Enforcers of Magic : Hope [THREAD MOVED]

I don’t expect yours crashes a lot, luckey, its like magic mine can actually function in the morning…

anyway, back on topic.

I’m not sure that it’d really be a flaw for the player to have a more obvious time choosing an element. If someone’s really looking for getting a fuller and more varied replaying experience, being able to more easily choose a different element means an easier time at experiencing the full options. I could see a lot of people thinking “okay, now I’ve done water I want to try lightning now,” for example.

Well, I did notice that the speeches after you choose a certain element tend to describe male characters more in terms of fighting, and female characters in other ways. This is stereotyping, so the question then is whether you want to present the interviewer as a person who stereotypes. I’d only suggest doing the latter if you really want to explore this as a theme, and have it be something that the main character can personally address. Otherwise, there’s really no harm to replayability in treating female and male characters the same way. Many people prefer this.

One bit of coding advice… rather than just have a single gender variable, you may also want to set additional variables for other words that will vary, so you don’t have to keep copying out the same text. Like, you could have the variable “kid” and set it to “boy” or “girl” depending on the choice. And then you can have descriptions like “You are a calm-minded, charming, and peaceful ${kid} who values intellect over brute force.”

2 Likes

I think the elements should have the same chances of being obtained. Why not have something like a physical test to see what element the MC responds to and go from there.

1 Like

You lost me at the coding :joy: :joy: :joy:

Im sorry… can you maybe link me the wiki for the tutorial for that specific type of coding? I have no clue what (kid) is.. ive always assumed the dollar sign thing is specific to names. Like (name).

I apologize for being a newbie noob. :joy::sweat:

And yes. I do want to portray the interviewer as a bit stereotyping. And a bit of a know it all. Because sometimes the MC players RP as may ofcourse be different than the one that are said by the interviewer. But mainly really I just wanted to offer a slightly different experience for when you choose to play as a male or female. But lately ive been thinking differently (after abit of research, feedback, etc.) I might scrap all that female male difference concept and just focus on the actions/choices that PCs take that shape their character. The intro as well, probably be working on a completely revamped version of it. (Trying to think about how I can keep Potty :neutral_face:)

2 Likes

Well, it’s not $(name), it’s ${name}. It works by taking the variable name and just writing it out in the text. If however, you use a different variable, you can get different text out. The code would look like:

*create kid "kid"

at the start, and then when the choice comes:

So, are you a boy or a girl?
*fake_choice
    #Boy.
        *set kid "boy"
    #Girl.
        *set kid "girl"
    #Neither.
So, you're a ${kid}, are you?

Is that easier to understand?

(And what was Potty, anyway? :thinking: )

3 Likes

Ahhh I see…

A bit better! Kinda get what TSSL is trying to say.

Thank youu.

(Potty is a dead pet…:cry::joy:)

1 Like

Cool. I just hope he isn’t mad 'cause I stole his reply. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I meant what species… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

OMG You guys DO finish each other’s posts!! :joy:

Potty’s species is open for interpretation :neutral_face:
(And by that I mean, powered by the amazing graphics engine of the Imagination…)

2 Likes

Oh, yes, I hate it when people make things easier for me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And yeah, you can use variables like that for any kind of text. For example, this would work too:

We've found that your element is ${Element}.

It’s very flexible :smiley:

You’ll probably want to set pronouns with the gender choice as well.

2 Likes

Did you think I was kidding?

:smirk:

5 Likes

We people here talking between us like half day everyday… So yeah we ending replying like Vulcan powers style… lol. Potty sounds like the place with babies are put to learning to poo …Just saying

1 Like

Well, I just know how much you love writing reams of text in your replies. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I thought Potty was your dead plant … or was that another WiP?

Yeah… Here comes Ts BEWARE A WALL OF RAMBLING IS ABOUT TO FALL OVER… HIDE YOUR PRETTY BOYS :wink:
Edit I am very rambling too but I am more GRUMPY SIDE…I AM THE CAPITAL LETTERS DRAMA QUEEN PREPARE YOURSELF FOR GRUMPY FEEDBACK

3 Likes

Nope no mine here poty is a Were babbies poo or a place to puke

Same here, although it could be used as an affectionate name for a plant, I suppose… :rose:

3 Likes

A poo puke plant sounds cool for a fantastic story…

1 Like

I can’t help it. Sometimes I try and then I’m like okay this time I’ll make a response to something that’s actually short and concise and doesn’t use more words than it needs to and everything will be great but I keep thinking of more points and more ways to say what I want to say and then I just type it all up but I’m never quite sure if I’ve hit everything I want or if it’s all I wanted to say and there’s constantly new things that pop up that I wanted to cover and I need to make sure I’m not letting anything slide and that I’m properly explaining what I want to explain and then I look back and by the time I’m done it turns out I’ve written a whole ream of text :disappointed:

That would be an amazing name for a plant pet :stuck_out_tongue: so if it’s not specified, you could always imagine Potty that way :innocent:

Ah, yes. In particular, walls of rambling about pretty boys are fairly likely, once we have pretty boys to ramble about :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I have written an 11 point analysis of a Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven character about why I like him so much :grin:

4 Likes

Any tips on how to write about Pretty Boys? Or their characters…?