Dragonrider (WIP) - Update!

I will work on this as soon as I can. Thanks!

First off, love what you have so far. I was quickly immersed into the story. So, I’m just wondering if this choice should be there… i managed to get 100% on the test but there’s an option to say "I could have done better, " can you do better than 100%?

Then I noticed you’ve used *hide_reuse for the school choosing part. Which, after looking at all the schools, left me without a choice resulting in an error.

I see, I will fix this asap. Thanks!

I just noticed this, I tried to use this so that you couldn’t re-enter a school but it looks like I used it wrong. I will work on this!

Maybe have the information available first, then as the forth choice send MC to the choosing page. On the choosing school page you can use the *hide_reuse.

So for info page something like this? (With proper indents… )

*label dragon_school
Heres a pamphlet on each of the schools

*choice
#first school info
Shows info on first school
*goto dragon_school

#second school info
Shows info on second school
*goto dragon_school

#third school info
Shows info on third school
*goto dragon_school

#ready to choose a school
Let’s hope you get in.
*goto school_choosing

*label school_choosing
*hide_reuse

Choices for your schools etc.

I hope this helps @Jackal. You don’t have to do it this way. Just a suggestion.

First time on the forums, trying to help out now so maybe I don’t correctly do this, or perhaps the bugs I report are already known

Take 1

Cadet line 283: invalid indent, expected 2, was 1

Thiarin a Female Elf Teenager
School of Darnaxus

Fought wyvern (made choice of focusing on rescuing the boy) then this error came

Take 2

“I’m so pwoud of you sissy!!”

Playing a male elf now, still getting called a sissy by my sister, may be a bug, or she’s a fun tsundere

• Darnaxus again, picked third option (help the boy only because I want to fight the wyvern) and it resulted in the same error as in Take 1

Take 3

Myriel a Female Human Teenager
School of Sylverius

I noticed that while in Darnaxus the required skill/ability number for choices was shown (might/fighting), in Sylverius they don’t seem to be. (I assume Agility/Thievery?) One of these may have to be changed. (I do prefer to see the numbers)

With Agility 19% and Thievery 10% the only other option (hiding) other than “run” was not available to me, and failed the trial. I wish to point out that this trial lacks alternative options compared to the first part of trial in Darnaxus where the skeleton appeared (It had 4 I believe). I suggest adding alternatives to get into schools, interestingly I think cheating with magic could work too (increase might/magic weapon summon or speed/agility boost could work for Darnaxus and Sylverius, using persuasion or physical abilities may work for Mykaal. Also had Luck 28%, I think Luck could very much work to get into any school as well.

Rushing forward could still work out if depending on “Agility” you are just extremely quick to run at a high speed or still be agile enough to avoid getting hit by the trap.

• Still Take 3, Myriel tried to get into Mykaal now, I only had the third option of LAVA! PANIC AND CAST ANYTHING! once the choices came up, before that it seems my character did cast “Sense Magic” automatically on her own though. Entering the “Wisdom in Conflict” room after that has no issues.In the “Morah” room again only 2 options, first greyed out, so I can only pick “Look for another way out”. My char stumbles around a bit then fails this school’s test too.

• Trying the last school, Darnaxus now, with Might/Fighting at 10%… of course only last option of the 4 is available, meaning I do fail the test once again.An error message also pops up and doesn’t allow me any options to get out.

Cadet line 421: bad label schools2

The actual story seems bugged too on this page

I pick myself up and decide that it’s time to choose a different school. page_break Let’s try this again…

Again, I really think more options to succeed would be nice.
… so yeah, Take 3 as Myriel a total failure. All 3 school trials failed, no option to get out of Darnaxus, and bugged out there too.
These were her stats:

Personality: 48%
Might: 12%
Luck: 28%
Magic: 19%
Agility: 19%
Thievery: 10%
Fighting: 10%
Dragonspeak: 10%
Dragonlore: 37%

Considering how the actual exam before it was all about Dragonlore, it looks weird that it has zero effect (as far I can see) on how you can get into a school. Feels as if a 4th school for knowledge & diplomacy may be missing, or maybe the Magic school is supposed to be that one.

Take 4

Trying a male orc now, the results with Take 3’s Myriel still sour in my mouth. A clever girl with persuasion skills unable to get in any of the 3 schools…

• Orc boy still gets called a sissy. I kind of enjoy this scene now, can’t shake the idea out of my mind the little sister is a tsundere imouto.
  • For testing reason tried to get into Mykaal first, failed that with Bobby the Orc, then Sylverius where this time I got with Agility 27% the other option for hiding behind the pillar as well (so I assume Thievery hasn’t had anything to do with this part of the trial), actual choice of using Agility or Thievery came after this. I don’t see why there was no similar choice earlier here to be honest even if you pick a direct approach, as Thievery could also include finding and disabling/avoiding traps, no?

Got first piece of armor here, Dragonspeak skill is mentioned here as in “Should have paid attention more in Dragonspeak class.” but as far I can see, there was no option to increase this at start of the game, even though as Take 3/Myriel I did pick ‘practicing dark arts’ option in hope it would increase Magic & Dragonspeak but instead it did Magic & Dark (makes sense though,I guess).

Rushed to weapons in new room’s choices. Not bad to have 3 Japanese weapons as choices here, but it did come as surprise that you have no classic western choice for Dagger or Crossbow, or heck even a quarterstaff for using it Robin Hood & Little John style.
/EDIT: Got past the combat, and see the options of Bow, Twin Daggers, and Oak Bo Staff (so the quarterstaff basically)

Bobby the Orc got into Sylverius, my browser just crashed so I can’t continue Take 4 anymore, would be nice if a simple save system could be implemented. I recall one last weird thing, about how the character got something with “Cadet Derrick” name on it from the dragon. Who the heck is that? Is the name supposed to be the characters? (As in my case that of Bobby?)

I hope I was able to help somewhat, ignore my observations and personal opinions as you deem necessary, I just found it easier to do this with adding my thoughts here during the “field testing” right away.

edit: just adding mention @Jackal so you may notice this easier.

Quick thing- when you select male for your character’s gender, the narration mentions your “chiseled chin and grisly features.” Grisly describes something that inspires fear or disgust (the term is often applied to slasher films). Maybe rugged is the word you were looking for?

Nice work so far, look forward to seeing the rest of it :smile:
I found when it said I wasn’t cut out for the might school I got the error
Cadet line 421: bad label schools2
and it wouldn’t let me go any further (not sure if that’s the end of the demo or a problem with the script)

How far have you got into making this, when is it going to be finished, will you add character customisation, will you add more races, and will there be romance!

Sorry for all the questions, just want to know.

Hey just heads up, I’m not sure how this particular author feels about it, but in general I’ve seen that most of the authors are not a fan of being asked when their story is going to be finished. It’s actually in the forum guidelines saying not to ask :stuck_out_tongue: Just letting you know, because it’s an easy rule to miss if you just skim :blush:

Oh ok, and by finnished i meant the next update, sorry.

minor thing with the names says i choose derrick then tell me i am called joshua? i take it thats a mistake somewhere!

“Well done Miss Grey!” I believe I chose to be a male on this last excursion.

1 Like

so i just wanted see if the game is still going

Nice. I like it and hope you’re still going at it.
I found a few errors.
At the end of the demo it called me miss when I chose to be male.
Also at the part where it asked what would I do if I was in a foreign land (where you do your stat increases) I chose the weapons options to improve might, but I gained no might bonus. It was still 10%.

I cant see the art on the post itself any idea why?