COMING THURSDAY: "Gilded Rails," NEW AUTHOR INTERVIEW, TRAILER, and DEMO

Math is just the study of relationships. :wink:

3 Likes

@idonotlikeusernames @P_Tigras

Best to take your discussion over PM.=)

Anyway, looking forward to the full game.

3 Likes

Please keep on topic. Move the conversation to the college/university thread?

4 Likes

That is an interesting and great start. Looking forward for tomorrow when this is released. I really love the settings and oh dear, 11 love interests? :heartbeat::heartpulse::heartpulse:

Out on Play Store!

9 Likes

Itā€™s 7 A.M. where I live, I stayed up all night working and was about to sleep then I see this.

Sigh well, sleep is for the weak!

2 Likes

Sorry buddy! Hahahahahahha

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! my halloween shall be filled with train tracks and loooooooove

1 Like

May I ask who did the interior art for the game? Itā€™s just gorgeous!

My gut says Marcelo Gallegos, the artist for Demon Mark and Avatar of the Wolf, but Iā€™d like to be certain.

8 Likes

It is Marcelo. The artist is always listed in the credits of the game.

3 Likes

I get the whole ā€œhistorical accuracyā€ argument, hear it quite often, but this game is already modifying things for women and lgbt players so they donā€™t have to wade through tons of prejudice. Why is it forced on black players? Iā€™m not black myself but I would be curious as to how black players feel about running into this language? I know I would be jarred and pulled out of the story if old words for lgbt people were thrown in for flavor.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not the author, and Iā€™m not the lead editor of the game, Iā€™m not the sensitivity reader who reviewed the game before publication, and Iā€™m not a black player, so I donā€™t know. However I stand by the statement that ā€œnegroā€ is not a derogatory term, either during the time period the game was set, or to a large extent in the present day United States. It is a dated term, but that is not by definition derogatory.

3 Likes

I meanā€¦growing up in a school district with like 80% black kids, Iā€™d get my ass kicked if I ever said negro. The only time I would consider it not racist in casual conversation is if you said, ā€œDo you want to go to the Negro League Museum?ā€

In other words, ā€œnegroā€ is really not an acceptable synonym for ā€œblackā€ or ā€œAfrican Americanā€ in modern society.

4 Likes

The game is set during a period where negro was the polite and politically correct term for African-Americans. (A period which persisted until the 1960s, when ā€œblack,ā€ became widely accepted.) It is not a word most people find shocking. It would beā€¦odd for you to bandy it on the playground as an insult and I suggest could only be perceived as an insult because it is a dated term. Iā€™m not sure what else I can say about this; as you point out you havenā€™t said something ā€œbadā€ or insulting when you speak of the Negro League or the United Negro College Fund.

6 Likes

Those are titles of organizations which is a very different thing than using the term in conversation or calling someone that.

Iā€™m curious, were there black play testers for this?

2 Likes

I understand where @Mary_Duffy is coming from but when I was watching some movies from the same era or books from that era, the use of negro is a common term, not a degatory term equivalent today. The African Americans even refer to it themselves during that time, Iā€™ll try to look for reference.

I do understand it was quite a sensitive term to use since we are all modern readers.

Yes. Please google ā€œsensitivity readerā€ if you donā€™t know what that is.

ā€¦I donā€™t think you need to look up any references. Maybe this is an age thing? Are people under 40 not aware that before ā€œblack,ā€ or ā€œAfrican-American,ā€ were widely used terms the term ā€œnegroā€ was the politically correct term used in America by all members of polite society?

4 Likes

Fair enough. If black players are fine with it, Iā€™m fine with it.

Itā€™s not as simple as that, I donā€™t think. Iā€™m perfectly willing to be wrong or to be told Iā€™m wrong about this. But Iā€™d certainly prefer a person of color was making arguments about why this game (which isnā€™t even out yetā€¦) doesnā€™t work, as opposed to white Americans and non-native English speakers weā€™ve heard from so far.

1 Like