Dropbox discontinuing rendering of HTML content

So I just got the following email from Dropbox:

Hi Jean,

We’re writing to let you know that we’ll be discontinuing the ability to render HTML content in-browser via shared links or Public Folder. If you’re using Dropbox shared links to host HTML files for a website, the content will no longer display in-browser.

Please note that this change will take effect for your account on October 3, 2016, and only impacts how shared files are displayed on the web. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

Thanks for being a loyal Dropbox user.

-The Dropbox Team

I assume this means that Dropbox will no longer work for sharing ChoiceScript WIPs? If that’s the case, I have no idea what I’ll do – I know nothing about web hosting. :cry:

15 Likes

I’ve never used it, but some users like to use Dashingdon, right? I hear that’s a good one.

4 Likes

You could also check if your own internet provider offers your own complementary webpage with a certain amount of “free” traffic per month, mine still does, though I’ve never used it. Choicescript game files seem small enough that you could maybe handle the forum beta with it.

It is seriously bad news for some older games that are no longer actively maintained by their creators but still have working Dropbox links.
This combined with the choice of Google to discontinue Chrome PC Apps gives me the impression that a lot of major companies seemingly want to switch us over to a much less user-friendly “Web 3.0” or something. :unamused:

7 Likes

I’m going to cry with @jeantown. It’s hard enough testing these things! We didn’t need another complication.

7 Likes

Following…hope to find a new location to host the perennially-in-progress Cassandra of Troy. :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m going to need to find a new place to host the closed beta for Cryptkeepers of Hallowford too.

Crap.

5 Likes

Well, thanks for the heads-up. Looks like they lost my money too. I was only paying Dropbox Business rates and storing files there because it also gave me the ability to host my WIP link.

I’ll probably end up moving it to one of my husband’s sites (he has hosting space for programs and other assets he’s working on for a roleplaying system) but for anyone who doesn’t have that, I predict Dashingdon is about to get very popular.

6 Likes

I just spoke with the folks at godaddy (I use them for the CCH web site). It’s going to cost me $100 yearly to get what I was getting for free with Drop Box. Not the end of the world, and it would allow me to keep exclusive control over my files.

1 Like

Ah. Well this is quite a problem then… I just moved from dashingdon to Dropbox after taking forever to learn how to host it on dropbox (I was VERY proud of myself when I figured it out.), and a few of my testers couldn’t access dashingdon due to their anti-virus listing dashingdon as a harmful site.

I guess I’ll go watch paint dry as I try to come up with a solution.

Thanks @jeantown for the heads up.

1 Like

!{explative}! !{explativing} $!!{explative}!!!

Well. Well hmm. I guess… I end up trying dashingdon when this happens? T_T

Thank you for the heads up.

1 Like

Can we still get around it by changing the links manually like we do now?

Sounds like a lot of us are pretty worried about this.

If you have your own website, is there a way of hosting the files there? I’m not too familiar with how these things are done.

(Mine is a Wordpress.com site, so I’ve less flexibility than those familiar with Wordpress.org sites)

I received a same email only mine is still another month or so. Thinking of a solution at the moment…. Webs.com could still work?

@Lordirish Could You post links in Choice of box page? I mean you’re so awesome with that technological stuff, so maybe Choice of box could be a right place to put links or something. Anyway I want hear your opinion.

1 Like

Hmmm. Well I guess this finally gives me an excuse to learn how to inject the demo versions into Squarespace.

What a bummer though. That’s just adding way more extra steps and making things far less convenient for everyone involved.

2 Likes

No, this is the final nail in the coffin. I was a big a fan of Dropbox, but between removal of the public folder and this, the change in APIs (abandoning of datastores) etc etc, and their price plans (compared to say Google Drive), I’m beginning to wonder if they really care about the end consumer. At least if they made it a premium feature I could - begrudgingly - understand.

3 Likes

Not sure if the Dropbox hack info has already been posted here but it’s certainly another problem with dropbox.

EDIT: Dropbox’s own post about the hack: Resetting passwords to keep your files safe | Dropbox Blog

1 Like

Has anyone else had this email? I haven’t. Are they planning to phase it out, account by account?

1 Like

Me neither. I hope this isn’t just a bunch of people trying to mess with our heads.

It would make more sense to me if they just did it all in one go, so the absence of a similar e-mail on my end makes me suspicious. (Then again, I don’t know anything about how such things even work.)

My first question would be, how old are those accounts? Could it possibly be some other party trying to wriggle account information from people in this way? (Especially when you link these e-mails to the article @Eiwynn linked to.) (Yes, this is all pure speculation at this point, but it strikes me as odd.)

Edit:

The funny thing is that according to the Dropbox site rendering of HTML content through public links should already be impossible, yet our WiP links still work.

This screenshot is from the page about public folders, by the way.

5 Likes

I got this email at 8am this morning so after @JeanTown did but with the exact same end date.

2 Likes