Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

yeah, but you’re not going to get a random bump up to 3. The random bumps go to places that your character is weak; they never go to a place that you’re strong.

To get a 3 willpower during chargen, you have to burn your maker to ashes in the croft; that gives you 2. Then there are a several backgrounds (FPOC, French, Irish, German, Lawyer, Yankee, Slave) that will put you up to a 3.

2 Likes

Drat! Ignored again.

I’m not ignoring you, I just don’t understand your question. As Ramidel asked, why don’t you try to break your post up into paragraphs so we can better understand you.

2 Likes

Finally.

I’ve pushed a new version. STL is now > 190k (though the climaxes aren’t accessible yet).

I also addressed Bikkje’s latest bug reports, and also add some more history.

2 Likes

@jasonstevanhill I was wondering if you could give a brief overview of what the different stats are like at 4? Would be helpful for seeing where level 4 X could be used. I know for instance you can have 4 in creation and intelligence, but I’m not sure what that means in this game.

1 Like

Dude, you ask tough questions.

I don’t have a good answer for Creation 4 or Intelligence 4, in fact. But Creation 4 would be…nigh mind-blowing.

For the Traits (strength, intelligence, etc) 1 is considered middling human, 2 trained, and 3 exceptional. 4 is where the vampire powers start: Charm 4 is the ability to persuade, 5 is mind control, etc. Strength 4 is where you start to do superhuman feats of strength, throwing shit, basically.

The skills, however, are a different scale: 1 is Trained, and 2 is already superhuman. So, Stealth 2 is a degree of invisibility, 3 is moving while invisible, 4 is changing appearance. Perception 2 is supersenses, 3 is superempathy, 4 is psychometry.

14 Likes

Found some things.

Slightly confusing interaction

In that way peculiar to Guidry, the sound of his voice rumbles out of his throat. “Dey wuz tawkin about Clo-toh.”

“Good evening to you too, M. Guidry. It is always a pleasure to see you.”

“Dey wuz tawkin about Clo-toh.”

“Yes, I feel quite well this evening. Thank you for asking. I’m glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying your occupation so.”

“Dey wuz tawkin about Clo-toh.”

I’ve always been a little confused by this exchange with Guidry. The character doesn’t seem to have difficulty understanding him any other times you speak with him, or any other characters that speak with some kind of accent, so why now?

Suggestion 1

“Is you afeared o’ me?”

“I smell the oil. I do not wish to meet my death this evening.”

“You always wuz a smart one.”

“You know, I’ve been very worried about you.”

“So worried you let Kwaister Withers turn me in to a vam-piah?”

“She didn’t ask me first.”

“She didn’ ask me, neither.”

“Well, it’s time for you to go home, Wilson. Time to leave Memphis,” you say, a slight edge to your tone.

I feel like this meeting could be a little more positive if you made every effort to be kind to him. Letting him know how much you appreciate his loyalty, helping his brother out of slavery, even setting him up with his own farm when you let him go.

Possible continuity error?

It’s the end of May and it’s been four years since P.T. Barnum’s circus visited St. Louis. Now rebranded, “The Greatest Show on Earth,” it is touring the middle of the country. That, of course, means several days in St. Louis. You recall fondly your previous attendance.

1. I invite Hiram to attend the circus with me once again.
  2. I invite Sabine Bécard to attend the circus with me.
  3. I arrange a rendezvous with Annie Jones.
  4. I will attend the circus by myself.

It’s a bit weird that I can arrange a rendezvous with a Annie even if I’ve never talked to her.

Confusing choice

How much income would you like to donate?

1. Five.
  2. Ten.
  3. Fifteen.

When endowing some doctor’s laboratory this comes up. It’s a bit confusing. Donate five what? Five thousand dollars? Is it removing 5-15 from the income permanently?

Suggestion 2

“I am sorry to hear that, Miss Browne. Now, about the Meriwethers…”

It seems that a man by the name of Minor Meriwether, an associate of Nathan Bedford Forrest, has organized a group of landowners, urging them to refuse to pay their taxes. Meriwether, his brother Niles, and Forrest have been working at this for years it seems, but recently their efforts have gained a critical mass. The finances of the city are spiraling out of control as the former Confederates hold it hostage, demanding to be granted the right to vote and run for office again. Carothers is greatly perturbed by these men, but seems uncertain as to how to handle the situation.

Maybe Carothers will know that you are lying to him about the war messing up your money if you live in the Greenlaw place. Unsure if Carothers knows the exact location of the character’s haven though.

Semi-repeating sentences and spelling error 1

Upon returning home, you direct Maeve to search the newspapers for the itinerary of the Barnum & Bailey circus. Once ascertained, you compose a letter and send it along to meet her in a few days.

Over the next few months, you strike up an increasingly salacious correspondence. She has a way with words and—more importantly—seems to recall your assignation with fondness. You’ve maintained an intermittant correspondence with her in the interim. The conversation has alternated between salacious and poignant. She has a way with words and further seems to recall your assignation with fondness, though she occasionally dips into less-cheery reflections on her condition.

Repeats how Annie has a way with words and intermittent is misspelled.

Illiterate inconsistency

You look about yourself fearfully, wondering if anyone can perceive this moment of vulnerability. Amazingly, Mandarin, Hebe, and Columbia aren’t the only elephants. No, in fact, the workers keep unloading the massive beasts. And unloading. All told, there must be about three dozen of them. As well as camels and zebras and other creatures about which you’ve only read in the most fanciful of storybooks.

The two of you watch as the laborers and performers strive together to erect the tents before dawn arrives and brings even more gawkers to the show.

Illiterate character has done some reading.

Spelling error 2

It’s at this point that Elliot’s anger overcomes his confusion. From within his coat he pulls out a knife and begins to advance on the two of you.

You could step back and let Annie try and talk him down; she might appreciate that. Alternatley, if you’re fast enough and have enough control over your beast, you can interject yourself and fall on his knife. A few jabs and he’ll probably assume that he’s killed you. If you don’t lose your temper and rip his throat out, that should put the fear of the law into some part of his brain.

Should be alternatively.

Spelling error 3

June rolls around. The days are long and your nighttime adventures are comensurately curtailed.

You read in the newspaper that there has been a fire in Creede, Colorado, consuming many of the downtown structures. You are grateful that you did not gamble on Mr Smith’s scheme; this fire is likely his downfall.

The peculiarity of the conflagration is compounded by the fact that, just two days later, Robert Ford is murdered in his just-erected tent saloon. He had apparently relocated to Creede when the silver mine was opened and established a saloon there, which was consumed along with the rest of the town by the fire. Resistance takes many forms; some among the black community seek to use the master’s tools to dismantle the master’s house.

Should be commensurately.

Sr. Ferdinand

“Sr. Ferdinand de Villanueva e Itamaraca was a pirate during his life and even in his death. He was responsible for Jean Lafitte joining Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans; it is unfortuante that you did not meet him there. Regardless, it is rumored that he is involved with the revolutionaries in Cuba.”

Re-report. His name is Fernando.

Suggestion 3

Maeve does her best to comfort you. You push her away, but whenever you need something, she is there, having already anticipated your need. She is clearly affected by your sorrow.

As for you, there is nothing to be done but grieve.

The nights pass and you put one foot in front of the other. Eventually, you do enough “firsts” after her death—first time you’ve fed, first time you’ve seen other vampires, first time seeing a play—that you start to feel some distance between you and her. The distance comes in fits and spurts—sometimes, she is right there with you yet again, both present and absent. And finally, one day, you smile for the first time since she died, and you hate yourself for it. How can you smile when Annie is dead? But then you smile again, and eventually you realize you can’t hate yourself for continuing to exist.

I feel like Silas and/or Clotho could be mentioned somewhere in this, near the end at least. Because the character has been though this before.

Repeating sentence

Norris is clearly delighted with your partnership. **You direct Maeve to see him out. You direct Maeve to see him out. **

She leads him out twice.

Spelling error 4

“Have you ever found yourself entirely alone in the world? Without friends or connections? Without even the possiblity of sympathy from anyone that you meet? Let me answer that question for you: no, you have not. Believe me when I tell you that when you are beset on all sides, even the smallest shred of mutual understanding—of shared history—can be a lifeline that is only spurned by the foolish.”

“And that is why you serve him? Beause of mutual understanding?”

She sighs and shakes her head. “Yes, if that is what you understood me to have said.”

Should be because.

West is bugged

Error: line 188: Neither true nor false: 0.

Can’t pick West as sire. Error message pops up.

Small annoyance

Unfortunately, despite many late nights, you are unable to devise any possible improvements to the building’s plans or construction techniques.

My character had 4 technology. I feel like I should have succeeded even if I lacked the required 3 intelligence. Perhaps even have something special happen because inhuman technology skill level.

Just a quicky to suggest that a character with high enough intelligence, lore or/and an education in Latin shouldn’t say, rather dimly, that they’ve never heard of a Praetor or Consul when Withers first mentions the Stone Putsch. At least if one’s proficiency in lore isn’t high enough there could be a line about hearing those terms but not within the context of the Society. You’re a creative enough fellow; you’ll think of something. Bye now.

2 Likes

PS: Another idea might be - and forgive my impertinence to suggest such a thing - would be if it was possible, at the first caucus after having asked someone about the ‘involvement in mortal affairs’ and discovered the Shepherds and Wolves debate (say if one asked Bailey and Partridge about it) would it be possible for you to create a dialogue option to then go to someone else, say like Lockridge and ask about the origin of the terms, as one can do if one learns about the debate before the 1st Caucus? That’s truly all, serious, the end.

The idea here is that Guidry isn’t treated seriously by anyone. Like, he says things, and people just humor him, like he’s an invalid or something. So, when he says randomly–and unsolicitedly–that someone was talking about Clotho, the PC’s instinct is to ignore it and change the subject. It takes Guidry repeating the statement several times before the PC really comprehends what Guidry’s saying.

Done!

This probably has something to do with using the checkpoint system. Somehow, the variable $sire_alive isn’t cleared out/reset to default. Try refreshing your browser and restarting; that should fix this.

Great suggestion!

Another party where we could use willpower to eat regular food maybe.

What I was asking about before was how one’s character can discover the ‘Partridge perfidy’ which I’ve done before several times but each time I’ve failed to replicate in a consistent way.

Previously I laid out my general observations (it can only be accomplished during the 2nd Caucus, high perception levels prevent this by triggering the confrontation in round one, getting Coffin to back Malloy or otherwise eliminating a candidate via insinuation or an appeal to their interests again causes the confrontation with Partridge to be sprung prematurely and thus one fails, usw.).

Would you be able to help me on this as, after playing the game on over a hundred occasions or so, it’s terribly frustrating? Particularly so as there is a follow up confrontation in St Louis where one can more easily get an answer out of Partridge and I’d like to be able to see what happens there if one was able to discover the Partridge plot at Memphis (partly to resolve any outstanding bugs and partly because of the frustration of not being to figure this out).

Please, any help would really be appreciated. Does that make sense?

I can send you some random playthroughs that result in that outcome, but I don’t know off the top of my head what the requirements are.

Check your email.

Much obliged. I’ll tell you what I can make sense of.

1 Like

Success in at the final moment does depend on these things:

Independence > 30
speaks_english
hubris > 25

And ONE of the following:
status > 1
Willpower > 2
Agility > 3
Stealth > 2

And to clarify, forgive me, the Independence figure gets higher the more isolated one’s character is I’d assume. And would having multiple of the second group cause the attempted exposure of the plot to be a failure? And would I be right in saying that having high levels of perception (either 2 or 3) nullify all those figures?

Independence isn’t a matter of isolation, it’s a matter of not “playing by the Society’s rules.” Thus the reason for the Independence check: if you believe in the Society too much, you can’t challenge a clearly higher-ranking individual in such a public manner.

No, having multiple elements from the second group wouldn’t cancel each other out.

Perception doesn’t come into play in the final test. It might be relevant earlier in the uncovering chain, though.

Okay that makes sense on the first 2 points. What I meant about perception though, was that if by being at the first caucus one’s character (having that high level of perception) was able to notice Partridge’s odd behaviour that would prevent one from discovering the plot in the second caucus (or the final test as you say). Would that be right?

There are two flags here.

The first is “partridge_betrayal” which you trip by getting him to show himself/betray the Revolutionaries.

Once he’s shown himself, you can “notice_partridges_betrayal” by either having a perception > 2 (giving it automatically) or by asking Carothers about it—he explains it to you.

Noticing it in the 1873 caucus shouldn’t preclude also noticing it in the 1877 one. If it is, I’d appreciate some more information on how that happens.

That said, I’ve added a little bit of text to reflect if you noticed it in 1873 and again in 1877.

1 Like

Ugh. This conversation has been pushing me to finally add something like Academics as a skill.

I’ve tried to resist, but Lore and education really are two different things.

7 Likes