Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

There’ll be more on helot surnames in Ch 2, but most helots would consider their “slave name” to be the name of the House that owned them. Claiming yeoman-like surnames (when the Hegemony started insisting everyone use surnames more consistently) was a small but near-universal defiance. The occupational naming conventions for yeomen (e.g. Ciels Gamekeep) and helots are meant to be very similar, though unlike yeomen, very few helots are named for places.

I may give a chance to swap your old occupational surname for a new one–we’ll see.

Of course! Those stats will continue to matter through all 5 games.

6 Likes

Occupational surnames are fine. Some MCs might view epithets such as Theurge-Bane as their new occupation. Even some noble MCs might prefer not to be associated by name with their father.

I certainly will let My new peasantry former helots choosing their surnames I will give them a listing with possible names because I don’t want they choosing nobility names and ended causing havoc about nobles complaining. Also we need guilds and guild education a professional job training. Due there will be no free Labour so there should be changing with good artisans. Thankfully Shayard is not a industrial region for me that will destroy all theurge is a plus. I could after the big famine maintaining a stable feudal system that will be able to develop free of the blood chain of death. With the addition of a society that accept people differences in bed and out bed. Then Mara will retire to observe grumpyly the new Shayard monarchy

About the mules… i think my gamble paid off , i left them with zero mule because i need all of them to have a non violent rebellion :slight_smile:

I think it would be better if Helots never even had surnames, 1 name is fine for me.

You have ten millions of helots in front of you only in Shayard. You need account them for very different reasons . Fighters, taxes control who access restricting areas . There is 9000 Henry now discovered how is the Henry in that barracks that is the spy. Or the Henry rhat you want use as mule trainer from X town. As it happened in real life In the moment more than 10,000 people is together in a social scenario you need a way to control Who in hell is who. A simple name doesn’t do anything where is ten thousands same name in same place. So surnames and nicknames appears naturally

1 Like

@Havenstone this is pretty minor question, but I was wondering how old are Calea, Hector and Kalt?

Kala/Kalt and Calea are your age; Hector is 2 years older (I think – I’m not near my notes).

7 Likes

@Havenstone If I failed to steer the rebels in a particular religious/skeptic direction in Uprising, will there be more opportunities to do that in the later books?

After the conversation with Linos, I tried to convince the rebels that they don’t need Ecclesiasts, they can all hear the angels. Nobody really cared. I think I failed the Devout stat check, since charm was my MC’s main stat and that shouldn’t have been a problem.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I played the game, so I’m not sure exactly how your stats should be. Having high charm for it is a must, and I think you also need to have a popular Breden who agrees with you on this. Then they’ll throw their weight around and convince some of the rebels to join your side.

But this is all from memory, and I might have it mixed with the Kenon route.

No needed Breden as I have never had Breden and I have kenon and weird religion established without any issue. But My game conditions are so weird that I can’t give advice.

I don’t think Breden even had anything to do with it? After conversing with Linos and him asking to declare me Ecclesiast, I chose to lead my rebels in a path that requires no Ecclesiast and everybody can hear the angels. Then the next morning, my MC just up and declared this, and everybody kind of muttered and went their own ways. Breden wasn’t involved in any way.

Also, I did have high charm.

I haven’t done the Kenon route (yet), so I wouldn’t know if you mixed it up but thanks anyway.

Wow, I didn’t know that. Thnaks for telling me, Mara :slightly_smiling_face:

Without that, I’d always guess that you need Breden in the group to get Kenon or the new religion established.

Hm… maybe you need an MC who has a lot of leadership in the band? That would be difficult for a high CHA character, since they can’t really go on raids by themselves. And it would explain why everyone just sort of okays the decision.

1 Like
For the Kenon route from the source code from the end of the open beta:
  "The only safety from their lies… is in embracing kenon."
  *page_break
  "What are you saying, ${kuria}?" 
  *if bred_here
    Breden 
    *if bred_heart >= 10
      growls.  $!{xhis} own hackles are clearly up at your apparent blasphemy.
    *if bred_heart < 10
      asks levelly.  You can see ${xhim} warily trying to decide whether what you're saying is blasphemy.
  *if not(bred_here)
    young Earnn asks uneasily.
  "Surely we avoid lies by embracing truth?"

"The embrace of kenon is the path to truth, 
  *if int = 0
    *if bred_here
      Breden."
    *if not(bred_here)
      Earnn."  
    You nod solemnly, hoping it seems as obvious to the band as it does to you… because you've got no idea how to articulate the idea further.
    *if elery > 0
      Elery gives a sudden, excited nod, as if something just slipped into place in her mind. 
    *if not(bred_here)
      And to your great relief, Earnn swallows, nods back to you, and backs away.  

The
      *goto restoband
    *if bred_here

Unfortunately, Breden seems unconvinced.  "No, ${kuria}.
      *if bred_heart < 10
        You know I'll follow you into any battle… but
      I won't embrace this kenon business.  It doesn't sit right."
      *if elery > 0
        Elery opens her mouth, then looks at Breden and swallows whatever she was about to say.

Having the charismatic former helot oppose you opens the floodgates for less restrained critics.
      *gosub blasphemy
      *goto visfail
  *if bred_here
    Breden.
  *if not(bred_here)
    Earnn.
  Kenon is the discipline that winnows out lies, even when they're louder and prettier than truth.  It leaves standing only the things we cannot doubt."  You walk up to
  *if bred_here
    Breden, grasp ${xhis}
  *if not(bred_here)
    Earnn, grasp his
  hands. "Believe only what you must—that's what it means to embrace kenon.  Believe what is self-evidently true or proven to you, when your mind is cool and your blood steady in your veins."
  *if elery > 0

Elery gives a sudden, excited nod, as if something just slipped into place in her mind. "$!{he}'s right.
    *if bred_here
      Breden.
    Damn me if ${he}'s not."
    *set e_rel +1

Slowly, reluctantly, 
  *if bred_here
    Breden 
  *if not(bred_here)
    Earnn
  nods…. and the 
  *label restoband
  rest of the band erupts in awed, unsettled conversation.
  *gosub outreach
  "…will you join me on the path of kenon?  This isn't the last time an Ecclesiast will try to ensnare us.  Not to set me up as a false Eclect—they won't be such fools twice."  Now you flood your voice with contempt and
  *if not(notthere)
    menace; Linos' folded arms tighten miserably around his chest.
  *if notthere
    foreboding.
  "Next time, they'll appeal to you, ${addressc}."
  *choice
    #"The priests…"
      *goto psnake
    #"The liars…"
      *set cred_p -5
      *goto psnake
    #"The snakes…"
      *set cred_p -10
      *goto psnake
  *label psnake
  "…will try to get you believing that our rebellion can only succeed when we submit ourselves to their authority.  To their rules.  To their pretense that they alone hear the Angels' voice.  They'll try to entice you back onto their path."  You raise your voice until it cracks.  "This day, this moment, ${addressc}, we need to set our eyes together on a new path.  The one they try to frighten us away from.  The path of truth.  The path of kenon."

"You're telling us to give up the Angels?" 
  *if rescuer = 0
    *if aristo
      helot elder
    Gillian Adze
  *if rescuer > 0
    Ciels
  protests shrilly.
  *choice
    #"There are no Angels.  They're just one of the lies we've been fed."
      *if bred_here
        Breden is only the first to raise ${xhis} voice in outraged denial.
      *if elery > 0
        Elery recoils, her smile shrivelling into a grimace.
      Such blatant rejection of Xthonic doctrine is more than your outlaws can take, even from a leader of your charisma.
      *gosub blasphemy
      *goto visfail
    #"No. But you don't wait for the Angels to cook your meals.  I say, don't wait for Them to show us a way to justice."
      *if elery > 0
        *set e_rel +1
        Elery laughs and shouts, "They haven't done it in three centuries—why would they start now?"

While a quarter of the band grumbles at her irreverence, you extend placating hands and say, "The
      *if elery < 1
        "Three and a half centuries have passed with no hint of deliverance from the Thaumatarchy.  The
      Angels have not set us a path to freedom.  It's one we've been left to discover ourselves.  And as we search, the lies of the so-called priesthood of Xthonos are a snare and distraction.  Only kenon will free us."

Some of the outlaws are still wavering, but most
      *goto sweardiak
    #"No, of course not.  Just don't believe those who tell you they know the Angels' will."
      *if elery > 0
        You can see Elery drinking in the message, and meet her eyes as you say,
        *set e_rel +1
      "Empty your mind of the Ecclesiasts' lies… and I promise you, in that quiet place of kenon you'll be far better able to hear the voice of compassion, of truth, of justice."

Most of the outlaws
      *goto sweardiak

It looks like you need CHA 2 definitely and INT 1 appears to help avoid needing Breden. Then you still have to avoid outright denying the existence of the “Angels”.

Even if my MCs had CHA 2, they still would not bother with that route. It reminds me too much of the Cult of Reason nonsense during the first French Revolution. My MCs would have no interest in replacing one religious superstition with another.

3 Likes

In fact i created in the beta a weird cult that totally remember me The cult of reason something about water and flowers lol… But i decided that was no Mara choice

2 Likes

Will be still be able to keep up positive relations with the hegemony priests if we convert the band to one of the 3 different “heresies” in the first game? What about the other religions (Forgotten gods, Theoi, etc.)?

Absolutely; I’ve done it myself with the Inner Voice. Diakon Edwer was especially helpful in arranging my contribution to the Ecclesiasts’ Retirement Fund.

1 Like

@Ramidel’s guide helped crack the mule code for me, now I’m able to do it in my sleep.

Problem is that I feel that this whole, Inner Voice thing feels like Protestant hogwash. Also I like the idea of using the existing power structure to my benefit. Why go and mess with stuff when all you need to do is declare yourself the Chosen One.

2 Likes

Mara totally is the Shayardene choosen one. And about mules i prefer my total blindness and imagine that my nurse has a fetish for mules. And is so fun due game code is not designed for mara idea of rebellion. But craziness is fun

3 Likes

Pacifist rebellions work if people care enough that a bunch of unarmed protestors get killed or clubbed.

The Hegemony doesn’t seem to have to worry about that PR disaster.

3 Likes