Editing, modding...cheating?

Well Dan was kind enough to get me started a couple of months back.
It is furthermore debatable whether the CoG text files even legally count as encrypted at present, which means that again in this country and most of the EU means it is perfectly legal to unpack it, no different from unzipping a .zip file without a set password really.

As for the rest, most of what I was going to say has already been preempted by @LordOfLA
Edit, except to share the link to the official version of the ruling, for those interested.

4 Likes

I don’t want this to be a protracted debate, so no need to do more than I already have. If others wish to try and out lawyer EU courts, they’re more than welcome to start a new thread.

1 Like

Yes you can do whatever you guys like personally, that isn’t a problem, as long as you own the game. I’m sorry if I still hadn’t made this clear: My only concern was that others might use this information to access and redistribute the games without CoG’s permission (modded or original), which is illegal.

However, seeing as Dan presented the method @LordOfLA did, I think that’s more than enough evidence to say that there isn’t a problem here. Thank you for clearing it up @idonotlikeusernames, and my apologies for any confusion @LordOfLA.

2 Likes

The games are available publicy on Steam, the Apple and Google stores and the website. They will be pirated if they haven’t already. No reason to try and shut down modding/source viewing.

Like I said earlier: People are murdered with knives, doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to go and buy a set in a store.

3 Likes

Would it concern you if I publicly said “you can press F12 in your browser to view the source code of a website”? Those who view the source code might redistribute it without the author’s permission, after all, which is illegal.

The situation here is pretty much the same, the only difference is that it’s not “press F12”, the steps are more complicated (but not by much).

2 Likes

Okay
So I downloaded the thing
Litteratly have no idea how to do anything else on the list
So I type in (nsp install -g) in the command console?
Then I type my way all the way to the steam library game resources with no interface besides commands
Then type (run command asar extract app.asar destfoldr (example would be folder MetaHuman_hacked))
How much did I get right?

You’re spot on pretty much. As far as I’m aware there’s no gui tool to unpack asar files so command line is the only way at the moment.

The commands you want are:

npm install -g asar

asar extract app.asar destfolder

If your games are in the default steam install location you’ll want:

cd “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Broadway 1849\resources”

If you keep the games on a different disk and steam library as I do you’ll want:

e:\
cd “SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Broadway 1849\resources”

Naturally adapt paths as needed.

3 Likes

Thanks so much! I can finally do so much stuff I’ve wanted!

You’re a very beautiful man thank you! This method has been the only thing that has worked in the recent games

test edit

[details="Summary"]
eeqeqeqe
[/details]

step 4 no longer works you can`t edit it

So has anyone checked to see if a hacked save file can be transferred to a future game?

Yup, my Lost Heir save went through all three, and I also modified all three.

1 Like

ooh how’d you do that?? (@Dark_Stalker)

I did it on android, I got an apk extracter and editor to change the json files.

I haven’t changed anything on a computer in a while though, I just remember there being a file where you can modify your save for steam at least.

1 Like

Huh, thanks for the reply but when I modded my game on android it wouldn’t let me upload or download saves?

Anyway around this/ how’d you get around that?

I didn’t actually have a problem with it, srry.

1 Like

Hmm, I think I know where I might’ve gone wrong.

2 things: 1 did you use a specific sig to sign it, and 2 did you edit the txt files, or just the .json?

The app I used took care of that for me I think.

Just the json.

1 Like

Aha!

Thank you for your help, I shall try again.

You’re the best.

1 Like