Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

Crazy idea guys!
What if the nullifying power also acted like an enhancer for the MC.
Ok lets say were fighting someone with super strength. (Headonist), an the MC manages to null that power, so during the duration of there power being nerfed the MC could gain a little extra power themself.(lets say POW went up 2 points) But in order for it to not be OP, it could be that it only last for 1 or 2 choses during the fight.
An depending on what power you nerf, you can get a different boost.
Super speed(Capt. Cali.)= WHOSH
Invulnerability(Stoic)= THUD
Telekanisis(Hag)= HMM
Etc.
And hopefully it wouldn’t be to hard to code for @jimD. If im not mistaken he could use the *if command.
So during a fight scene if we were to pick a choice that required Whatever, the code could be
*if nulled _______ +2 _____
And it would depend on what choices we make, so he wouldn’t have to put the code to add POW when the skill check is for SHH

Back to the Headonist fight, once you null him you could decide to go for a punch in the face (or more symbolically, the nuts) but in order for it to work you need 9 pow, and you only have 7, but with the +2 boost you would get from succesfully nulling him you would be able to do it. Same thing could go for many different options, like instead of nulling his strength you null his invunerability, which would give you +2 THUD that you could use to block his punches or lower the amount of POW needed to succesfully punch from 9 down to 7
This would add a whole new way of thinking about how to aproach during a fight.

2 Likes

So many interesting ideas! Thanks @Wolf00010! And I’ve decided how to move forward on the paths now and I hope to get a LOT done over the spring. Full speed ahead.

And it will be a LOT easier if @JimD just writes the rest for me! ::slight_smile: I know you just got us mixed up, @Wolf00010

Oh and I already received a (in my opinion, very strong) submission for the art contest! It’s very exciting!

7 Likes

My Bad @Eric_Moser, i was posting on the Zombie Exodus thread and got names mixed up :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I flex on you haters hy haters this is my world and it’s all in my favor

No longer about powers, but some speculation.

I know other people are somewhat mistrustful of Savior (which … fair) but I’m really excited about potentially meeting the Smarts. Eric said on Twitter they (or at least Streetsmart) might be appearing in Book 2 (https://twitter.com/CCH_EricMoser/status/800044570977439745) and if their names are accurate (and this is a weirdly specific thing to have an opinion about so bear with me) I’m kind of hoping that in terms of “high art”, music and painting and sculpture and the like, Streetsmart is the one with more opinions about it all. If Booksmart’s intelligence is based on logic, then it stands to reason that something more based on emotional communication and response would resonate more with a character who’s intelligence is based on intuition and human interaction.

Don’t know what made that occur to me, but whatever.

5 Likes

Streetsmart might represent the “street” version of everything from “art” to “smarts” -Sort of how artists evolved from the underground and subways and graduated from painting “tags” to promoting tags as brands…

I would really love to see a character in the middle of Oklahoma bring the “footloose” tropes of culture clash into focus here at Speck.

1 Like

Ooh, I’d love for us to get to meet the Smarts. :grin:

I think art could definitely fit in acedemics - hell, half of my art class this year is apparently going to art history and analysis - but an ‘artsmart’ streetsmart character is an interpretation I don’t think I’ve seen before, so now I think I want to see that too. :thinking:

I really hope we get to meet them together, too, because I’m so cuious about how their dynamic is going to turn out! I’m guessing at Savior that Streetsmart will have more of an influence in practical subjects while Booksmart will have more of an influence on acedemics, but what about their interactions with each other? How they fight enemies? Aah, so much to speculate!

2 Likes

The first thing I’m doing when I meet the Smarts is asking them why,of all their staff,they sent Mr Pervo.

They’re gonna need one hell of an explanation.

6 Likes

BookSmart: “Well you see, Headonist is a high ranking Zenith, and one of our best instructers. We wanted to make sure that the students at speck had someone with experience and knew about being a hero to guide them.”

StreetSmart: “HA!! Mr. Pervo, good one!”

5 Likes

StreetSmart: You seriously think we want to hang around with that guy!?

9 Likes

Ohh, I really hope we get to meet Streetsmart. I normally pick him as my favorite during our talk with Jason and Origami so my MC will probably have a bit of a fanboy moment.

All in favor of Streetsmart replacing either the Hedonist or Captain California as a teacher at Speck raise your hand!

5 Likes

The Savior’s sibling got nothing compared to Mega Cat! I want to enroll in Prestige, not in the college for those tech hipster :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Pffft, who wants to go to a place that considered the best in the nation when you could go to the place that looked at the Hedonist and said “yes, I trust this man around our students.”

11 Likes

Right now, my guess for Hedonist is that when they were first setting up their school he approached them, and being a well known (I’m trying to remember when he became famous?) hero (who, despite being a human sack of garbage, has been proven as viable in the field) and after they’ve become established, since Hedonist’s tendencies towards students aren’t common knowledge (Tolly when she brings it up to him is frustrated but also surprised, if I’m remembering right) it’d be difficult for them to let him go without having a big PR disaster, since he’s possibly more famous and liked than they are, and since it’d be such a huge risk to the school it’d be safer to just loan him to Speck. They’re a big, decently established school, yes, but they are still very much competing with Mega Cat and Prestige and a bad hit might just take them out of the fight. I think somebody earlier suggested that they sent him over so that they didn’t have to deal with him? I think that’s the most likely thing.

Part of the thing with the Smarts is that we’ve seen people representing them (to some extent) but nothing of the Smarts themselves, beyond the news quotes near the start of Book 1. So people can really just infer whatever conclusions they want to make and while they might not have any evidence to support it, neither will anyone arguing with them. The Smarts are pretty much completely up in the air right now–despite the fact that we have seen action taken, we know nothing of their reasoning and motivations.

Personally, I like the Smarts a hell of a lot more than Mega Cat (who my very helpful phone really thinks is called “Megan”). I think there’s benevolent, if perhaps misguided, explanations for everything they’ve done. It’s been a while since I played through, but even when they did things I didn’t like I found solid enough defenses on their end that it felt forgivable.

Mega Cat, on the other hand, seems a lot more insidious and controlling than the Smarts, who are at the very least up front and honest with Speck. Nil was a plant, who’s whole purpose was apparently just getting information from the students. Along with Booksmart’s remarks (“this is not a fiefdom, [Mega Cat] is not a lord”) I get the impression that he’s just sort of anti-anyone-else-teaching-heroes. I’ll grant that the Smarts don’t exactly sound eager to work with him, but that animosity had to come from somewhere, and it feels to me like Mega Cat deserves the scorn.

7 Likes

Honestly, I bet StreetSmart’s real super-power is being incredibly insufferable :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

takes notes on all the Smart speculation

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

7 Likes

PRIMARY PREDICTION:

My MC and Booksmart will fall in love and be very happy. There’s so much in text evidence. Has to be true

6 Likes

Okay, I hate to say it but there will be no more progress for the next 10 days or so. We just got a confirmed closing date of 3/1 for our new casa de Moser so that will dominate my life for the next week and a half.

I’ll keep watching and taking cryptic notes. -shifty eyed-

Oh and I received another awesome entry for the art contest today. This is giving me something to look forward to each day as I open email!

13 Likes

Okay since we just have pure speculation right now…

Hedonist dated one (or both) of the Smarts and they had a bad break up and that’s why they sent him all the way to Speck, Nebraska and why he was completely okay with leaving, but is still pretty loyal to the Smarts.

1 Like

By the gods, I don’t come to this thread for a little while (unintentionally), only to open it up on my phone and immediately encounter a rather fucking hilarious little fan comic about drinking. :joy:

Bloody hell, now I remember why I created an account on here in the first place. :smiley:

Wait a minute, the demo’s been updated? And more than once, during my absence?

Night Watcher, c’mon! We have some new content to explore!

Also, I didn’t save last time I played, so you’re going to have to get your ass kicked yet again by Wyvern…takes off in fear.

4 Likes