Choice of Rebels-Uprising Help/Hints

I think that’s a given! I seem to recall it mentioned that in the later volumes we’ll be able to completely betray the founding principles of our rebellion in a variety of ways. Thus, you could reasonably start out as Shayard-loving, but once you reach and conquer the Hegemonic capital and taste true power… betrayal!

1 Like

I meant the opposite! Taking a religious position will invariably alienate some people. I’m interested to know whether the loss of specialized troops has a tradeoff with something other than immediate morale. Can I be a fence-sitter or habitual compromiser, or does taking a neutral position harm me in the long run?

2 Likes

The intent with the prologues is just to introduce some of the key ideas of the gameworld–the point increases they offer should be indicative but small enough to not really matter. One of the key choices is what you say first to Breden: did you pick the cosmospolitan choice there, of what you hate most about the Hegemony? (Or at the beginning of Ch 2, when offered the choice to present a different face to the world than you did to Breden, you can pick the same.) Whatever you pick there gets a big boost.

The second chapter of Storrmwright is set in a village in Shayard, where the MC discovers that many people will prefer a rebellion that isn’t too extreme on any of the metrics.

5 Likes

Much like Vendetta I hope you make a new thread for the new installment so we can engage in more baseless speculation thought-provoking discussion soon. :persevere:

5 Likes

When I’m happy with what I’ve got of Stormwright Ch 1, I’ll put it up. But it’s been one of those crazy busy years at the day job so far, so I’m afraid progress has been and continues to be slow.

10 Likes

This is part of why it’s going to be such an epic series - there is a seriously serious (seriously) amount of variety and flexibility being given to us in terms of how - and maybe even more importantly, why - we drive our narrative forward as a character. Personally my goal is full-on bloody peasant uprising from start to finish, with as little compromise as possible. Can’t wait!

FTFY :innocent:

2 Likes

It turns out I only just noticed now that the second choice when talking with Breden gives less points than the first. Since I was going after the kenosis achievement, I had a lot of opportunities to raise/lower devoutness, and not as many for cosmopolitan. Shoulda chosen that one first, and started out with 75 points. Well, live and learn. I think I’m past the tolerance of replaying Esme’s game from chapter one.

1 Like

Getting appointed Eclect by Linos tells the rest of the Ecclesiasts that your new Hegemony will still have a role for the priesthood and a hierarchical church - in other words, you’re playing ball with them. Accordingly, that raises your credibility with the priesthood.

And the ones who you’re more likely to gain support from through chastity are the nobles. “Xthonic chastity” is actually more of an aristocratic more than a specifically religious one, despite the apparent religious overtones.

7 Likes

I’m not sure, in practice it certainly seems to be, but the only thing other then an aristo that the mc can be isn’t even considered fully human. I’d be curious to see how it affects the merchants, soldiers and the upper reaches of the yeoman. For that matter the mc comes from a real backwater so I’d be curious to see how these things are treated in the more properly “civilized” parts of the provinces, let alone Karagond proper.

I suppose the reverse of that is that (former) helots probably only gain support through monogamous heterosexual relationships that result in lots of offspring for the Harrowers.

Which is why my mc really isn’t keen on it for starters since destroying the current, hierarchical church that tells him he isn’t fully human and cannot be gay is not going to be a part of any new order. If the Xthonic faith is to survive it can only be by splintering into numerous tiny sects, led by some of the former diakons and cut-off from all state support. Regardless of what happens to the faith though the current abomination of a church cannot be allowed to survive as the dominant, organized form of it. Neither can most of the current, corrupt ecclesiasts.

2 Likes

Ecclesiast Zebed’s natalist theory is Hegemony, not aristocracy - if you play an aristocrat when dealing with Radmar and Poric’s wedding, you’ll see that the aristocracy is not taught the part where “pfft, helots’ telos is to breed more brats for the Harrower.” Simon, for example (a defender of aristocratic privilege and aristocratic duty) would say that helots who meet their other half should marry them, whatever gender that means, and a lot of less practical aristocrats would agree because they’d be projecting aristocratic ideals of chastity and Xthonic love onto their helots.

If anything, marrying Simon is likely to get you serious approval from the aristocracy - helot or not. But can you stand to play an aristocratic game like gay marriage? :smile:

1 Like

On the practical side, unless I can make my mod work in the sequel there will probably be no marrying Simon at all if that would make my mc bisexual. As for the rest what my mc will not do is the decadence, pageantry and silly games of “honour”.

I think that only a very tiny minority of aristo’s including Simon actually do that, whether or not the aristos get preached the natalist theory on helot nature by the church most do see them as less than human and even Horion still struggles with that part to some extent. My mc is also not very chaste by inclination, but the practical realities of his situation and his (growing) paranoid streak, as well as plain rotten luck (Calea stuck her claws into and killed poor Dann before my mc had any chance and Gan may have been a one-sided crush from my mc’s side, plus the guy turned traitor to boot) have thus far prevented him from acting on it.

1 Like

For the record, there is at least one other option besides bisexuality and squinting hard to ignore authorial intent: a gray-ace character can also end up in a relationship with Simon or Kalt.

Now, your canon MC may not be gray-ace, any more than they’re bi. (“Not very chaste by inclination.”) But it’s worth noting.

Edit: it’s been pointed out to me that other related options (all following from the ace option when meeting Breden) include gay/asexual, aromantic/gay, or demisexual–not just gray-ace.

1 Like

That’s actually the exact path I was planning on taking for Kalt. I enjoy playing ace spectrum characters a lot, and especially in this case I find it interesting, because of Breden’s curious, almost-universal attraction situation. It makes for an interesting subtext IMO.

1 Like

So i’m not sure if it’s because english is not my first language, but what does hiera Olynna mean with the following statement?
Ecclesiast said sternly. “And to contrast compassion with strength is a most profound error.”

Is she saying that compassion and strength are the same thing?

1 Like

She’s saying that they are not opposite and that being compassionate doesn’t mean being weak and vice versa.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

So in the final battle I noticed if you didn’t go to explore the new camp side beginning of chap3 and choose to draw the Plektoi attention you can blind it from both eyes (at least with COM2), but don’t kill it…I think. I think the Plektoi was mentioned to run away. Does it have much effect in any way if you kill it or blind it?

1 Like

No. Either way, you’ve taken out a Plektos that won’t be returned to commission for the foreseeable future. Restoring an eyeball isn’t a skill most Theurges possess.

4 Likes

Traps get used if you choose to fight as well. If you laid down a lot of them they can do some nasty damage (almost completely wiped out the nobles who were after me in my playthrough)

2 Likes

So I decided to make all choices in the winter while playing as a Theurge whose only interest is raiding the Hegemony and by the end of winter I only have 42 people because I suck with numbers.
Is there any kind of advice how to survive the winter without losing so many people?
Or is it pretty impossible if you saved everyone in the Harrowing cause too many people?

1 Like