Evertree Inn by Thom Baylay

This is my MC’s information:

2 Likes

New chibis! My interpretation of Tobin

the former Mr. Risenfaal (but imagine a thin mustache)

and the being in the forest !

8 Likes

How high magic stat would I need to read Isaria’s mind in chapter 2? Or no matter what I do she is protected from that bc she is an elf?

2 Likes

Not certain of the exact stat, but higher than 66%, the max I’ve gotten as a magically-focused elf in the beginning. I can read Isaria’s mind as a somewhat-magical Brownie easily enough, with a “low” 70% magic.

3 Likes

I was looking at the others characters and everyone seems to have difficult to get Gold, is it that really difficult? :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

It’s not difficult, but not everyone want to steal to get gold.

3 Likes

Not everyone can steal for gold. Some characters have guile too low.

2 Likes

Everytime I re-play Evertree Inn, I feel a little bit sad I didn’t get a chance to know Isaria’s story some more.

Is Isaria’s death forever just a plot device for D to latch on to MC? :frowning_face_with_open_mouth: those poor Dandys/Daisys that go to Lux alone

3 Likes

More classic overthinking about D’s personality:

So, it seems more artists these days have been more direct about their frustrations with agents (example: singer Jesse Reyez “Gatekeeper”, singer Todrick Hall “Papi”, recent Weinstein conviction) using coercion of stardom promises for sexual favors. Topic is nothing new. (I recently read an article that mentioned one guy exposing himself to kid actor Shirley Temple for something. Her naïve giggle made him angry though, so she was “saved” that time? Except from being kicked out of the office.) Maybe the prevalence of such coercion from those in agent-like positions, could be a part of why entertainers in history (eastern & western civilization) were thought as pretty equivalent to prostitutes?

Anyway, got me thinking that this casts an even more positive light on Dandy/Daisy, to understand that they seem to respect Isaria’s boundaries! There’s insinuation that D did flirt with her, but they appear to respect that Isaria’s interests in sex/romance were for something else. (Or just not with D? whether male or female. Due to sexual drive? Or emotional baggage from one or both? We don’t learn more on that.) Plus she became D’s best friend.

Thinking I’d totally read short stories about these Evertree characters’ developing days from the past!

6 Likes

Well now there’s an interesting idea… :bulb:

As a more general update:
Been writing all day cutting and slashing at a sequence that wasn’t working. Unlike the last two books, I’m doing more proofing as I go with this one so hopefully it will need less tinkering later on.

Keep supporting and sharing your thoughts when you have them. I’m always in the forums even if I’m not posting and love to see the kinds of impressions people get, especially from the demo.

Tomorrow is career day. Got a lot of em to write. What jobs are y’all hoping to pursue in Lux?

12 Likes

I can’t possibly pursue them all, but I want to have at least one character become a detective, and one character pursue a criminal career, probably as an assassin. Oh! And Misty will probably keep wanting to become a scholar.

2 Likes

I’m so late to this forum, but I just want to express my deepest gratitude to the writer for sharing this wonderful series. I’ve found book 1 and book 2 to be so very well written and engaging that I finished them up in one day.

The characters are especially rich and dynamic; their dialogues are so well written and their individual traits endearingly fleshed out. That’s a very rare trait in many CoG/Hosted games that I’ve played so far (and trust me, I’ve played many). This trait is, in particular, my favorite. It just gets so real to see the cast really, really interact in lengthy dialogues rather than cold-and-cropped-up narratives. (Kudos to the writer who took their sweet time writing all those character scenes!) In choice games where choices impact relationships and character building such as this, I’d argue that the Evertree series should be among the top five.

It’s also so easy to immerse myself in the fantasy world through the superb narratives! Now I just can’t wait for book 3 and put on my detective hat again!

9 Likes

Thanks @felz, that’s so great. Thank you. Dialogue is my favourite thing to write so it means a lot that you get so much from the conversations with the characters.

@Hazel Great choices! The criminal careers have had a slight alteration from the demo so that they are more distinct from each other. I’m having a lot of fun with the scholar path right now too :smiley:

7 Likes

How to romance Gunther? And how do I save Wen, Mrs Durpree and everyone? I always end up being the found by Gunther as a survivor where everyone dies. Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Two steps for Gunther:

1. You have to follow him after he leaves at the meal and then avoid pissing him off over the course of your time together. From there, it’s intuitive. Just don’t be a dick and accept his offers.
  2. You have to have a ton of patience; it’s a slow-burn route so I wouldn’t call it a “romance” as such (at least not as of yet, fingers crossed for Lux).

There’s many ways to save Wen and Mrs. Dupree, but as a general rule:
~ Choose one or two skills to really focus on and target with your backstory (and possibly your race too).
~ Play to your strengths.
~ Avoid spending too much time in any one place in the rescue attempt. In and out!
~ Keep an eye on your mana if you’re a magician. If you’re running out or have a more minor problem you can solve through other means, switch strategies for a while.
~ If the threat is bigger, you need a bigger action to solve it. Keep in mind surroundings too. (It’s best not to use fire in the small wood shed fighting the centipede, for instance. Too much that’s flammable in a tight area!)
~ Make sure you keep in mind where they are and go there first. Try not to duck around too much. Once you save them, just get out so you don’t black out from damages.

7 Likes

Dandy is a super cute precious gem. :hugs:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed tips! I managed to save both Wen and Mrs Dupree thanks to your help, but I ended the game with 55% Relationship with Gunther and he still left. I didn’t romanced both Lamuel and Dandy and Gunther helped me in the Dryan. What did I do wrong? Thank you in advance :grin:

3 Likes

I think its around 70% needed for Gunther for him to acompany you to the Dryad

2 Likes

Not true.
If you choose “Wait, Mr. Ga’arl. Surely you have to investigate this tree. If that’s what is causing the attacks then you can’t very well say your case is closed yet.”, you need only 25 relationship with him.

And you only need 21 relationship with him for him to invite you to be his partner.

2 Likes

Damn,my bad then,its been quite a while since last run

2 Likes