Editing, modding...cheating?

I’ve hacked ZE:SH, but a couple of things

1. the way I’ve done it, and I didn’t touch any of the .json files, means it only works on my laptop, running it as if it were a game I’ve made.
    I know a few ways to fix this… but I also know It’ll take too long and won’t be worth it.

2. The game is super boring hacked.

Super boring.

I’d advise you to just read through the code to see the whole story / see more stuff,

And now the hack (although it seems you can’t upload (And maybe download) saves, so might be better for standalone games, but it’s hacked so you won’t be missing out.

Get an archiver/ something like 7-zip.
Extract the stuff from the apk, copy the mygame file to whoever your mygame file is (or just copy the whole thing) and press index (as in, run the thing on your PC)
Should work, but might have to delete some shizzle like purchases.

On the topic of that, I only realise now that you (or others) might just want the hack to circumvent paying out money, either for ZE, or buying the extra points, so uh…

Don’t do that.

If creator of things get more money (I assume, upto a point) they can afford to make stuff which is higher quality, and make more stuff.
And then make more money, and the cycle of awesomeness ™ continues.
After running the thing, simply edit it like it’s your own game,
My reccomendations is to add an extra choice in the start-up to play with hacks, and if picked on checking stats (edit Choicescript_stats) set health to max, more money, food, water, money in bank, max stats, etc.

Have fun.

(For the crashes, you either might’ve done it wrong or you’ve done it right and need to delete stuff from start up. It should tell you what’s gone wrong.

1 Like

Is it possible (or legal) to access the files of the games and edit the choicescript?

0 Likes

No idea if its possible but I am going to speculate on such an act’s ethical implications…

That would be editing someone else’s work, typically a full game that needs to be purchased beforehand, therefore creating a mod for public distribution would logically be illegal since its essentially a modified version of the full game that’s given away for free.

In theory however were the modding restricted to an individual’s use after purchasing the game and not given out to others then it would probably still be illegal in a general sense but impractical to be enforced against, which is assuming of course that modding is even possible in the first place.

Were instructions given out on how and what to reedit for users to reproduce another’s mod, then technically the results would be multiple copies of that mod (re)created individually via separate users for personal non-commercial use.

Although the act of giving out such instructions can be interpreted as advertising an edited version of someone else’s work for public use, hence warranting enforcement.

Mods for paid IF would most likely be illegal, the only instance where they might be indirectly permitted is when a game is modded for single person use, hence it never goes out.
On the other hand considering users would have to pay for the original IF in the first place to access its files then the author wouldn’t be cheated out of income and the players can enjoy modding the game for personal use, a scenario where potentially everybody wins.

Well it still changes the writer’s original work but would be similar to how PC RPGs are modded.

0 Likes

In my eyes, of people say ‘oh you can’t mod COG games because’
…'it’ll make it voting
Then why are guides common, which tell you what choices to make? Allow people to play games how they like
…'They won’t earn it (or something)'
Guides let you get stuff. Reading the code gives you pretty cool stuff since you know what choices to make
…'people will distribute it’s
I do kinda agree… but people can distribute the unhacked version anyway.
It’s really simple, but people don’t do it because they know more money for Cog writes increases supply, lower future cost and better quality.

So morally, for me, hacking a game you’ve bought, for yourself, (And remembering that COGs are single player) is perfectly fine, And increases a games value.

All we need now is a thread in which people make mods for these games, like play as a zombie in ZE:SH or make totally random classes in The Fall of Daria.

0 Likes

Equaling Guides with Modding to prove your point is a little… reaching, isn’t it?

To write a guide you don’t have to get into the game files. Some guide writers did, but from what I’ve seen the vast majority of people who make guides, even if it is just for one achievement are people who played a game dozens of times and know what stats are affected and what choices have what outcome.

0 Likes

Well, I don’t believe the games currently require an agreement to a reverse engineering clause…?

1 Like

Both you do for you.
If I make a guide, with a game I own and don’t intend to distribute, that’s fine for most people.

Yet were I to hack, mod, edit the same game, with no intent or ideas to distribute it and merely use it for myself, people look down upon that.

All I’m going to say is missing or even getting to the games code can immensely improve repeatability
(E.g. ZE:SH “Wow you can make Survnet Servers?”)
Or other games with hidden stat changes.

And honestly, many guides I’ve contributed to get the ‘perfect runthrough’ by looking at the code and stat increases.

When you buy a game, you also get the ability to look at the code too, and I’m not to say you have to but generally it can be helpful as 1) something to use to check what decisions to make 2) something to use to see all the different endings/ choices or even 3) something to use to model your own game after, like “wow that game has a really good crafting system” or “huh, multiple saving slots? Sign me right up!”

0 Likes

And there is your problem.
You think that the goal of CoG games are perfect runs. Judging by what I see on the forum and generally in the fandom that’s not the case however.
Most people rather get annoyed when a game requires to be played in a very specific way to get a decent ending.

And really. If you need to cheat etc for a perfect run etc… I doubt CYOA games are for you to begin with.

0 Likes

That’s where you’re wrong, kiddo.
Or rather, I’m the kiddo and you’re mainly assuming but still.
COG games (I realise that’s now like sayin PIN number, or ATM machine but regardless) are fun for me.
So to adress your point… COG games are for me.
They’re for anyone who can pay for them.
Legally.

You can say "aha these games are text based, we play for the story etc. Etc."
But when the story runs out, nodding it only gives it more value.
I think of it like ketchup.
Some games, so bad (or hard, railroad you into one class or something) I’ll douse it in ketchup

But others, pretty good, but when I’m fill or it’s lots it’s taste I could do with adding a bit of ketchup.

Telling me a game / group of games isn’t for me because I want to get a perfect rub after playing a game for a while, and can’t be bothered to play with a trial and error -esque strategy isn’t amazing, especially since if you say “Oh I’d never look at the code, I play for the story” that fine. I don’t judge you.

If I do the same, but then a year later instead of uninstalling something like TLH because I’ve played as every class I hack it, I don’t see the problem.
I beta test (some) games and try to offer helpful insights (as well as being another cog in the machine called… uh… COG) so I know the games are for me

EDIT: More like an addition.

That’s not my problem. Because I don’t think that. You think that I think that, but I dont.
But say you’re right, that you thought my thoughts perfectly, that isn’t a problem if it doesn’t negatively affect me or anyone else.

If COG / The author says "Hey, I’d really appreciate it / don’t hack/ read the games code, I’d probably listen to the game, because I rarely back games within a month of buying them.
I don’t think perfect runs are important, but once everything else is done, a few targets (e.g. Max out army stats in TLH, max Sciences in MetaHuman, craft everything IN ZE:SH isn’t actually that bad.)

The way I see it, what I do makes the game more fun for me, doesn’t affect me, but the only reason I’d think of not hacking is if it were a puzzle game (with the answer in the code, since that’s ruin the fun) or the author states why they’d prefer we don’t mod the game or look at the source code.

3 Likes

You’ve just proven my point…

0 Likes

Hey I get the sense you don’t fully understand what I’m saying, or don’t care, but if you would allow me to, I’d have nothing against giving any examples I can think of where looking at the code was helpful and made the game better.

0 Likes

Go ahead.
However. While it can be a boon when one is really stuck at an achievement for example, it might be helpful, but still it depends on why one is stuck.
Is the achievement just hard to get and requires creativity? Or is it a railroading mess that requires a very very specific way of playing that makes no sense in itself (talking about statmaxing here. Seriously folks, stop having stuff in there that requires statmaxing)?

Also saying a game becomes more fun when you can do a ‘perfect’ run… What is a perfect run in a well-written game? In a bad one full of railroading and statmaxing where the author seems to despise the idea of anyone straying from their path the answer is clear.
But in a game that has no true path?

0 Likes

That’s kinda what I’m saying too-- in TLH3 if you messed up the beginning because you tried to invest in too many skills you’ll fail tons of stuff.
If you went all into devices or something and realised “oh I cant go into anything else because of the reward system”

An example would be, again, The lost heir.
The author coded a small part, allowing you to utilise the Gloves of archery in a Tournament scene.

Except, unless you hacked the game, you couldn’t access the scene, due to prior stat changes etc.
The average user couldn’t report it because they wouldn’t see it at all, so were no one looking at the code i doubt this error would’ve been found.

In testing, being able to read and understand the code is super helpful, and I want to help other people too, whether it be simple formatting / missing a character/ spelling variables wrong to continuity errors, variables not changing as they should.

And mods don’t have to make it easeir, but the ones that I make I do to let me focus on the story more than having to make a choice that I will pass in.

An example would be me, making a mod to allow you to pick more challenges in ZE:AH (although I need to make sure they don’t overlap, I think it’ll be pretty cool) just for fun.
Or giving myself way more time so I can explore all the options, instead of making my home super secure and talking to like 4 people.

0 Likes

The example with the glove is a tricky one. To say that no one could report it ignores the possibility that (i assume you get the glove regardless before) someone might wonder what to do with it.

1 Like

Please keep the conversation family-friendly orientated.

Discussion is encouraged but turning an argument personal does no one good. It puts the other person on the defensive and the purpose of the thread becomes overwhelmed by such attacks.

Please be considerate of the community, each other and the administrative staff that runs this community.

2 Likes

Ah sure I’ll keep that in mind :slight_smile:

I understand that arguments might not contribute to an amazing forum experience, so I’ll try to be less personal / offensive next time.

And completely honestly, please could you point out examples of where I go against the rules/ act in a way that would be detrimental for luther users?

I try to be my own critic yet I find often I make assumptions and also expect others to understand what I’m saying.

Additionally, I’m pretty much inept at gleaming emotions/ feelings online, so I apologise for my occasional maladriot methods of conveying my point.

2 Likes

Whenever you turn things personal:

These are examples of things that may be taken wrong, or might be considered questionable … turning an argument to a personal attack is always the first step in taking it beyond the boundaries …

Think of it this way: Even if you are just replying to something another did (implied or explicit) it is often the person reacting to the original trigger that gets caught by the refs.

Basic advise is: If something someone says bothers you (them saying you have a problem as an example) flag the post it is in and a moderator will come and talk it over with you. Even if they think whatever it is you flagged is ok, you at least alert the mods that something is going on. Most of the mods here are very busy and they often do not see things right away.

4 Likes

split this topic #124

A post was split to a new topic: Questions, Concerns and Discussion on Flagging Posts

0 Likes

I love how there are people here who are so good at coding/modding the games that they talk about the morality of it when I can’t even open a game I modded with ought it bursting into flames and exploading

4 Likes

Haha I kinda learnt from getting help online, so I can totally try and help you if you’d like to learn.

I can say what nodding works well for me, how to biggest code errors/ look at code, my fav ways of modding (spoiler alert it involves an *if in the stats page) and the pros and cons of it.

But I won’t teach you how to sign it back as an apk.
Because that’s morally reprehensible, and allows people to illegally share the nodded game.

… or rather, I haven’t perfected that yet!

0 Likes