretty good. The presence of an alien civilization with makes a big difference in the final score both positive and negative.

I did not do well my first time. Was probably too rushed an picked a non-optimal world. Awesome game thought!

Score
Planet temperature: 0
Planet resources: 250
Survivors after landing: 926
Survivors after settlement construction: 613
Final technology level (Medieval): 1250
Final culture (Benevolent Monarchy): 1500
Surviving scientific database × 10: 600
Total: 7139

Best yet! I have too much free time lol.

Planet Oceanus
Plant life
Animal life
Pre-Stone Age civilisation

Gravity: Very high

Oceanus’s mirror-flat ocean beneath a blue sky. The colonists live in low, sprawling high-tech cities with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Traders and diplomats from the planet’s native nations are occasionally seen in the colonists’ communities. In the first city stand monuments to the 122 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 107 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet gravity: 0
Survivors after landing: 878
Survivors after settlement construction: 771
Native relations (Friendly): 1000
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1130
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1380
Total: 12659

I WILL RENEW YOUR INTEREST IN THIS GAME!!111ONEONEONE

Lol but seriously beat this.

Date: Tue May 09 2017

Planet Oceanus
Atmosphere:Breathable
Features: Poisonous plants
Animal life Post-Singularity civilisation
Gravity:Moderate
Temperature:Moderate
Water:Planet-wide ocean
Resources:Rich

Oceanus’s ocean stretches to the horizon a blue sky. The colonists live in high-tech cities beneath the planet’s open sky, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Many of the planet’s native inhabitants live in the human communities, and the colonists’ culture has been enriched by alien influences. In the first city stand monuments to the 181 colonists who died building the first settlement and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Planet atmosphere:500
Planet gravity:500
Planet temperature:500
Planet water:250
Planet resources:500
Survivors after landing:1000
Survivors after settlement construction:819
Final technology level (Post-Singularity):3000
Native relations (Integrated Societies):2000
Final culture (Cosmic Enlightenment):3000
Surviving scientific database × 10:1240
Surviving cultural database × 10:1260

Total:14569

1 Like

Arcadia’s ocean stretches to the horizon a pale blue sky. The colonists live in stone-walled cities with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, on platforms floating on the planet-wide ocean. The cities are built around parliament buildings, where assemblies of citizens rule for the good of all. In the first city stands a monument to the the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Final technology level (Neolithic): 600
Final culture (Egalitarian Republic): 2000
Surviving scientific database × 10: 300
Total: 7400

Planet El Dorado
Features:
Plant life
Useful animals
Atomic Age civilisation

El Dorado’s alien forests stretch away beneath a pale blue sky. The colonists live in cities of steel and glass with buildings sealed against the planet’s harsh environment, beside rivers that flow into the planet’s oceans. They live lives of peace and spiritual fulfilment beyond the dreams of their ancestors on Earth, guided by a combination of human and alien philosophy. Many of the planet’s native inhabitants live in the human communities, and the colonists’ culture has been enriched by alien influences. In the first city stand monuments to the 14 colonists who did not survive the journey, the 22 more who died building the first settlement, and the seedship AI that guided humanity to its new home.

Score
Survivors after landing: 986
Survivors after settlement construction: 964
Surviving scientific database × 10: 1000
Surviving cultural database × 10: 1290
Total: 13490

FYI, seedship is also available on Google Play (for those who hate the “primitivity” of web browser). Or perhaps, I’m missing the bandwagon here?