Community College Hero: Releasing Soon

@OtherGrimm This is a WIP thread and I thought it was a given that if I was discussing a possible novelisation that I might be referring to topics in the game. I never actually played the game when it was linked here so I’ve no idea what counts as spoilers and what doesn’t, what’s been discussed openly, and what hasn’t. I’m sorry that I spoiled the game for you.

While I’d a lot more I wanted to say on the subject of the novelisation, I’ll bow out of this discussion because I don’t want to ruin things for anyone else.

Nah, I’m no Brit, but I’m married to one. Went Viking over there, stole the crown jewel, married him and brought him back home. :blush:

1 Like

It seems a shame to rehash the plot to CCH again. What about a story five years or so in advance? I mean OK it could be blown up or something equally plot dramatic, I haven’t played the Beta or anything, maybe an AU?

@Zanite, when I talked about extending or transferring the storyline, I actually was considering things like a sequel, or perhaps an “alternative timeline” of events or things like that. Comic-style stories always give writers ways to keep the story going and there will be a lot of heroes and villains alike still standing at the end of the HG story.

And to the folks I was discussing the novelization/point-of-view stuff with, I have another idea that might actually work well. It’s loosely based on one of my favorite graphic novels, Superman for all Seasons, which features four different POVs; Mr. Kent, Lois Lane, Lana Lang and Lex Luther (lots of L’s there!). I find the different POV-device fascinating because the writer was able to move the narrative forward while shifting POVs three times during the story.

If I were to novelize the existing CCH story, I could totally see writing a shifting 1-person POV between some of the major characters. I could break the story down into six chunks, each with a different narrator. That could keep it fresh, and it could also provide a variety of viewpoints across gender lines (and probably sexual orientation lines as well).

1. Stunner introducing us to Speck and explaining lots of the background/world issues since he’s very knowledgeable about all of it.

2. Then he could tag in to Tress, who would talk about the early days of the school year and a lot of the relationships that start to form and how she wants to eventually take a leadership role.

3. Dirty Girl could talk about the various adventures the kids go on, and could explain why she’s so intimidated by the students and the overall situation and why she tries to act like a badass all the time.

4. Mob then starts to analyze the Contrarian situation and talks to the reader about his suspects as well as trying to figure out what he’s willing to do to stop her, considering he’s adopted a pacifist attitude.

5. That segways into Origami talking about the farm environment and the growing friendships, and how she secretly wishes they could all stay there longer.

6. Then Crook is the last who talks about everything post climax and what he plans to do when everyone returns in the spring.

Thoughts?

9 Likes

I like the idea of having multiple POVs. Six different takes on the story, and six different opinions about MC (presuming s/he will still be in the story). That was one of the things I enjoyed most about the Haruhi Suzumiya novels. Showing the story through Kyon’s point of view rather than Haruhi’s gives a fresh take on the events going on around him.

I quite like this idea as well, and It could be interesting to see the MC from non-MC viewpoints.

@Xero Yaaaaay for more Haruhi Readers! (I need to get to reading books 9 and 10, I’ve been too busy playing games to sit down and read them XD, But i love the Haruhi Series so much.)

It might be difficult, but it sounds like a really interesting idea, if executed well :smiley: . The best part is that it gives insight into multiple characters and not just one, which would make character development kind of lopsided, at least until you had other books with different POV’s out, if that was the case.

That actually sounds like a great idea and gives a different flavor to each issue or chapter! I’m totally really excited about this lol. It kind of reminds me of those Watchmen prequels that were released last year I think? Each major Watchmen character got their own 6 issue mini series with a different artist working on each one who’s style complimented that specific character.

CCV, community college villain! :smiley: or was this idea already spoken of?

Yes I mention a potential CCV story a few times in CCH Part I.

The alternating viewpoint novel sounds great! DG sounds the most interesting to me because even with the romance you don’t really get to see inside her head.

Hadn’t had a chance for a more thorough play-though but I found a weird error when I got the upgrade to detective level three. This is the thread for feedback right?

No, reply to the private wave 3 thread

Well this thread might be quiet for a while. I’m doing my best to submit CCH to CoG by next weekend. :balloon: :tada: :balloon: :fireworks: :balloon:

Part of me wants to keep this thread open and use it as the feedback thread when CCH is published. I guess the only downside is that the thread is classified as WiP. I would hate to close this thread though, because there is so much great content. I go back and read the first few months’ of posts sometimes and I’m amazed at how many changes I made from my original ideas.

Anyway, I really appreciated the… looks at first post … 209 folks who have posted since last February. This thread was vital to me getting the project done. I honestly think it may have died on the vine :grapes: without this thread, and the helpful folks on the CoG forums in general. The learning curve for coding was a steep one for me.

I’m not sure whether or not I’ll start a new WiP thread for CHH Part II this spring. I feel much more confident in my ability to write/code Part II without as much hand-holding, but at the same time, feedback might help me make improvements.

Again, I just want to thank everyone for all the help. :heart_eyes:

14 Likes

Congratulations!A champion is you! :fireworks: :tada: :confetti_ball:

wow it feels like a long time ago when this thread got started and you only had up to the first exam or something.

You got no one to blame except yourself, making such an appealing game, forcing people to post their enjoyment. It is all on you. So there. :wink: :grin:

It is always such a great thing if you play a early version of a game and then…it gets actually finished and published. And this is just me as a player, I have no idea how great it must feel to be the creator and get this done. Congratulations indeed. Can’t wait to throw money at the screen when the game goes “live”.

@askuse, those emoticons are cool aren’t they? So festive and celebratory!

@eqs189, Trust me, it feels like a long time ago for me too.

@JTAL, That’s very nice of you! The second emoticon seems to be in pain though.

@Suzukigun, Thanks as well. I will be a happy guy when I finally get to see the app on my phone. I can see myself looking at the shiny little icon every day for quite a few days in a row…perhaps obsessively.

3 Likes

Pain? No, just, er, making sure you know it is aaaaaall your fault, yep. :flushed: It’s an honest face, it would not lie and suggest people have a choice to not play this game. See? :grimacing: :sweat_smile:

( In other words, yeah, kick yourself for making a great game, or, uh, something… :no_mouth: )

(( Pay no heed to my ramblings, except for any praise. Thanks! :relaxed: ))