Choice of Rebels: Stormwright (XoR2 WIP)

You’ve got to play a little more humble since you’re the author, but since I’m only a reader, I’m more free to recommend that people check it out if they haven’t already :stuck_out_tongue: A Tale of Heroes (WIP) - 197k words. Updated 03/07/2023 with Chapter 5!

It’s an obvious passion project, with fantastic characters, dialogue, and mystery, and there’s a lot to be excited about in its future.

Trying to figure out our rebellion’s future is one of the weirder things about the game for me, because we’re still ignorant about a large part of the workings of the world. My impression is that this story is as much, if not more, about the path towards an end (and the sacrifices that come with following that path) more so than the end itself – and it’s a rough and cloudy road ahead.

I can picture, for instance, a grand alliance of nations bound together by trade and shared resources, free of the Karagond colonialism extracting all wealth towards the metropole. I can picture a Shayard rebuilt from the grassroots up, with the moot as the basic local government, each sending representatives to an Althing for all Shayard, a house of commons. But I can only influence what my protagonist does, and the rest is up to those other fictional characters to do as they will.

We can iterate ideas through contact with other ideas, but that keeps us locked in the world of ideology. As of yet, we haven’t been given tools to evaluate these ideas in practice (i.e. the consequences of our actions) – which is to say that in the grand scheme of things, this is a fleeting moment that will eventually be tempered by those consequences, if not disappearing altogether. For now, the possibilities are seemingly infinite, and trying to grab hold of one is like trying to grab hold of water itself.

Hey wait a minute, now I’m just describing a Xaos-storm again…

Headcanon, or close enough.

7 Likes