Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

Sure! If you could also add the link to my art account in the description that would be great (http://xglider.deviantart.com/) if not then crediting with my current name here is ok too

5 Likes

@karlsia Outstanding art work man I do hope to see more of your work and keep up the great work. :grin:

Dude wtf that is amazing, like litterally the best two pieces of fan art iv ever seen. You should win a medal or something

2 Likes

Yeah I was about say that lets hope that Eric will have a new art contest in the future if he dose I will definitely vote for you @karlsia.

2 Likes

:0 IDIDNTKNOW THAT WAS A THINGOMG

Noted!!

Damn, you are good. I mean…damn!

5 Likes

If you had shown up a month back and drew the Specktacular Seven together there iis no doubt in my mind you would’ve won the art contest

4 Likes

Making a ton of progress today. Decided to make altruism/retribution and self/loyalty opposed pairs; it works much better mechanically. Also streamlined the stats page. All four “main” ROs from the Part 1 now have (I hope equally good) lunch scenes inserted into Part 1. Already bug tested all of the new content - 100% clean. Finishing up Rycliffe interrogation/interview today and hope to move onto party scene later this weekend. Still shooting for a new update on 5/7. There should be lots of new material.

28 Likes

That would make things easier, I guess?
Perhaps you should also do it with the personas to reduce the quantity of work?

It doesn’t work as well with the personalities. They aren’t really “opposites;” they’re just all different.

But in final testing, I might decide to decrease the other 3 personas every time 1 is increased, because although I’m guessing most players roleplay their MC with a consistent persona or two, it would look silly to have someone “max out” all the personas by the end of Part 2.

8 Likes

Would it even be possible to max out personas? Maybe a better solution would be to have them increase at smaller intervals? I know I mostly traditional but I also sometimes might pick another option just for variety or because that specific dialogue option looks in character for my MC, I’d rather not have that lower my main stat if there’s another solution that would prevent what you’re worried about

7 Likes

I can see the logic in this. I think you should decrease only one or two personas however, depending on the context. For example, being charming and flirting with someone would not decrease jokester, but decrease traditionnalist (by not being serious) and brooder (flirting with someone isn’t the most broody thing to do).

Also, another thing; I know you said you would not add anything that would increase the necessary time, but what about a Captain California relationship? I mean, you see the dude every day, he teaches you things and personally trains you (I saw it in a message somewhere) but he’s not becoming friendlier with you? It could also be a “recommandation” value that could add points to the Savior stat.

@HomingPidgeon I don’t think it’s possible; the game use a percentage system which means it gets gradually harder to boost the stat.

Well, I generally only use 10% increases on the personas, so really after you hit 91%, it’s mathematically impossible to go higher.

Yeah I am probably worrying about it for no reason, as most folks will roleplay pretty consistently. I really mainly want the personas to add immersion for players and also to allow me to include an occasional flavor text check.

And maybe I could start increasing them by 20%, and then lowering the other three by 10% each. That would allow a character to gradually increase 2 personas. I could see roleplaying as a joking brooder (sort of like dark humor), or a charming traditionalist (sort of like superman), but when you high %s in each of the four, nothing really stands out. You lose your uniqueness.

EDIT TO ADD: The problem is, that personas existed in Part 1. So if I mess with them in part 2, it screws it all up. And they aren’t important enough to justify going back and redoing them. So maybe I’ll just leave them as is.

And @Harroc, I see what you mean by increasing one and maybe just decreasing two, but for that to make sense, I’d have to go back and really carefully word each and every persona choice to make it more clear what goes up and down, and frankly that would be a ton of work for very little gain. (plus again, they existed in Part 1)

4 Likes

Honestly I don’t think so? As someone who is terrible bad at this kind of choices I can tell you that you will not get the personalities very high while not playing consistently.

I use fairmath for personas, motivations, ouch, yay, relationships, and maybe another stat or two. Anything with a colored bar on the stats page uses fairmath, which is most of them. Primary stats like Pow, Zap, etc, continue to just use numbers.

You can read more about it by doing a search, but basically the % increases are only marginal, meaning that if someone has a persona at 71%, and it increases by 10%, it only increases by 10% of the difference between 71 and 100, or 29. So 29 times 10% = 2.9, and I think it always rounds down (not sure?). So at 71%, a 10% fairmath increase only pushes the stat up to 73%.

So basically with fairmath, there can be a LOT of quick movement between 30% and 70%, but anything under 30% or over 70% tends to edge up or down very slowly.

4 Likes

By the way, How will motivations affect the gameplay?

I can already see that personas affect the way you relate to other characters.

2 Likes

…with bad at this kind of choices I actually meant that I’m very bad at playing my MC with a consistent persona so I’m talking mostly from expirience and not the coding/theory that’s behind it, which was “getting this stats anywhere near high is terriblle difficult”?
:sweat_smile:…no idea why? I tried to stay more “in role” but it felt too unnatural for me and took out some of the fun so I just said “Screw game mechanics, I play this character like I want”. I just headcanon that my MC is just really bad at the whole hero stuff and probably should have seeked out a different profession.
But if I understand that right after a certain threshold (30%) it should be easier to get those stats high? Then it makes sense to cap the stats by having them decrease too.

2 Likes

In the middle of writing a sex(y) scene. Will surface in a few.

6 Likes

You can’t just say that and not give us some more details.

4 Likes

So with fairmath, anything above 50 increases more slowly and decreases more quickly. Anything below 50 is the opposite–it is harder to decrease it, and easier to increase it.

For instance, if we are decreasing by %-20, you would have something like this, showing the stat before and after the change:

75 --> 60
50 --> 40
25 --> 20

And increasing is the reverse. For %+20:

75 --> 80
50 --> 60
25 --> 40

(Or something like that. I’m on mobile and doing sums and code in my head, so, grains of salt.)

If I understand correctly, it’s to keep stats balanced and keep players from maxing (or minning, I suppose?) them out too quickly.

3 Likes