CS NANOWRIMO (Group total for the month 371,602 WC Way to rock it out guys and gals!)

Mara as always puzzled where i get there? What is that image where i get it? I have to make a new account or i could use last year ?? :confused:

Yes, use your old account. After you filled in your novel details, go to Inspiration and Word Count Helpers and then Word Count widgets.

I am adding you as buddies i am a confused poisoner

1 Like

Maybeā€¦:expressionless:
Whatā€™s the communal CS convention, does code count?

@CJW Last time I did this, coding counted. I donā€™t know if you guys are going to change it up this time but if you had to count just the content in the middle of all that codeā€¦ it doesnā€™t sound worth the trouble IMO :b

1 Like

Code count due takes more time that just random write words you have to think it and takes more time that just put words. So it is fair that counts.

1 Like

I agree. A couple lines of code can take a lot longer than a couple lines of prose anyway. And, like you said, it wouldnā€™t be worth it to cut the game apart for word count.

1 Like

OK good to know, thank you all. Though Iā€™d write it in the IDE which gives two separate word counts (one ignoring *command lines), so it wouldnā€™t be any trouble at all to provide code/non-code counts - so may share both publicly anyway (if I join in).

I think Iā€™m going to take this opportunity to cheat. Iā€™m not going to worry about creating fresh content and instead type up some of the stuff I have written down and translate it into choicescript.

As long as I get something made I donā€™t think it matters what it is and the only person Iā€™m cheating is myself anyway. If I can use it was an excuse to actually make real all of my notes so much the better.

I have a few other rules for me.

No online roleplaying, no answering emails, and no replying to forum posts until Iā€™ve finished my word count for the day.I should probably add on no playing games (especially not on my tablet) until Iā€™m done too. Or at least have hit a specific word count for the day.

PSI: Psychic Student Investigates is actually niggling at me a little. Iā€™m tempted to type it up and get one of the vignettes polished. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to finish it anymore since itā€™s striking me as too similar to another much better game thatā€™ll soon be on offer. But I might as well write it for me.

I guess I will give it a go this year. Given the demands on my time, I may have to set a goal for a smaller word count.

Iā€™d like to get in on NaNoWriMo this time around, for the first time ever. Two possibilities of what I could doā€¦

1. Iā€™ve been working on a CoG game for the last 7 months or so, which is sitting around the 200,000-word mark. Itā€™s about 75% done, barring edits (and Iā€™ve had to heavily edit, so far). So, you know, NaNoWriMo could be a good way to try to blast through the last 3 vignettes of the thing.

2. Something completely different. Because, man alive, itā€™d be nice to have a break. I have a skeletal plan in mind for another game, so I could pretty much start at a running paceā€¦

I donā€™t know. Iā€™m thinking.

1 Like

@PaulGresty Well I was about to tell you to take the break, start something new, and then I realised who you are. So for purely selfish reasons Iā€™m tempted to say ā€œNo! Finish your current project first.ā€ But I wonā€™t be selfish.

I think with 200,000 words already written, a lot of heavy editing needed, those last three vignettes wouldnā€™t be ideally suited for nanowrimo. Youā€™ll need to go back and continuity check, youā€™ll be weighed down by all the previous baggage of the game.

Take the break instead. Smash out the 50,000 words of a new project in a month and then return to your other one refreshed by the break and finish off those vignettes.

@FairyGodfeatherā€¦ You know who I am? Jeez, Iā€™m not quite sure who I am most of the time.

Well, Iā€™m more or less finished editing those 200,000 words (the first six vignettes had a bunch of problems the first time through). They may need even more editing once theyā€™ve been looked over again, who knows? But, if all goes well, they should be - reasonably - edit-free from this point on.

Hmm. Wise words, anyway, FG. Continuity checking wouldnā€™t be that big a deal - Iā€™ve been fairly meticulous in my bookkeeping so far. And Iā€™m rushing to send off a draft to CoG by the end of October anyway, so that may bleed into early November.

Ngh. I guess I have another four days to figure out what Iā€™m doing.

You are Paul Gresty! The Paul Gresty! Writer of the excellent MetaHuman Inc. and The Orpheus Ruse! Of course I know who you are. I hope thatā€™s MetaHuman Inc. that youā€™re working on.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll choose to do whateverā€™s best and either way will come up with something great.

Iā€™m also joining, for the first time. Totally unprepared. Iā€™ll be writing a novel, though, not a CoG.

I think my writing ability is gone again. :frowning: I might switch plans and take the month to write something in Twine instead. Iā€™m not certain. Or maybe bash out a different project. Iā€™m not certain I have the creativity required to do the one I planned, never mind that it needs no creativity since everything is already skeletonned out and I just need to put in the hard work.

Oh well. Perhaps Iā€™ll feel better on the first.

Steer the course, FairyGodfeather. Whether a CS game or something else, have fun writing whatever you feel most comfortable doing during the month of November.

Also, feel free to take a break whenever necessary. Iā€™ve never done NaNoWriMo before, but Iā€™ll sometimes get into a fairly intense work rhythm. And you can do yourself an injury like that - drinking too much coffee, getting up too early every morning, that sort of thing.

So, if youā€™re doing NaNoWriMo, be comfortable with whatever you ultimately decide to do. And remember to chillax, from time to time.

Just to clarify for my own understanding, but weā€™re doing a CS version of NaNoWriMo right? Or short CS game that we blast out?

@fantom
This is correct but I will be posting my word and code count over at NANO.

I am starting at 81000 and will try to add 50000 more to the game. Was going to go start into the story but there is still far to much coding unfinished. I would more then likely have to rewrite the whole thing to fit into code I have yet to set in motion. I wish only the best to those taking the plunge, and remember we the sick and demented few willing to take on this madness, Have Fun. :stuck_out_tongue: