Donor: A Vampire Victim's Tale [GAME RELEASED!]

Okay, Elena. I’ve just re-loaded Chapters 4 and 5 of ‘Decider’ to Fanfiction. I’ll check to see if they now contain my edits, in due course. Hopefully, that’s the last of work for that story (allowing me to get back to working on another vampire-themed story for that website). :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @DenaFan ! :heart_eyes: Looking forward to checking them out!

1 Like

Hey, I just finished obsessively playing this over the past couple of days and just wanted to say I adored it. As a fan of Vampire: The Masquerade and other vampire media I have high standards for depictions of vampires but this one hit the mark in a major way for me. You managed to convey them as being simultaneously monsters and humans, which for me is what makes vampires fascinating creatures in the first place. Discovering little details about our captors like them having been married or having siblings does wonders to drive home the point that they started as a person just like us. It really paints a picture of how decades of seeing and doing horrible things can numb a person to the point of losing their humanity. And this mirrors Lenore’s own journey of becoming numb after months of captivity.

Despite being described as "light horror’’ I actually found it pretty damn terrifying at times. I don’t know if I’m just easily frightened but I found some of the scenes and especially the bad endings to be really intense. And the dark humor serves to ground the story and make it more believable, since in real life gallows humor often accompanies tragedy and trauma.

Also, the writing is so well done. It’s funny, concise, and conveys an appropriately gritty atmosphere. I liked that Lenore wasn’t just a blank slate but had an endearingly weird and unique personality. Her agoraphobia and addiction create a basis of relatability with the vampires without which the more cooperative paths just wouldn’t work. And as someone with intense anxiety, it was very cathartic to follow her journey, especially getting the happy ending.

Are there any plans for a sequel or another game in this universe? I’d instantly buy it.

2 Likes

Did you know the book it’s based on has a sequel?

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing it out, I’ll definitely read it.

2 Likes

@plemgruber Thank you so much!

Heh, I’ve received more than a few complaints about the “light horror” warning over the years. I guess I was hoping to convey the idea that the story was “fun” scary instead of “leave the lights on” scary?

:hugs: As a writer with an anxiety disorder, I can’t tell you how much that means to me. Seriously, I’m beyond words… :heart:

Glad you found the sequel, and @AletheiaKnights my thanks as well for pointing plemgruber in the right direction! Just FYI, there are also some AMAZING fanfics listed at the top of the thread :arrow_up:

2 Likes

You’re welcome!

I just hope I can find a copy of Bait on eBay one of these days. :sob: I hate it when books go out of print. I don’t suppose there’s any chance they’ll be picked up by another publisher now that you’re building a fandom here?

1 Like

:heart: That is so sweet - if there was another hard copy of Bait lying around my house, I’d offer to send it to you :frowning:

I actually did have the opportunity to transition to another publisher when Samhain went out of business, but I passed because I just couldn’t think of a good reason to go back to a traditional publisher (the rights are tied up, you have no real say in the cover art or the quality of the product, can’t make changes/edits if you notice a problem that the line editor missed, etc).

Amazon appears to have a print on demand offering that I’ve been meaning to look into, but there are still some changes I’d make to Bait before releasing it back into the wild… :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Awww, you’re so sweet too! Please keep us posted about that - I’m sure I’m not the only one who would love to grab a copy. Until then, I’ll keep looking on eBay - it worked to get me a hard copy of Donor, after all.

1 Like