Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

What is the interbreed levels Ptolemaic? Roman empire levels? or more actual? I am portraying a very genetic closed Hegemony nobility

Also, @Havenstone If we are very charismatic, could we convince the nobility with Shayardene last names to adopt Karagond ones, and vice-versa? (Speaking of charisma, will we able to appeal to the free lower classes instead of helots)

How about a dream? Like the Mc gets a fever of some sort and then has a dream of meeting Xaos. And depending on the axes of Decout/Skeptical, the Mc may choose to believe in it and follow it if their anarchy is high enough or their ideologies align. Or dismiss it outright as a fantastical dream.

Of course there will be no blunt aid from Xaos, only subtle things; like back in Chapter 2 Winter, you may choose to raid a temple or tithe barn, and depending on how devout/skeptical you are, the other injured rebels that accompanied you might die (resulting in a loss of moral) or live (resulting in attacking tithe barns or temples without consequence for your band, except for the ire or rage of the Priests).

It would be a scandal for a Karagond noble to marry a provincial noble, even an Archon. That’s not to say it never happens, but the loss of status would be immense. For a Karagond merchant to marry a provincial noble might be seen as tolerable from the Karagond side, if a bit shameful by the prouder provincials.

There definitely isn’t a Ptolemaic level of inbreeding. As noted in Game 1 and the WIP thread, cousins are fair game.

Definitely the vice-versa. It’s rather harder to persuade people who’ve held onto their traditional names for centuries despite the political advantages of being an -atou. But I supopse it’s possible.

And yes, you’ll have the choice of appealing to the lower tiers of the free rather than helots.

There may well be something of this sort with the Angels, but I don’t think I’ll do it with Xaos. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Personally, I like this decision. Sometimes it takes away from from the foreboding presence of figures like Xaos to directly depict them. Better for them to lurk in the corner of the mind.

1 Like

I view more of an inspiring figure actually. At least he feels something. I do not trust impersonal and detached beings of insurmountable power.

If Xaos get a scene means that Xaos exists and the action of the dreams have a corresponding in reality and in stats so that means is real so all gods are i n facto real. That’s the Elder scrolls lore view. In my opinion sucks as I want be atheist and is impossibly when gods are TANGIBLE REAL AND AFFECTS STATS

1 Like

Do Theurges marry each other, or non-Theurges? Also, for the mod, who was Hera married to? (Assuming her daughter is natural)

Edit: Also, can Theurges inherit land? If they can, that sounds… dangerous.

You could still be can’t you? Just because something is real doesn’t mean you can’t devoutly believe its not real. Besides, this is COR, everythings subtle.

To be fair, the Angels did kinda whisper to us in the first game. Sacrifice they said. Hellfire would have been more useful (grumvles cause he had to repeat the entire game foolishly believing the Angels would save them).

No angel has whispering Sacrifice to me in any playthrough. As role-playing CAN’T negate a certain TANGIBLE proof of the existence of Xaos or Angels. If they are TANGIBLE and a clear experience figures I am forced to believe in them so A destroying my enjoyment B limiting this as a choosen one complex narrative.

That’s one of my main concern with several details in Elder Scrolls lore and the broken of continuous time

1 Like

@Havenstone How many Strategoi and Phalangites would be deployed on the Halassurq Ward during a “hot war” period?

Also, are there many mercenary companies?

1 Like

@Havenstone

If mc chooses to have the same diet as everyone, shouldn’t it also change if you switch up the adult outlaws’ diet?

More than a few times my mc got sick on 3/4 rations even though the other outlaws at that point had a healthy diet.

3 Likes

I think that will make a not need complex details. If you control your data you will remember to change your diet too. I mean i have never forget that but maybe is because I am a role-player so i have the fact my character is hungry in mind ? :thinking:

1 Like

@Havenstone It was nice seeing the calendar. Is there a year 0 of the Hegemonic Era?

As far as the spoilers on the XOR wiki go, it might be possible on that site to do collapsible sections sort of like using the details tag on this forum. I think that might permit merging spoiler and non-spoiler sections such that only the spoiler sections are collapsed (though it sounds like it does not work properly for mobile devices).

The wiki is full of juicy stuff, this is exciting!

362 HE: Thaumatarch Kleitos adopts a young child to be his heir.

Our friendly heir to the throne doesn’t have the imperial blood? This would mean Hera’s direct bloodline will end with Kleitos either way, yes @Havenstone?

It is possible Hera’s bloodline already ended long ago. Maybe she herself adopted her heir(s) too.
In any case, the Karagonds follow the more ancient model from before the whole bloodline descent thing became absolutely mandatory. From Egyptian to Roman times what mattered for noble dynasties was more that the family and dynasty name continued and was as “great” as possible rather than bloodline descent being the be all end all of things. Thus if a noble has no heirs or sometimes even when they were utterly unsuited you could freely (in the sense that there is no social stigma) adopt a suitable heir. The Romans even adopted adult heirs at times.

Contrast the Karagond focus on dynastic and family names with the Laconniers, who do not seem to pay much heed to the family or dynasty name of the old royal family but do make much hay out of the Laconnier pretenders being bloodline descended from that last prince who fled into the forest.

Thus, as a gay man, the basis of Karagond inheritance law as far as adoption is concerned is actually one of the things my mc wants to preserve. As real world history provides many examples of the drawback of bloodline descent, particularly when it comes to stigmatizing same-sex couples and relationships.

1 Like

@poison_mara, I don’t think that a dream sequence about Xaos or Angels (or experience of “hearing” the Angels in your head, which as noted is already a possible Game One climax) would make it impossible to be an atheist MC in-game.

All that stuff unquestionably happens in our world too. Like millions of other people, I’ve had the experience of hearing God. And while I’ve not had a dream in which God spoke, I know plenty of people who have.

Those experiences are neither proof of God nor disproof of atheism. They can be subjectively compelling evidence for the person who experiences them, but they’re far from proof (even for the experiencer, if they’re intellectually honest). Any atheism that didn’t have a way to explain away theistic experiences of this sort would be weak sauce.

@KuriosIasoun: Theurges aren’t allowed to marry non-Theurges, for reasons that are probably obvious. They can own land, but are encouraged not to, and largely comply. In particular, when nobles become Theurges, they stop using the family name (“Theurge” is seen as the highest title one can have) and generally sign over any property rights to their siblings.

Hera initially married Archelaos, the lord of Aekos and father of Eosphora, before the “rules” were set. When he died of old age, Hera took as a second consort Kosima, a fellow Theurge.

I can’t tell you numbers for military deployments yet, I’m afraid. Still keeping that open-ended until the point I have to answer it for game design purposes. The Hegemony and Halassur both use conscript armies and professional state-salaried soldiers in their conflict; Halassur uses mercenaries on its other frontiers, but thanks to the Wards, the Hegemony doesn’t have wars elsewhere.

It should. Let me check and try to fix that.

No – it goes straight from 1 XE to 1 HE.

And on the Wiki, I’d like us to keep spoilers on separate pages from non-spoilers; collapsible sections are not I think adequate spoiler protection.

That is correct. And @idonotlikeusernames is correct that the Karagonds don’t see this as a big deal; everyone accepted that the important thing is the continuation of the charism of leadership, not blood descent.

It might of course matter to others, and not just to Laconniers. :slight_smile: But that’s something Sarcifer and his friends can explain in the far future; I’ll say no more of it now.

10 Likes

If you give a stat boost otr someething from dream has give the dream a correlation to physical world so proof the existence of something no way be atheistic

For Instance pathfinder kingmaker game i am not in middle game I have physical evidence first hand of existence of three gods one even tried possess me and given me mental languages knowledge. However lore adamantly say YOU CAN BE ATHEISTIC and don’t believe in gods when i have been in heaven plane and see a damn divine court ans factually see demonstrating that are immortal and eternal

1 Like

In Pathfinder’s lore, atheism is not “not believing in the existence of gods,” it’s refusing to worship them or to believe that they are beings worthy of worship. It’s different from XoR, where the Compassionate Angels’ very existence is in question one way or another.

That depends on the stat, surely? Mohammed, Joan of Arc, and Joshua (to name only three) all got their combat stats boosted by religion–but that doesn’t mean what they saw/heard was true, just that strong belief in it had real-world effects.

@Norilinde, sorry, I missed answering your question: you can’t force aether back into metal to make a Talisman. If you could, the whole blood economy would look totally different.

1 Like