Disliked Elements, Mechanics, and Tropes

Superhero slice of life! Someone write that please.

5 Likes

wasn’t that what Totem force was about?

Maybe? I wouldn’t know, I haven’t played it. It’s too Power Rangers for my taste.

1 Like

I unironically love Dragon Ball Super for this. Goku and Vegeta will fight Goku’s evil clone and a deranged fallen god in the future and then play baseball a couple episodes later

1 Like

Have you checked out When Life Gives You Lemons?

3 Likes

Not really, sorry. :sweat_smile: There’s definitely more slice-of-life stuff in the first half, but I definitely wouldn’t have called it “slice of life”.

3 Likes

But it does feel like a mix, I never said it was a slice of life. LiliArch said she wanted a mix of the two, and your game popped in my mind. It felt like it had both, kids and schools, and well…Superheroes stuff.

3 Likes

yup! unfortunately it’s the only slice of life game that i know of that has a demo so i’ve replayed it to death already :sweat_smile:

you know what, i think i would like this very much lol. now i really want to find a superhero sol :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

I admit, part of me hoped that’s what the first Incredibles movie would have been. Not that I was disappointed how the movie turned out, but the superheroes-trying-to-adjust-to-civilian-life thing was pretty well done.

And, you know, seeing Frozone get dunked on by his wife. I’m pretty sure that was everybody’s favorite part.

“I am your wife! I am the greatest good you’re ever gonna get!”

“YOU TELL ME WHERE MY SUPER SUIT IS, WOMAN!”

In all seriousness though, I remember there being a WIP that might be dead now where you were an average parent whose child developed superpowers and so you went to live in a secret superhero city with a school for training superheroes, and your whole thing was you buying and running a café. I don’t know what happened to that story, but I remember the concept being kinda fun.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Hmm, no longer using CS, huh? I wonder if it’s on itch.io like When Twilight Strikes is now? Or maybe Twine, I dunno.

Most certaintly not a popular take but I’m largely done with anything that might be considered high fantasy at this point. Neverminding that a high portion of its mainstream just borrows far too much from Tolkien (as though no one other writer existed prior to him) while adding absoluetly nothing orginal to his ideas, so much of high fantasy is too tropish for me. Its near always escapism, and thats fine, but I can’t say I enjoy it as much anymore, or at least that I’ve become conscious enough of its constant tropes to find them only annoying now.

And much of what I’ve come to realise I hate about fantasy (chosen one protagonists, black and white morality, easily definable heroes and villians, empashis on the world and fantasy over complex characters, magic systems, general escapism, etc) are for many staples of the genre and something they actively enjoy. At this point, I think I just got to ditch it and admit its not for me.

11 Likes

There’s this slice of life game that I found on Tumblr. It’s finished, short and very sweet. The only thing is that one of the RO’S is a minotaur and the other an orc :sweat_smile:

The orc is a heavy metal fan, totally my type lol

https://dashingdon.com/play/leftski/apartment-3-3-a-modern-monster-romance/mygame/

Editing to leave here the Tumblr. The author have two other ifs, Raiders of the Caravan and Wolfsbane

3 Likes

The author is focusing on their other game, The Ballad of Devil’s Creek on twine right now. Curious Cuisine will probably get ported to twine after the other game finishes.

5 Likes

Thanks for the Tip, the game was nice and entertaining, the orc is cool.

2 Likes

At least when it comes to fantasy books, I really don’t think your criticism really hits the mark when it comes to post-2000 fantasy. Since the start of A Song of Ice and Fire, there have been plenty of fantasy series that have been/are gritty and/or with morally grey characters and that are way more influenced by A Song of Ice and Fire than anything by Tolkien. Stephen Erikson, Scott Lynch, Joe Abercrombie and Jay Kristoff are just a few examples of authors who are all quite different from Tolkien and whose books certainly don’t exemplify a black and white morality.

7 Likes

I was speaking more of high fantasy in that post, as that appears where those elements I mentioned are most present. I should’ve perphaps made that clearer, although generally a lot of fantasy doesnt do much for me as is probably apparent. I enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire somewhat (though it still has a lot of disagreeble and silly elements in it, but thats a whole other discussion) and I’ve most often seen that series classed more as low fantasy. Or at least its early books, that is.

In terms of black and white morality, which you focused on, I want to point out that it is only one aspect of several things that I generally dont enjoy in fantasy. And while it may not be as dominant as it once was, a lot of popular fantasty still treats morality quite simplistically (Sanderson, for example). But you’re right, of course, that many contemporary fantasy authors aim for so-called realism and grittiness. Yet, despite that, I’ve found much of them to still be as tropey as the works they attempt to subvert. They often just add more anti-heroes and blood and sex and call it a day, and again, that’s perfectly fine, but it doesnt exactly alter the fact that the works themselves are still mostly escapism. A lot of the various other tropes in fantasy are still present, and at this point I just dont care to read something that I feel I’ve read before time and time again with the same sort of cliche characters.

Martin, for instance, is still reliant on those tropes (but with a darker twist) and for all the praise his series has gotten for being realistic, its still very much beholden to the fact that fantasy, as is popular with its readers, aims to provide an escape. And there’s nothing really wrong with that; it just doesn’t do a lot for me anymore.

Edit: On mobile, so formatting and stuff is a nightmare. But this is a reply to natwa

3 Likes

I feel like this one is pretty specific to JRPGs, but given that I just started playing a JRPG which immediately did this, I’m gonna mention it all the same:

What is the deal with fantasy worlds and deifying crystals? I’ve lost count at this point of how many times this practice has been the direct root cause of nigh-apocalyptic events, whether by natural causes or villainous interference, and yet we keep doing it!

“Our entire world functions due to these large glowing crystals, and they cannot be allowed to come to harm.”

Yeah, let me know how well that worked out for you when one of the crystals gets chipped by accident and everybody dies.

10 Likes

I guess it’s their equivalent of electric power mcguffin… or maybe it’s an allegory for nuclear energy, I don’t know I’m neither Japanese or otaku.

2 Likes

There’s a crystalline Chernobyl every other week in JRPG Land

Guess I can’t really argue with that one, they do tend to be on the retina-searing end of the brightness scale.