Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

I believe that’s only +5%, though.

1 Like

Anyone aware of how to get Creation > 3 before organising the reception at Memphis??

As you begin to prepare for the reception, the thought occurs to you that you might have oversold yourself.
*choice
*selectable_if ((discretion > 30) or (creation > 1)) #No, no…I am more than capable of throwing this party.
*set discretion %+5
*if (creation > 1) and (wealth >= 10000)
*set party_preparations 2
*if (creation = 3) and (wealth >= 15000)
*set party_preparations 3
if (creation > 3) and (wealth >= 20000)
** set party_preparations 4

*set wealth -(creation * 5000)
*set party_preparations_1873 “success”
*goto prepare_alone

1 Like

You can’t anymore. The only way to get party preparations 4 now is having Creation 3 and then working on the reception during the letter writing segment (the option shows up after a certain number of turns).

1 Like

When does this option appear? I can’t seem to find a letter writing segment?

Before the second reception.

1 Like

@michellexylee To get the Governor’s Favour there’s also things like investing in gas lighting in the first game, stopping the Quaker’s plot and sending Wilson back to Withers. Other actions, like getting higher charm from the latter, in exchange for Wilson Maddox will reduce one’s favour with Overstreet, slightly. So it’s a balance really: How much does one want to cozy up to the Governor’s family? Ashmore, Withers and the like, versus going one’s own way.

Also a good point. And every little helps.
@justme Is right about the letter writing segment. To avoid accidentally skipping it, it’s important to at least have some interaction with Vampiric affairs, otherwise a very, very independent vampire will automatically skip the stage. An illiterate vampire, can still take part via the dictation of letters to the valet. It’s very hard to do this though, unless one goes out of one’s way, but worth knowing.

And then for that extra creative point, the option won’t appear immediately, within the letting writing section. One has to exchange a few letters first, or allow some time to pass before it appears.

Hope that helps and happy playing!

2 Likes

@jasonstevanhill

I noticed something a little weird.

During the kkk train scene, when the Klansmen tried to accost the 3 men, there is an option to join the Klansmen by subduing Koonce and taking his place → follow the Klansmen aboard the train → persuade the 3 men to surrender the bonds and persuade the Klansme to let the 3 men live

So that means no one was lynched, yeah?

However, the next page says there were two lynched men?? Is this a mistake or did I overlook something?

*label bonds_recovered_aftermath
Because two of the lynched men were from Fayette County, the Republican Sheriff there tries to open an investigation into the matter. Unfortunately for him, the Sheriff of Shelby County is completely unwilling to cooperate in the investigation, and when the Sheriff of Fayette is replaced by a Democrat in the next election, any further inquiry into the matter is dropped.

Also, when flirting with Chiara during the first caucus, there is an option to flirt with her. The first time you flirt, she gives you her address, then when you continue to flirt with her, again she gives her address.

So she gives her address twice?

I try and flirt with her.
*if santagostino_rapport > 50
*set flirting_with_chiara true
*set santagostino_contactable true
She greets your innuendos with some witty repartee of her own; it seems that your amorous advances are not entirely unwanted. So much so that she presses a note into your hand containing an address in New Orleans, by means of which you may correspond with her.

*if flirting_with_chiara
#I continue flirting with her.
*set santagostino_contactable true
*set santagostino_rapport %+20
Chiara pretends to resist your amorous advances, but when she slips you an address at which you can write to her, you know that your advances are not entirely unwanted.

There are a few other oddities, but I can’t remember all of them…I’ll let you know after I replay the book.

Also, when debating on whether to host the fair at the Eurydice or the Southern Hotel, I’ll like to have the option to keep my mouth shut (so as to avoid offending anyone).

*choice
#I advocate for relocating—for the duration of the Fair, anyway.
*set independence %+10
*set bailey_rapport %+10
*set aichinger_rapport %-10
*set for true
#I advocate relocating permanently—I’m tired of spending my time underground.
*set discretion %+5
*set bailey_rapport %+10
*set aichinger_rapport %-10
*set for true
#I advocate for staying at the Eurydice—we should not pretend to be other than we are.
*set independence %-10
*set bailey_rapport %-10
*set aichinger_rapport %+10
#I advocate for staying at the Eurydice—this is a very safe place for vampires to gather.
*set discretion %-10
*set bailey_rapport %-10
*set aichinger_rapport %+10

3 Likes

Is it possible to get Charm > 4?

1 Like

No.

2 Likes

The closest we get to Charm 5, with the powers to remove and alter memories, are the words of oblivion powers Jesse tells us about at that card game. It’s possible to get it from Withers in exchange for Wilson. Although, if I’m being honest it’s not really worth going out of the way for, in terms of impact on the game.
Charm 5 will probably become available at the start of the Chicago installment, post St Louis.

Also great idea. It’s one of those options that’s inserted before the Tribune selection to make it that bit harder to get the support needed to get the job. I understand the principle of no risk; no gain. That said, St Louis does limit our ability to be an independent vampire, less involved in vampiric affairs, in contrast to the previous games.

2 Likes

Hmm… I would argue the other ability (paralyze) you can learn from Withers is “closer” to Charm. One reason would be the requirements are a bit higher, Charm = 3 (for paralyze) vs Charm >= 2 (for words of oblivion). A second reason would be that the paralyzing gaze works on both humans (stated) and vampires. And you’ve alluded to a third reason:

:+1:

Although there are more opportunities to use the words, the ability paralyze is/could be more impactful to the game.

Also possible to learn it at the end of Memphis (checkpoint), if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this question has been asked, is there any way you defeat West if you’re not skilled in combat (i.e. low fighting, agility, strength)?

Also how do you summon Padre Carlos to help? And how do you find out about the silver bullets?

No, if you can’t get Combat (which is strength + agility + (fighting * 1.5) + 2 (if shapeshifting = 3) +2 (if you have a weapon)) over 8, you die.

Silver can be found by researching werewolves, while Carlos can be summoned if he is your sire, or by another way that I can’t remember off the top of my head.

2 Likes

You have to talk to West’s broodmate and bring up the subject of Padre Carlos with her. I believe you have to do it 2 times and the second one you say something like “I wouldn’t bring it up if I thought the Quaestor could handle this…” or something like that.

1 Like

When does this opportunity arise? I can only find one which says:

I wish to try and learn more about werewolves.
*set beast_of_gevaudan true

But this doesn’t teach you about silver bullets.

Do you know in which scene I can do this?

Yeah you’re quite right. It brings us up to charm 4. I was meaning more of the ability to alter memories. The words, are closer in the respect that they can remove some memories. Whilst charm 5 allows one to completely rewrite them. But yeah you’re right, getting charm 4 from Withers or at the end of Memphis, brings us closer to getting charm 5 in time for Chicago.

It’s a two parter. One can have the option to research werewolves. As you point out. Further down the line it’s possible that another option to research werewolves will come up and revile the silver option. This can happen before the tribune selection gathering, after, if one is selected as tribune, there’s an option to research further and discover this. There’s a few other random spots too. There’s also a few random events. For example if one is blackmailing the Spencer Sisters, the spirit mediums, then they can come up to one in St Louis and mention the silver. Encountering Rios at the Fair also gives an option to ask about werewolf weaknesses, and she mentions silver. If you’re friendly enough with her at any rate.

Once that knowledge is there, the character goes off and has some silver bullets made.

This is quite interesting since I haven’t heard about this route before. But maybe during the tribune selection scene before the Fair. I’ll see what I can dig up.

@michellexylee I’m not sure if you know about it already, but you might like looking at the game code. It can be hard to read, sometimes, but it’s quite interesting to see how all the stats work, underneath the dialogue options. To access the individual scenes, just remove the word ‘startup’ from the search bar and replace it with the different scene options underneath.

https://www.choiceofgames.com/vampire3/scenes/startup.txt

I tried restarting the game an selecting Carlos as sire. I still can’t summon him (or rather, don’t know how to summon him).

How do you acquire a weapon?

Yes, I did look at the game code, in fact. However, it is, like you say, a little hard to figure out stuff…

1 Like

Have 3 intelligence and focus on researching werewolves

same as above and have at least 1 fighting

1 Like

My apologies, I mixed 2 characters and the conversations we can have with them. The first character is Apollo’s broodmate. Her name is Eleonor (I think), the Quaestor involved in the election back in Memphis. This might be one of the earliest opportunities where someone can suggest calling the Praetor (Carlos).

The second character is the Governor. Gudsdottir or something close to that. With her we can have the “I wouldn’t bring it up if I thought the Quaestor could handle this…” conversation.

:bowing_man: :bowing_woman:

2 Likes