Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

Awww thanks for the explanation. I was assuming since you have two cousins the alliance could be made with ether Calea, or Hector. But since the choice is strictly referring to Hector that makes a lot of sense now.

Irduin, the town where you’ll spend most of Game 2 Ch 2, is a bit more prosperous than Rim Square and significantly better connected to the rest of the Hegemony. It’s definitely not an impoverished wilderness like the Brecks.

Its most important difference from the Rim is the less exploitative balance it’s found between social classes, under the enlightened paternalism of House de Irde. Its governing coalition of interests (including the helot elders) has been much better able over time to resist the erosion of traditional liberties and assertions of authority by Telones, Theurges, and the Hegemony.

You’ll get to see that balance beginning to break down under the impact of the “Rim Commotion,” and have the opportunity either to contribute to the collapse or to try shoring things up. (Or just to remain a disinterested spectator, while trying to remotely manage the Rim revolt.)

13 Likes

@Havenstone Absolutely all my men are stupid stupid helots That demand more mules than people I have got. Literally WE NEED MORE MULES TO ATTEND OUR ZERO ILL PEOPLE FOUR AREN’T ENOUGH I have 40 people and ten mules … Could I put a mule as leadership in the rim? No seriously Mara considers mules far more charismatic that helots. I am screwed hard with them :crying_cat_face: : :sob:

5 Likes

Mara I love your way of writing so straightforward and honest :joy:

@Havenstone I gotta say Calea left a strong impression me when she made her surprise appearance after my foolish noble mc tried to arrange meeting with Hector! Too bad she has a weird thing for helot men…
On that note is it okay to ask when we’ll meet out “beloved” cousins again?

Are we going to meet with our rebel band in Outer Rim before we go our merry way or is that too dangerous?

Also I’m curious were there any characters that were hard for you to write? How did you come up with different characters?

1 Like

All three have very vivid personalities, and I’ve greatly enjoyed my interactions with Calea and Horion. Kalt not so much, but Kalt reminds me too much of certain irritating, “challenging to manage” and “overzealous to an extreme” real life individuals I’ve known. As a result I tend to take Suzane 19 times out of 20 as she fits my preferred play-style much better. I still like Kalt as a character, but since you’ve given me the option of not having to manage them, and Suzane as an alternate choice, it’s an easy call for me.

Yep, the failed cousin romance with Hector back-story option is only available to aristo MC’s. It’s only a back-story however as the romance is in the past. The “alliance” option has nothing to do with romance or marriage and is only available with Calea, and only to aristo MC’s. It’s a very fragile and temporary alliance however, although it’s not impossible that it could turn into something longer lasting depending on how the game plays out. Finally there is also a future romance option with Calea that will become available to helot MC’s at some point. That is something entirely different from the situational alliance an aristo MC can form with her.

4 Likes

Thanks, Now I am following in most of threads a more serious approach to been more credible for most new authors. However with people as @Havenstone @Cataphrak @JimD I could give my feedback with my carefree sincerity and in role play fashion That I think is far easier to understand the issues and what my opinion really is. However most people prefer jumping in the bushes and use a less empathize comments with serious long wording. So Like my objective is helping i change my tones to author understanding.

However yeah, here you will see a the real Mara in her natural habitat lol :wink:

6 Likes

Calea will be all over the second half of Game 2. Hector might be, but will certainly feature early in Game 3.

You’ll meet reps, but not the whole band, and nowhere near the Outer Rim.

I wouldn’t say any were hard to write. I came up with them at different points when it felt like the story needed a bit more flesh, or where I thought of a character dynamic/relationship I thought would be engaging or fun.

7 Likes

This made me laugh. Forget about thinking so hard about the who would be the best deputy or leader in the MCs place in book 2 just give the job to a mule, after all they are hardworking, they don’t complain and it’s definitely a safer choice than trusting in Breden xD

5 Likes

Mara was suspicious about the healer relationship with one of rebels because Game says 0 injured however text says he is attending one patient always same guy that get alone without doing anything they also demand more than four mules for her… I don’t want to know what in hell they want doing alone with four mules. I left them with one. But Radmar was OH WE NEED MORE MULES WE have only twelve for 40 people. I swear so much food and so few working is making them stupid. I vote for Pumpkin freckles as my rim leader She is peaceful obedient and shayardene

3 Likes

Well eating those mushrooms surely messes up his ability to think rationally.

Can’t wait to see more of her. Didn’t like how Hector was tho only one in book 1 whom the MC could have feelings for.

1 Like

Tell me lol. He puke over Mara and talking about supposed kids dying or something When nobody died I have spoiled food and only 40 people… and all are adults. Pumpkin is far more intelligent if you ask me. And more peaceful.

Similarly to how nobles can change their surname to make a statement, will there be an opportunity for helots to do something about their ‘slave’ name?

1 Like

I don’t think helots, at least not the Keriatou ones in the outer Rim have slave names they simply continued using the old, Shayardene naming conventions. If there are slave names I think the poor drudges in the urban factories would be most of risk at getting assigned them as they work in an environment close to the poor but free urban population, so it would be a way to emphasize their slave status and distinguish them. In the wide open backwards backwoods there would be little need for such measures as nobody free and important interacts with helots on any regular basis.

2 Likes

I’m just asking because I noticed that only helots have last names like “Wheatfield”, “Laborer”, or “Turnspit”, while the last names of free commoners in Shayard are completely different. I assumed that was a caste thing.

I think most nobles probably don’t even know helots last names as they are more often referred by the name of the noble family that own them. I recall Breden introduced herself as Breden t’de Rose to Keriatou

Helots last names…Maybe for helots it was a way to create own identity outside of the house that owned them? To distinguish themselves?

1 Like

It doesn’t have to do anything. For instance in Feudal Spanish servants many times use the noble family they serve as surname like for instance Diaz my first surname is a nobility famous surname The Cid was from Diaz family However my second surname Is Garrote something like a wooden mace or a big stick. A weapon peasants could use. Both of my surnames are from same social level I come from a boring list of Galician peasants since Julius Caesar. It is simple surnames born from nicknames and jobs so If you are a Smith or working as servant you end with that family name. It has nothing to do with status is more depending of your place and that. And just as ExplanatioinSpain we have two surnames one from each parent and no single woman has to lost their surname for a patriarchy stupid rule We maintain them and nobody could make us lose it.

3 Likes

That would be a nice choice if it were presented to helot MCs later on. But I think most of their surnames are supposed to reflect a type of profession their family has been doing, similar to how many of our real-word names do. So, if you work on the plantations, it might be Sower or Reaper, and if you make baskets, it might be Weaver. That kind of thing. And I guess stuff like “t’ de Rose” are a way of the helots inform people who they belong to.

Indeed, my kinda likes Oakfell. If he succeeds in bringing down the Hegemony it would have an even nicer ring to it.
To my mc a “slave name” would be if he were forced to change it as part of the act of ennobling himself or being ennobled. But then those are actions my mc would not even contemplate unless his situation was dire indeed, but if were that dire that’s also the point he may as well go down fighting rather than acquiesce to those kinds of humiliations. So it’s rather unlikely to ever happen to him in any case.

1 Like

@Havenstone Will our reputation from game 1 with the various groups (priests, nobles, etc.) affect future games?