Death Interest - (WIP)

Sounds like a cool idea! I’m hoping we have the ability to make our MC utterly sarcastic and freaking out. I can just imagine the MC running around screaming at the top of their lungs about what the crap is going on.

Cool idea, as far as the not zombies more psychos thing do you mean something like the movie The Crazies?

I LOVE your idea, but please make sure that the various escape scenes of your WIP are not too similar to the ones found in many WIPs on here. The concept of an MC trying to escape/join a cult is really interesting, just make sure your story is unique.

I’m linking a popular example of a cult-themed WIP below so you can play through it, and compare (if you haven’t already). With writing, it’s always important for authors to play through different games, because it improves your own writing style. It is incredibly useful to view how other authors coded their games, especially because it gives you ideas on how to code your own scenes (which is crucial for this type of game, where the results of choices throughout the game could mean life or death for the MC).

Monsters (WIP)

5 Likes

This sounds like an awesome idea! It actually kind of reminds me of a game that was more recently released, Night in the Woods, if you know of it. I think the whole quiet town with a dark secret (especially in this case a cult) has so many avenues that it can be taken down, I’d love to see this progress!

As for a title, is it just “Death”, or are you planning on adding more to the title? I think maybe adding a little more to the title might be a good idea? Death gets the point across as I’m sure in nearly all your endings death awaits either the MC or those the MC is around. So it’s definitely not bad, but maybe a word or two more to be more intriguing? Good luck!

1 Like

Sounds very interesting

I haven’t figured out a good and intriguing title for the story. I planned to think about it once I finish making chapter 1. But, if you have any suggestions for a good title, I won’t complain :grin:

1 Like

How about something mysterious like ‘In the Midst of Death?’ Or maybe “Madness is Merriment?” after the psychos, or something like that anyway? :wink:

1 Like

I’d suggest finishing the story first then naming it, otherwise you’ll end up trying to make the story fit the name, and not the other way around.

That said, how about something like “Besieged by Madness” for a title?

1 Like

So this seems pretty good so far but I’d recommend you also include the option for the player to be non-binary, not just male and female.

1 Like

May I ask you to elaborate? Its not that I don’t accept it, its just that I don’t really understand about non-binary genders thingy. I’m not even pass 18 yet so I hope you understand.

2 Likes

I’m going to refer you to this very informative thread about that very topic. I’ll caution you ahead of time, this thread is gigantic, so I would suggest just cruising through it and picking up a general sense of what it’s about…
https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/trans-discussion-in-and-out-of-choice-games/21305

Also, try this one…

Hope this clears things up a bit…:wink:

2017 is so complex. Anyways, I would like to ask if you prefer long or shorter intros.

1 Like

I personally don’t mind long intro’s, but it needs to be broken up into several smaller *page_breaks or at least paragraphs to keep it engaging. :wink:

If this is a survival game, then I would think that gender and sexual preference would be kind of irrelevant?
…unless romancing a certain person would lead to help your survival strategy somehow…?

1 Like

Isn’t that the best kind of survival game though? I mean, the ones where the message is 'Love conquers all?"

I do like the message of “Love conquers all.”

I also like the message of “Love conquers all zombies.”

My flamethrower is named “Love”

:wink:

2 Likes

Getting to choose the gender to corresponds to your gender in real life makes the player feel more immersed in the story. And, representation is always good.

1 Like

Yeah, as long as it doesn’t seem forced or ‘token.’ For me, anyway, it’s actually worse if there are options but only 1 if you want a certain kind of romance, especially if said option has serious personality issues that you hate. (Case in point: Kaiden from ME)…

@SirYetiBro

What exactly about true/false booleans do you need to know? How to write them for the CS code? How they work? How you’d use them?

For starters I’d recommend this page on the CS wiki: http://choicescriptdev.wikia.com/wiki/Data_types (Please let me know if I’m breaking the rules by posting this, I’m still fairly new to the forums.)

It talks about all 3 types of data which you can implement in your games, about half way down they explain how to create booleans and very generally how they work. There are also I think a few forums that go over boolean more too. I think if you search boolean usage or help with boolean in the “Game Development” section of the forums, you should find more there too!

This type of variable has 2 states, it is either true or false. Depending on the state, they can cause scenes to play out differently or add/remove options, give more/less info, etc.

It’s pretty simple to set up just like any other variable, you’d still do it in the startup scene text file:

*create variable_name false

In this case let’s take the variable ‘merchant shop’ and say for right now it’s false for the MC, because the MC has no money, therefore they have no access to the shop.

*create merchantshop false

Once they achieve whatever they need to in order to gain access to the shop, that part of the code will now work. For example, if they reach 50 coins.

You obtained 20 coins! Total coins now: 62 *if coins >=50 *set merchantshop true *goto_scene citycentre *else *goto_scene citycentre [more code here] You've arrived at the famed Dark Armour shop! It is run by a dwarf with blacksmithing skills like no other. Take care though, he's not particularly fond of those who can't afford his wares. *if merchantshop true *goto merchant_welcome *else *goto merchant_deny *label merchant_welcome "Well hello there young adventurer!" An older, heavily bearded dwarf smiles kindly at you as you peruse the shop's goods...options...etc... *label merchant_deny "Just what do you think you're doing in here?" A grouchy-looking bearded dwarf grimaces at you. "I don't take kindly to thieves." Since you didn't have enough coins to buy anything in his shop, he kicked you out!

So in the above scene, the boolean variable ‘merchantshop’ was true and the player would see the first option because they had 62 coins. If, however, the player didn’t manage to obtain enough, they would see the second option, because merchantshop would have remained false.

This is just one example of many, booleans are fairly versatile so it can be used in many other ways as well, but I hope this helps you understand them a bit more? Let me know though if that isn’t what you’re looking for or if you were wanting something more specific.

Please also let me know if any of that was confusing or if you need more clarification! (Also if I posted something I shouldn’t have, thanks!)

2 Likes

I just wanted to know how to use them. Your information helped me a bit. Thanks :smile: