Dropbox DMCA take-down notices

Dropbox has been showing DMCA take-down notices to ChoiceScript authors. To be clear: we are not the ones initiating these takedown notices.

Please send me an email if your game has been impacted, and I’ll see if I can help. But remember, I have no control over Dropbox.

EDIT: You may have luck if you download the latest version of ChoiceScript from github and use that instead.

8 Likes

Can we not just upload another link? Would that cause any legal troubles? My game is affected but I no longer need that link, do i still need to report it to you?

Report it to them anyways, so that CoG has more information on what’s happening.

Sorry i am a bit of noob at this do i PM him or actually send a email? What the email anyways?

The file being claimed as a violation seems to be the index.html in the “mygame” folder of the latest release of ChoiceScript.

I’m not sure who else has been affected.

1 Like

Sending me emails is always preferred.

This is definitely weird it’s affected at least 3 of my projects will check my other links when I get a spare five minutes.

Edit: i was able to play the demo of my cancelled project fine so @Cataphrak seems to be correct and it’s something to do with the latest version of choicescript.

Telling me “my game doesn’t work” doesn’t help me.

If you get a DCMA email from Dropbox, then you can forward that to me.

They haven’t actually sent out any emails. I’ll just go email you everything I know though.

@FairyGodfeather well, you were the first to tell me that you couldn’t use the the files in your DB, even though they weren’t public. That was useful.

Another dozen people telling me the same thing is less-so. :smile:

This is the key. Edit the index.html in the mygame folder and it removes the DMCA notice.

2 Likes

Yup, looks like that’s the case, any minor adaption will fix the problem. Undo it…and back to error world we go.

So not to mess with any codes or the likes just added “or” between like it? Hate it? Message in index. Back to coding I go then…well bed…long day…

I tweaked index.html in the official version up on github, so anyone who upgrades to that should be able to upload to Dropbox freely.

(We still have no idea why Dropbox flagged our index.html as a piracy violation, but this workaround should be effective.)

4 Likes

Hope it can be resolved. Might be many ‘old’ links affected that still host good games, but the author is not around at the moment. :+1:

The new dropbox update has disabled public folders for new users. I am not sure if there is already a post about this so i didn’t make a topic on this. But this may cause problems for anyone new who wishes to publish a game.

so is dropbox the best way to post demos? I have never used it before but seems pretty simple…

Unless you’ve had a drop box for a while, I personally recommend Webs.com now that we have the complied option.

Unless I am mistaken you also need to pay for Dropbox now to have a ‘Public Folder’ – that is, so others can access your game. If you have an old account, you should have it already, though, but not new users.

If I am mistaken, someone please correct me. :relaxed:

@Reaperoa oh…so how does it work? and no I have never used dropbox… are there any other options?

Work around for Public folder is here