Consolidated Thread of Game Ideas For Authors

I’m glad you’re thinking hard about these things, one piece of further advice (see: Pathological inability to withhold opinion) is not to make your relics so ‘cool’. Not everything should be some sort of super-awesome twin-sword combo or Super-Effective mirror shield that is both incredibly easy to figure out AND unreasonably cool for (by your own admission) a 16 year old to have.

Your relics should be mysterious, confusing and unresponsive to all but the most obscure actions imaginable. They should be puzzles that evoke the strangeness of the unknown and arcane, not D+D loot-drops.

2 Likes

ok I think I get it
. Thank you but I’ll all honesty this will probs never become a WIP. I have no coding ability trust me I’ve tried. But again thank you I might just turn this into a story

1 Like

Don’t get yourself down about that, CS is a lot easier to pick up than any other kind of coding. Even I can manage to scurry from scene to scene with little trouble (If you knew me better, you might understand what an amazing endorsement that was. For now just know that I am completely incapable of learning ‘proper’ coding).

Nevertheless, if you choose to go the traditional route, good luck and feel free to come back here for ideas or feedback any time. People are always super excited to read new things.

@Waywalkerlover
I like your take on the relics idea but I don’t know if it should be as restricted as you say.

The relics could have been left by a fantasy/alien race that is now extinct/departed from the world who used them to power their cities. This leaves the relics unable to be used by the humans left to inhabit the world (go into as much or as little detail as you like as to how this other race was removed to leave only humans)

Following this humans have been unable to use the relics left behind. Most were destroyed by ancient civilizations, others we held onto as relics of the Gods. As the years passed by they slowly worked their way into museums and universities as relics of the past, of unknown origin and use.

Now, recently, scientists have found a trace of genetic code left within some humans. Passed down either due to cross species breeding (I know, but this is a fantasy were talking about here) or left within the genetic code by the other race. Those few spread across the world that hold this gene have the ability to active these relic however it’s impossible to check the genetic code of every human (and the discovery was only recently made and not yet published, hence the recent wave of relic thefts.)

Now you have a setup and reason for your teenagers sudden discovery.

That’s my interpretation though, whilst were getting away with that sort of thing :slight_smile:

And don’t worry about coding. It’s simple once you’ve got the basics down and if you need any help im always happy to offer some advice. Im much better at the coding than the writing (As seen by my own WIP)

4 Likes

Guys Got A computer time to put this ideas to work. I will Credit all of you for the ideas

1 Like

Awesome, what have you decided to go with for your story? One of the ones mentioned in the thread or one of the ones you first suggested when you started this?

Yiss… You must tell us which idea you’re going with. We needs to know.

Obviously if you’ve gone with the relics one we will also need to know whose rendition of it you’ve liked between Mine, @Moreau or @Waywalkerlover

Not that I’m competitive or anything…

2 Likes

Vaguely occult items at dawn!

Yay! As long as you don’t use the Chef idea we’re good.

P.S. I like @Moreau’s take on the Choice of Companion style game, and @Maxmansung’s Choice of Relics. Just thought I should put that out there.

2 Likes

Are you working on the Chef based game then? I remember reading about it somewhere, thought it was here but I can’t seem to find it now.

Also I count that as 1 point to me for the Relic game design.

I am working on it, but it sure isn’t gonna be done anytime soon. But it’s not really a “Chef-based” game, it’s more of a “celebrity chef hosts cooking show and either goes around challenging other chefs on who can make the dish or has like a “contest” like in Cutthroat Kitchen”.

You have made an enemy this day, sir.

Perhaps even a nemesis…

I went with one of maxmansung not telling what one I choosed I let it be a surprise. And I will credit you in it

Dont worry @Just_Because I will defend you to the end. Today you’ve done the world a service.

Also @Xavier_Kirton - Huh?! I’m not convinced that’s a sentence but it has my name in it, therefore I count that as another point.

2 - 0

I actually like both of your ideas I would very much like to meld both ideas, if possible

Oh goodness, it’s getting quite heated in here.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind whether you both wrote one. After all, @Maxmansung has proven his mettle already, and @Moreau seems like a fantastic writer.

So maybe a collab? :wink:

1 Like

A nice film noir type story would be pretty good.

I’d like to do a murder mystery in a D&D type world - with a twist. It’s set in the equivalent of the 21st century, with things like mages using computer spell checkers (pun intended) to proofread their spells before printing them to scrolls, Elfs armed with sniper rifles, and stuff like that. Yes, like Shadowrun without the cyberpunk.

A game set in when the big volcano buried the ancient Roman city of Pompeii under a thick carpet of volcanic ash. The ending could be the MC dead or alive wahoo. That all. I can’t think to add more. Just that it sounds cools. The title can be anything really, I think Pompeii is already used a lot?