Community College Hero: Knowledge is Power (old WIP thread, now closed)

Oh @Dax12, I totally respect that! I know everyone’s budget and tastes are different.

So as of 3:20PM, the art folks are up to 38%. So on the surface, an IAP seems to be the perfect fix. But…but the math is troublesome.

Assuming a $.99 IAP for the art, we get .99 X .175 = 17.3 cents to me per IAP. So 1,000 IAP downloads would = $173.25. 3,000 IAP downloads would equal $519. 5,000 IAP downloads (probably too optimistic) would equal $865

So you see the issue. It would be near impossible to reach the break-even point since I’d be fronting 100% of the additional cost for the IAP, but only getting 17% of the revenue from the IAP. Only CoG and the app platforms would actually profit from it.

I guess the Heroes Rise IAP economically worked because it just required the author to do some additional coding as opposed to buying services from a third-party provider. I’m not sure if there is a solution here. I’d love to commission the project, but not if I’ll likely lose money on it. Any suggestions?

EDITED TO ADD: I could perhaps commission a big PDF file featuring all the characters and just sell it outside of the game but that seems clumsy because it would be a lot of little tiny transactions that aren’t really appropriate for PayPal and plus people would have to email me to get order it. Hmmm.

1 Like

What about the Paetron thing that Cataphrak does?

I don’t know much about Patreon but if it would be suitable for a relatively large volume of small transactions, that’s what I need.

Maybe I will check that out tonight. It’s an interesting suggestion. Thanks so much, @Eiwynn.

1 Like

Patreon is for long term funding of artists and creators, many artists I follow use it for their living wage. I don’t think it would work well for something like this, but I’ll grant I don’t use it myself. Maybe gumroad, I think people sell digital art through that? Or charge more for the IAP?

1 Like

If we wrap nullify powers in weapons it’s kinda like Ella from Lorien Legacies or Gambit… PLEASSE DO THAT ONE.

1 Like

That’s actually a really good idea. Each archetype could practice wrapping the nullifyer energy around their main weapon (brass knuckles, staff, dart gun etc.). It would definitely be an interesting way of doing it since it wouldn’t be to OP or something that would need to be nerfed.

2 Likes

For weaponizing the nullify in a projectile to not be imba. I think it would need to be cumulative. As such, you’d have to survive long enough for it to be effective. If you added the effect to a melee weapon. You’d have to get close to global threat level villans. Most of which could annihilate you well before you can get in range. So that seems unlikely. Since the Wyvern hands your ass to you, and they’re not on the power level of the DD. Iteresting idea though, I wonder how it could be implemented.

and at the point where you’re shooting power nullifying rubber balls at people who can set your lungs on fire with a thought i’d rather be shooting actual bullets.

“the only good way to kill a psionic is with a lead injection, at high velocity preferably from very far away”-some cyberpunk rpg.

3 Likes

Bit cliché don’t you think? vilifying your mother in a story

Could work since your AOE Skill will be active as u charge in

1 Like

@Eric_Moser, cant you just use the artwork from issue one for the character info. It has thumbnails of the speck 7, so thats less artwork to purchase, since you already own it. All you would have to do is crop it for each image.

I mean a cast page of just the Speck 7 wouldn’t do all that much good–I assume it’s more for the benefit of the amount of side characters, all the other students, antagonists, teachers, townsfolk, etc.

I know, what i meant was that if he used it, he wouldnt need to purchase art for the speck 7, only for the other characters, therefore he would spend less on artwork.

I’m not sure of the details of the contract with the artist who made those images, but it might not be legal for Eric to make alterations.

Even if it is, I know he’s changed artists between books and he probably wants to keep the art style consistent for something like a cast page. I know I’d be much more willing to spend extra money on original art, even something simple like headshots or busts

2 Likes

Yes I’d like consistency in all art for Part 2.

I did chop up the character squares from the Issue 1 interior cover and line them across the top of the CCH web site. :slight_smile:

And with 107 votes cast, 46% of folks want more art AND would pay for it. Not a majority, but close! I know this is a tiny segment of the audience, but that still confirms for me that there would be a decent amount of interest in it.

6 Likes

I still think that the stuff with the art thing should just be put up as in-app purchase like what one of the commenter said earlier as it is both more beneficial to Eric and the people buying the game cause people can have a clear who want and who don’t want rather than everyone being forced to buy or not buy.

1 Like

@Eric_Moser I have spotted the almighty cake next to your name.

Happy forum birthday.

3 Likes

Ooh, yeah, happy forum birthday, Eric!

2 Likes

@AAO, @lutece, thanks for the well wishes! I can’t believe it’s been three years! I looked at my forum stats and I think it said it would take 19 days to read all of my posts. So breaking that down over 3 years, I’ve spent…6 out of 365 days per year, or 1.5% of my life writing forum posts??? That can’t be right, can it??

Geez. Maybe I need a new hobby.

7 Likes

Naahh, if you get a new hobbie what will happen with the rest of us? :cry:
Anyways, congrats on 3 awsome years @Eric_Moser

3 Likes