Dragonslayer - Fantasy RPG (Stopping development, see post 288)

Hid dad help him? No that wouldn’t work out well…

Good game, I really like the story so far and I hope you continue to develop this game. I just hope that it is a long story with much replay value.

I liked the game, Life of a Wizard-ish, very neat indeed. If there is one thing that actually bothered me was the small font, but I can zoom in.

I encountered an error though. I had just killed the River King at the dungeon on the Sacred Elven River with a feat of strength, and went to check my stats. When I came back, the game gave me an error 502, and asked me to refresh the page.

When I refreshed, however, the game reset to its beginning, which always happens for these WIP games.

@GoldenXan
I looked around, and I haven’t noticed anything. Is it possible that you were playing when I updated, and it broke the game for you? I did a quick update that I had to redo a few times, and perhaps it broke for you.

The relations system has been implemented into the full game. I’m gonna try to put it into the demo now.

In my experience, when the file is updated the game brings you to the beginning of the chapter (text file), but it is possible that that has been a rare issue non-related to your game.

I’ll see if I can reproduce it later on.

@Ayzkalyn I bought the knife from the merchant. The items list added a compass too.

“A very sharp knife. An old compass.”

EDIT: When I buy 3x supplies for 15 gold, my gold doesn’t go down. Basically, we can buy unlimited supplies.

EDIT 2: I bought the amulet of summoning from the merchant. My gold didn’t decrease.

There doesn’t need to be a loop for buying supplies. You should pick no supplies, 1 day’s worth, or 3 days’ worth, and then just go. Only if the player is too poor and has to work should it re-show the buying supplies options, and not re-show the same paragraph above as the first time.

@Ayzkalyn This is impressive for your first game, and you’ve put considerable effort into it. You have a command of ChoiceScript. I enjoy the theme and genre, especially.

You mentioned being inspired by Life of a Wizard, and it was difficult for me to get past the voice/style of your game. Dragonslayer is very, very similar to LoW’s style, pace, and plot. I wonder if they are things you can do to make it more your own style. Granted, we all borrow or base stories on others, but Lucid has a specific voice to his game (and I don’t just mean 1st person POV) that I expect that of just his games.

It sounds like you have a lot more planned, so I am looking forward to the game as it progresses. Good luck on your project.

Until @JimD’s comments I was beginning to wonder if I was the only reader with similar thoughts. It will be an enjoyable read to be sure, but would be more fun if you made it more your own and more distinct from @Lucid’s story.

A few suggestions for “making it more your own” might be:

Inserting more dialogue/character development,

perhaps limiting the scope/length so it’s not another “birth to retirement” story,

creating some unique races instead of using orcs, elves, etc,

tweaking the pacing, and/or perhaps using a unique tone of voice for your narrator (perhaps using more over-the-top language or like Middle Age phrases) As it stands, the somewhat casual/conversational tone is very close to LoaW.

Changing your stats to make them more distinct.

I will say that your story is quite different from Dragon which used a lot of humor or tongue in cheek comments, particularly in the beginning. Plus, Dragon isn’t first person, uses very different stats, and you know, involves the reader being a dragon!

Good luck with your story!

@DSeg, I’m fairly certain you start with the compass

I have to agree with HornHeadFan and Jim. If you make it more unique, it’ll be even better than it already is :slight_smile:

Love it. Can’t wait for more

Are all the skills going to be useful, because in my first play through I built a blacksmith’s son who didn’t really accomplish much with his lack of fighting or magical skills?

@stsword
Although I did accomplish some things with magic, most of my feats were through intelligence, willpower and persuasion. I believe all the stats are pretty useful.

@DSeg
Gold doesn’t decrease after purchases, I’m fixing that now. You don’t get a compass when you buy the knife-- I’m not sure how you got one.

@stsword
It’s a little annoying because crafting/stealth/intelligence aren’t used very often in the game. I’m hoping to implement some systems that will let them accomplish more inside-battle, and just in general.

@HornHeadFan @JimD
A lot of the writing is dull and the bare minimum. I was really just trying to set up a skeletal base, and add on some better writing later. That isn’t a very good excuse, but remember that I said this is an early alpha.

Perhaps, just to change it around a little, I could make it so that 75% of scenes aren’t accessed in a single playthrough, and you get to pick what lands to travel to. It’d be a lot shorter, but have tons more replay value. My only problem is that every land is in a different folder, so it would be a bit of work to merge them.

I think the custom race idea is great, and I’ll be implementing that soon.

My idea for stats, was to make it so that alongside your physical abilities, you would gain “Perks”, basically little abilities like summoning and lockpicking. It’s not particularly well implemented at the moment, but it should become more prevalent. Not to mention companions that you can gain along the way, and items that will hopefully play a larger role.

It’s a little annoying because I just want to add so much into my game, that wouldn’t really fit in. About a week after starting something I always get a great idea and want to completely quit and work on something else. I’ve been working on this for an hour or so a day, but a lot of it is uninspired and forced out, trying to get to more exciting scenes. Hopefully the quality will improve with the second draft.

@Ayzkalyn Maybe I didn’t get the compass. Maybe it only got onto the list. If that’s the case, you should check your code for the listing of the knife in the items list. I don’t know if that’s the problem, but it sounds like it is.

@DSeg Good idea! I checked the itemlist, and when it was detecting if the compass was in your inventory, it looked for ItemKnife instead of ItemCompass. Fixing it now.

Just a tip: all of your variables will need to be entirely in lower case for CoG to accept it.

@Samuel_H_Young Why?

@Azkalyn
I’m not sure, but they had me do that to my gamebook.