Community College Hero: Releasing Soon

This is a great game so far so I bet that this could be the first one to do so (unless another one has.) But my point is that you shouldn’t be bothered by it as it is a great game and will do well.

Exact revenue figures would take either an hour of digging, a paid subscription a firm that tracks app revenue, or a bunch of emails to CoG authors (I guess you could always ask the CoG staff, but profit/loss figures are usually kept private.)

However, just to give you some idea, there have been times in CoG’s history when a main label game would have been better off taking the $10K than a cut of the profits - so they made less than that. Tin Star is, going by visibility and reviews, probably one of the most successful HGs (it’s hard to tell whether there are other games that are close.)

Based on revenue trends and currently collected money, Tin Star is valued at just over $70,000. This is because it has a higher price that is justified by more length, and no reviews under 4-5 stars (ever, as far as I can tell!) It also does seem to be one of the most downloaded HGs in terms of basic number of sales (hard to tell without the things I mentioned earlier.)

So, here’s your model for a successful game:

Edit:
I’ve found that some other HGs are also valued highly; as of now, Zombie Exodus and Life of a Wizard are both considered very successful.

1 Like

That is some interesting info, although I was just really wondering out loud. One of those stream of consciousness type things.

I signed up and now I’m plugging in all the Hgs I can think of to see if any of them are “valued” at more than GoGs

With app revenue and best HG book I thought Way Walkers would of tooken at least top because of its sequel and first game but Tin Star I played the beta and dam gosh was it so good. What about “Monster High School” in the future could be really good!:yum:

I don’t buy every game, but I buy HG as readily as CoG. Main criteria is whether I would at least enjoy it once. I have games in both ‘camps’ I still play over and over (baseline there is re-playability with even the ‘same’ character). :blush:

This game hold such promise, for instance. :smiley:

@JTAL, thanks for saying it holds promise! I hope it does, because I’m kinda committed to spending the next 1.5 to 2 years finishing the trilogy.

GENERAL QUESTION:

Beta is almost done, and I’ll have a few months of not doing a whole lot of work on CCH. I might get a headstart on Part II, but I really want to wait until I get some more reader feedback after Part I’s launch before I decide on certain plot possibilities.

Anyway, I will be working on “linearizing” (if that’s a word) Part I to convert it into the first part of a traditional novel (and possibly graphic novel if I can ever save up enough money for a full time artist) so my question is:

QUESTION: For the “traditional novel” version of CCH, do you think the MC could be developed into an interesting, well-rounded character that would hold reader interest, or do you think I should consider shifting someone like Crook or Tress or even Stoic into the main character slot? The story might even stay in first person POV since that would require less conversion of narrative, but that would place a LOT of emphasis on the main character, so I’d want it to be someone readers would identify with.

I don’t think I was very clear so I edited the question.

The question was only geared towards the traditional novel CCH adaptation. The interactive version would continue forward as planned with the same MC as in Part I.

Oh wait, on second read, it’s pretty obvious the question was about the CCH novel. Sorry, my bad :sweat_smile:

I think a fair part of Crook and Stoic’s charm is the fact that the reader has no idea what they’re thinking and what their motives are. If the story took on a first person perspective, a lot of those secrets would be either be strongly implied or given away. Third person might be more suitable?

I still sway towards a non-powered main character mainly because of his/her family secret and the fact that he/she’s the non-powered hero in a school which is otherwise full of powered students. That said, there’s lots of good introspection material for the character, too. S/he can ponder what really is the dividing line between being a villain and a hero (since s/he does see more than a flat image villain of his/her own father).

Although, if you do choose to continue with the MC, I think using a cheeky and witty demeanor to mask a deeper sense of cut-throatedness (since getting that scholarship does pretty much demand that) would be fresh.

GENERAL ANSWER:

Plot the possibilities! :grin: And yes, linearising is indeed a word.

ANSWER: I think it would work fine with the MC as the protagonist in a novelisation of this/these games. Most (!?) of us can more readily relate to someone without super powers among those that are gifted (and/or cursed) with such abilities. Plus once the reader realise (if they do not already) there are games too, they may want to jump in and see what they can do differently.

That is my take on it, any way. :relaxed:

ANSWER: Personally, after reading too much “_____ of Haruhi Suzumiya” I say do first person! And use the MC as the character. Maybe make them a snarky character too (Okay that part MIGHT be influenced by Haruhi, but I digress.)

Even if I didn’t read Haruhi Suzumiya i’d still give mostly the same suggestions (maybe without the snarky part.)

1 Like

Hmmm, I think that keeping the main character as the protagonist for the novel adaptation would be better. I think that shifting the perspective to another character like Tress would be a bit odd, mostly because the readers will get to know whomever the protagonist is much better than the others. We already know powerless MC best, so it’d be better to stick to them. (Not sure if what I just said made much sense…although I wouldn’t mind getting inside of stoic’s head :heart_eyes: ). Using third person would also work, although you of course would have to choose between omniscient or limited.

For the novel adaptation, do you have a set idea of what you’ll make the MC be? Like in terms of gender, personality, sexuality, RO (if any)?

I can totally see the non powered MC holding reader interest and developing into a well rounded character. I mean EVERYONE loves an underdog and would insert themselves into the MCs shoes since he would be the only non powered hero (in training), lots of turmoil and challenges for them to overcome makes for a great story. That’s just my opinion though lol

DO NOT READ IF YOU DON’T WANT SPOILERS!

I actually like the idea of the novelisation being from a different character’s point of view. That way they’re more companion novels than they are the exact same story told twice. You get into one of the NPC’s heads a little more, see things from their perspective which would be some nice bonus material.

I’d say, leave out the main character completely. Let the novelisation just be the story of what would happen if there wasn’t a non-powered student at the school. That way there’s something unique for the Choice of Game and something unique for the novel. Same basic story over-all though, and some interesting insight into the characters.

I’d also prefer that the protagonist of your novel is bi, and that you do have some same-sex relations, even if it’s just other characters pairing off.

I think both Stoic and Crook are bad choices. They have their secrets. Stoic especially never really pushes the narrative, she’s there as an enigma. She doesn’t act, she barely reacts and that’s her appeal, trying to get her to give a damn about any of it is a goal in itself. Crook’s older, married, with a kid, and if he’s telling the truth there that makes him closest you’ve got to your typical boring bland straight white male protagonist.

If you wanted to be cruel, tell it from Origami’s point of view. I think she’s got an interesting story there and we could at least get more insight into her. But that would mean you need a new protagonist for the next book and oh that end would hurt.

Tress is a better idea of those you’ve suggested. I’d say Dirty Girl or Mob would also work.

If you do want to just have a non-powered protagonist I’d say you do need to make them more defined.

4 Likes

Good points, I like your ideas. Origami would be a interesting choice indeed. :relaxed:

Sticking to the MC would be better than switching to any other character since most people can relate to the MC as the people were the ones who created their own character so yeah.

P.S. @HornHeadFan would it be possible for you to allow people to customise the kind of stats they want for themselves maybe for this game or future installments of the game since being able to customise the character stats rather then going with pre-set stats would be much cooler. But hey that’s just my opinion.

@Blackbeard The problem with that is that in a novelisation it’s very likely not going to be the MC you created unless Hornheadfan decides to pick every single choice that you picked. (and if that’s the case you might as well just play the interactive game anyway). I think it runs the risk that people will see the novel version as the true version, and that worries me, especially if it means that any same-sex relations are erased.

I think that I’d like a point of difference, I’d want a protagonist that differs from the one in the interactive game, in some way.

This conversation is really giving me some ideas.

I’m not actually writing the novelization for a while, although like I said, I do plan to make some notes and sketch out the major plot points that would easily transfer over while I await publishing this spring. I figure that I really have 80% of a traditional novel done. I would just have to tackle the tricky 20% involved in shifting it from interactive to traditional story. That 20% doesn’t really seem like a huge obstacle. The hard part would be figuring out which are the “most interesting” choices and relationships, and whether to make the MC bi-sexual, which would obviously allow me greater freedom in writing about the MC’s relationships.

Although I will say that I am very tempted to tame down any specifics about sex or drugs and present CCH as a “young adults” type book. I used to teach 4th and 5th grade and many of my kids were ready for something like this.

@FairyGodfeather makes good points about losing some of the variety and diversity of possible MCs and relationships, but obviously that’s just one of the limitations of traditional fiction. Heck, I chose to do this story as an interactive piece on purpose, and one of the reasons was that I wanted to fully immerse the reader and give the reader options that might appeal to their individual preferences. But I realize that interactive fiction, and especially CoG/HG is a verrrrry small niche in the overall market, and like I said, I’m only 20% from a regular novel, so why not go for it? I don’t see any reason not to…other than all the work involved… :tired_face:

My priority is doing the HG trilogy first, which is a sufficient enough undertaking for the time, but I’m a big believer in squeezing every last drop from universes that you create, and I have a ton of ideas about how to extend/transfer the storylines and characters into other formats.

1 Like

@Owlet, I agree with you about Stoic and Crook. I’ve been intentionally dragging things out with them, especially Stoic, even though many posters here have asked for those relationships to move faster. I want to go slooooow with them, especially Crook, who is a delicate flower. :sunflower:

@JTAL, thanks for confirming my word choice! I kept thinking, “linearizing” sounds right! And you and FG must be Brits, I guess, since I notice you both use “s” instead of “z.” You crazy Brits. And yes, I agree the whole underdog thing works well in most plots. I wanted to make the MC the underdoggiest of the underdogs. The least powerful student in the crappiest school. Not even on anyone’s radar.

@Fallaner, Yeah I’d consider snarky especially in a first-person POV novel because, let’s face it, you need some internal dialogue and what MC wouldn’t secretly think some funny/unflattering things about Shine, Wombat, Tolly, etc? I mean, even the school as a whole is ripe for being ridiculed, at least initially.

@hishman13, yeah the gender/sexuality/RO part of a novel is the biggest stumbling block for me, because no matter, what I choose, many people (at least on here) wouldn’t feel engaged to the MC anymore.

@Hozay, you wrote the 2,000st post! Yay! I couldn’t find any celebratory emotes, but here are Stoic and Wombat and Mega Cat :expressionless: :bear: :smirk_cat:

@FairyGodfeather, Yeah I was just playing with ways to make it different without changing a lot of the canon. Tress could tell a story without being overly snarky or overly dramatic, and she’s one of the more eloquent characters. I mentioned Crook because he’s the one I most relate to, and I think I find his voice more easier than I do the others. And telling it from Origami’s perspective, with her narration ending suddenly, would be fascinating to tackle! If only I was a 13-year-old girl…wait…I didn’t mean that. :girl:

@Blackbeard, are you talking about Part II of the interactive novel? I’ll continue to consider that, but I just finished editing the last “upgrade” scene in Part I, so as of that point, there are now 12 different combinations of weapons - Acrobat I, II, and II, Sharpshooter I, II, and III and so on. It’s a lot to tackle, let me tell you.

Wow. Spoilers for the non-beta players. Guess there’s no point in buying the game now… >.<

I am fine with either giving people the ability to create their own stats combo either in this game or other future installments hence my stating it, but again it is just my personal preference so if you find that it is something possible to do or something that you either won’t mind doing or want to do, it would be very cool. But hey, again it is just my personal preference.