Donor: A Vampire Victim's Tale [GAME RELEASED!]

Sure @cassandra_ryan! Can you just let me know what your Richard bored/irritated stats are at the beginning of the game? Once I have that information, I can walk you through the whole thing.

Not sure where to find those stats. My MC’s fear level is at 56%. I finished the full game until the dungeon mini games . There I got stuck.

1 Like

Ah okay! There are two versions of the game and you’re on the chapter 7b branch. My bad for not thinking to ask.

Starting with a fear level of 56%...

Can’t you give me another day?

• I appreciate that you don’t want to hurt me
  • You’re blaming me for all this?

Stumble backward

Stumble backward again

Can’t you feed again at the club?

• Sorry I asked

Does Paul know about this?

• Right.

Don’t I get a last Request?

• That would be nice

Isn’t Paul collecting victims to turn Charles? Can’t you feed on them instead?

• I’m on my side

After selecting this option, there were be a bolded option to Take a giant step back. Select this, and you’ve beaten the minigame!

Let me know if these instructions work for you. And happy gaming!

1 Like

Yep I forgot about that too - the 2 versions part.

1 Like

No worries! Hit me back up if the instructions don’t work for any reason.

1 Like

They worked.
Tips to beat Paul at blackjack?

1 Like

Blackjack is a lot trickier because the cards are randomly generated and there’s a possibility that no matter how well you play, you’ll just get dealt a lot of bad hands.

So unless Paul’s offering you a prize that you really really want, my advice is to refuse taking his bet in the first place.

Otherwise, use your secret advantage (card counting, seeing his hidden card, using ties in your favor, etc) to stack the odds as much in your favor as possible. Sometimes it’s better to stay at 13 than take another card if it seems likely that Paul is about to bust, for example. If you save before going into the game and make savvy choices along the way, It shouldn’t take too many tries before you beat him.

Sorry if this wasn’t super helpful, just know that it is possible to beat Paul at this game, I promise!

4 Likes

Hi there! I only found out about ‘Donor’ recently, thanks to the email about upcoming games from Choice Of Games. After going through it a few times on the trial version, I soon bought the full game. I’ve now got half of the Achievements.

It’s only by reading through some of this long messaging thread that I’ve found out that the game is based on two of your e-book novels. As to the game itself, well done!

A lot of the people on this thread seem to be ladies. I’m a guy myself, but I was hooked by the vampire hostage scenario in the blurb, which indeed would lend itself to a small-budget film (as you’ve discussed earlier in this forum). And I do agree that the MC should be a young lady, given the prisoner scenario. Though I do wonder if perhaps one of the three male characters around her should have been a vampiress, to provide some gender balance in the story’s network of relationships (possibly have a female version of Richard). At the same time, I can see that might not have been possible whilst you were setting up the Richard-Paul-Charlie dynamic.

I know other people have already said this, but I was also hoping for there to be a touch of romance in the story by the end (which there apparently isn’t). I’ve not achieved the ‘MC becoming a vampire yet’, but I’m already imagining how she and Paul/Richard could be, ahem, having fun in the bedroom - given that they might not be able to safely do it with humans (I write horror/fantasy fiction too, so blame my imagination…). Maybe there can be a follow up game where the MC is a vampire, has partially outgrown Richard and Paul, and has to learn how to successfully seduce and keep her own prey, without killing them? Maybe even romance and turn someone, herself?

In trying to get the ‘BFF’ ending, my MC tried to go clean from the Xanax - and so had few ways to slow her beating heartrate when she kept losing at Blackjack! I got killed three times in a row, after her heartrate kept reaching 100%. Very frustrating. For information, in the UK (where I am) ‘Tic-tac-toe’ is called ‘Noughts and Crosses’.

It’s been an eyebrow raiser to see how long it took from start to finish to get this game completed and released in its final version. Thank you for your hard work!

2 Likes

@DenaFan This post has completely made my evening, thank you so much for taking the time to write!

I’m pretty sure I alienated 50% of my audience and earned myself quite a few one-star reviews in the app store by sticking with a female MC, but I felt it was important for the tone of the story for the main character to feel completely isolated, underestimated, and physically outclassed (and, in my experience, there’s nothing quite like being the only woman in a room full of bros that will do that to you).

I also do think it would mess up the dynamic in other ways. If Richard were female, for instance, Paul would probably be bugging her to come hunting with him for food instead of the MC, who is suddenly a lot of less valuable to him. Not to say these problems couldn’t be solved, just that it might become a very different story.

Yeah, that’s definitely a common complaint. Romance would’ve been tricky for this story since the MC wouldn’t really be able to consent while in captivity, but I do agree it might’ve fit well with the vampire ending. Unfortunately you’re stuck with an author whose idea of romance peaked in 5th grade and essentially boils down to awkwardly insulting someone until you get their attention…

:heart_eyes: I love horror/fantasy, please let me know if there’s anything out there that I can consume!

This would be a really compelling angle, I just don’t think I’d be the best person to write it.

I had no idea that the UK had a different term for Tic-tac-toe! I actually like Noughts and Crosses better.

Were you ever able to finally get the BFF ending? Pro tip: If you already have all the items you need for that ending, don’t take Paul’s bet.

Thank you for reading it!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :blush:

5 Likes

I did actually recently get the BFF ending, following the advice you placed within the game (I’m very grateful for that) - after being killed by Paul three times in a row, when my MC’s pounding heart was too much for him. Now, do I need to take Paul’s bet in order to get any other Achievements, such as Happy Ending 7, ‘The One Who Got Away’? I did turn the old man away who tried to help my MC on the street, partly because of my aim being on getting the 'BFF ending', but also because I actually thought Paul would kill him.

I see that ‘Donor’ was published as a book in 2012, followed by ‘Bait’. Is there going to be a 3rd book in the series?

:heart_eyes: I love horror/fantasy, please let me know if there’s anything out there that I can consume!”

Where to start? My horror tastes centre around vampires and werewolves, but I’m picky. On books, I can suggest UK author Frida Warrington’s vampire series, though I’ve not read her latest book. Two of the best vampire books I’ve read in recent years are the thrillers ‘Blood Vice’ and ‘Ghost Soldiers’ by Keith Melton. Unfortunately, his third intended book hasn’t been published - because your shared publisher, Samhain, collapsed. On UK werewolves, I can suggest the ‘High Moor’ trilogy by Graeme Reynolds (he likes his gore, though). On the internet, I see that there’s four fanfiction stories based on ‘Donor’. Regarding fantasy in recent years, I loved the films ‘Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children’ and ‘Mortal Engines’ - and I’m partway through the Mortal Engines book series (good - but the solo film was better). And going back to fanfiction, if I manage to finish off my current fanfiction project on Harry Potter, would you have any objections if I ever wanted to write a not-for-profit fanfiction take on ‘Donor’ (with all due crediting included). If none, maybe I could insert a romance angle for Lenore along the lines I’ve already suggested? If that’s a ‘no’, no problem.

Anyway, when I get back to the game, I’ve still got avenues to try - including trying to befriend Charlie, who doesn’t make it easy!

Thanks for your reply! I do like the fact that you seem to response to everyone who posts to you.

3 Likes

Nope! You can get all of the achievements without taking Paul’s bet - it was essentially placed in chapter 9 as an extra chance for players to collect items they may have missed earlier in the game. For instance, if you missed out on snagging yourself some silver, etc.

By far, the most difficult achievement is “Certifiable Badass,” which requires you to locate Angela’s dagger. Paul may still not offer that to you as a prize, however, depending on your relationship with him (and you’ll need a very solid relationship with him to find that earlier in the game anyway).

To be completely honest, I outlined a third book in the series before my movie deal went south, but my heart was never really in it (much to the consternation of my agent at the time). I’ve largely explored everything that I wanted to with these characters already, so I’d need to be really inspired with a new direction before picking it back up again. Hope that makes sense.

I will definitely give these a try! I’m especially interested in the works you mentioned by Keith Melton. And I’m truly sorry to hear that another author was caught up in the Samhain collapse. :frowning:

Of course! The only thing I’ve enjoyed more than writing these characters is reading other people’s takes on them.

Good luck! You might even come to like Charlie once you get to know him a little better.

Thanks again for taking the time to write!

3 Likes

Are you telling me that Charles’ route is essentially a romance?

2 Likes

:rofl: You mean it wasn’t obvious?

5 Likes

It keeps saying there is an update and loops me back to the start i cant enter Richard’s apartment :cry:

1 Like

@Idon_t_havaname Thanks for letting me know! What platform are you playing on? I’ll reach out and let Hosted Games know about the problem.

My Samsung

1 Like

I know that I asked them to push out a couple of typo fixes maybe a week ago, so perhaps that’s what the update is referring to? Either way, I’ll pass this on and hopefully get you a resolution. :frowning:

In the meantime, my only suggestion would be to try uninstalling and reinstalling the game… not a real solution, though, if it causes you to lose all of your progress.

Really sorry about this, thanks so much again for reaching out.

1 Like

I re downloaded it i lost all my achievements :sob: but it works

1 Like

:sob:

@Idon_t_havaname I’m so sorry! Glad to hear that it’s working again for you, though. :heart:

Is it possible to get that one supplement dude from the club without triggering the “Uh oh you’re starting to panic” prompt? I’ve tried going at it with high detachment and heavy intake but it does nothing

1 Like