Dropbox discontinuing rendering of HTML content

Yep, I have too. HTML service will be discontinued on 3rd of October.

2 Likes

Yup, got a similar email.

1 Like

And me too.

Thanks for being a loyal Dropbox user.

Well, not any more, mate. :angry: (Admittedly, I’ll probably still use it for backups.)

10 Likes

I haven’t received anything… Dunno why. EDIT I have just received it They had the idea of sent it in Spanish wven if until know they always sent me all in English.

I really do not have a good solution for this. We are working on a database so WIPs links only can be posted but my server really sucks for quick changes. It can take up to 24hrs for it to update an upload of a WIP file. Dashington looks to be the best choice right now if dropbox does change.

If someone is willing to write the database end of thing for public hosting I would be willing to run it but time with my job barely gives me enough to write let alone set something up and maintain it unfortunately.

4 Likes

You know how terrible I am with technology stuff from the contest lol. If not I would help :sob:

2 Likes

Lol your awesome as always Mara. :smile:

Awesome i don’t know But clumsy with technology I am certain lol;)

I got the email as well and immediately checked the forum to see what others thought. Seems we’re all collectively screwed. Lovely.

Obviously the best option now is DashingDon, and while I appreciate their services and use them for testing of unfinished chapters, I did greatly prefer Dropbox since there’s far more flexibility with customization. If I recall correctly, free hosting sites should still be an option? I haven’t looked into that in years, but surely that whole scene hasn’t changed much since then. Ugh, what a pain this all is.

I don’t really understand the why of Dropbox deciding to make this change. It kind of seems out if the blue to me. :unamused:

5 Likes

Mine too! Exact email (minus the name)… received email 55 mins ago.

If someone comes up with a solution, please share with us all :confused:

1 Like

Well I just recieved the email from dropbox, that bites big time. I am looking at alternative ways of hosting on my server as dropbox is where I host all the games for the CSComp. :frowning:

Rendering html, security, and update speed are a big problem on my current hosting package. Looking at possible new hosting company but they do not offer as much with out getting expensive, right now I pay 400 every three years for unlimited everything, but there not the greatest for security and such. I am looking as software and would even pay for a great program to install on the server that might provide better security and logins but not finding anything as of yet that works like dropbox. Anybody have any suggestions?

1 Like

The last time I owned a free website it was Geocities. o.O I’m sure everything’s changed since then. :stuck_out_tongue:

@LordIrish You don’t want to endanger the security of your own site by offering hosting space there.

2 Likes

[gets email]

[shakes fist at sky]

DRROOOOOPBOOOOOXXXXX!!!

30 Likes

Yep that is why I am looking at member login software first. It protects my site and those that use the site :smile:

Edit Seems I have found member login software I really like and affordable, but will be a few weeks before I can buy it. Still looking for a good solution for dropbox software that I can install on my server so any suggestions are welcome.

3 Likes

Looks like I’ll be looking for a similar alternative tonight. I’ll update with progress if I come up with something that’s free, simple to use and lets us share our WIP’s like they are now.

3 Likes

Aw, you beat me to it, I was going to post about this.

I’m guessing this will affect CoG after all. :frowning: all my betas! My beautiful betas!

2 Likes

I remember someone telling me there was a work around in ownCloud so may try working with that once I have my hands on the member software.

1 Like

Okay; I’ve uploaded my WIP to Dashingdon, but the save system doesn’t seem to work. Does anybody (@CJW?) know how to make it work? (Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.)

1 Like

Yeah, my first idea was to research alternatives to drop box. I have read about that one. Let us know if that one works?

My check list is: free to use (not trial), needs to public share links and actually works with a compile. But I’m going to go back to the first one I tried and try the whole folder method… because it just dawned on me that might work. It was so similar to dropbox but I couldn’t get a work around. Maybe because this is just distressing.

Right now, I’m trying my third site :confused:

2 Likes

Will you let us know about the ones that allow for the whole folder to be uploaded and run the game too?

I use the upload the whole folder method on dropbox, as opposed to compiling.

1 Like