Choice of Games and Hosted Games Recommendations -- Consolidated Thread

So I’ve got a monthly budget of $20 for CoG/HG games (please don’t ask why), and I’m wondering which games should I buy in the next (and upcoming) month(s).

I know to each his/her own and all, and people differ in what is considered a good game. But I’m sure there’s some consensus on the better, ‘must-try’ games in CoG/HG.

What I have played/purchased:

• Choice of Vampire series
  • Choice of Romance/Affairs of the Court
  • Heroes Rise series (which I completely and utterly loved)
  • Hero Project series (which I didn’t enjoy as much)
  • Versus series
  • Way Walkers University series (which I absolutely adored)
  • Samurai of Hyuga series (which I grew to love)
  • Wayhaven Chronicles (which is just wow!)
  • The Lost Heir series (which was kinda captivating)
  • Community College Hero series (which was fun)
  • Unnatural
  • The Superlatives
  • Fallen Hero
  • Hero Unmasked
  • Choice of Deathless
  • Deathless: City’s Thirst
  • Zombie Exodus
  • Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven
  • Psy High
  • Wise Use of Time
  • MetaHuman Inc.
  • Orpheus Ruse
  • Choice of Alexandria
  • Choice of the Petal Throne
  • Tally Ho (which was cute)
  • Fatehaven
  • Heart of the House
  • Evertree Inn
  • A Midsummer Night’s Choice
  • The Eagle’s Heir
  • Cannonfire Concerto
  • Sorcery is for Saps
  • Thieves’ Gambit: The Curse of the Black Cat
  • Double/Cross
  • Hollywood Visionary
  • Choice of the Rock Star

EDIT: Btw, I’m not a fan of male gender-locked games (such as A Study in Steampunk, no matter how highly received it is).

7 Likes

Mhnn… can’t really give a rec, as all I’d have recced is already on your list, but… have you considered trying some betatesting? whether the CoG or HG games?

1 Like

Hmmm, never considered beta-testing… because I doubt I would be a good beta-tester (i.e. give good feedback).
Never actually know what’s required in beta-testing actually.
But… thanks for the suggestion. I’ll go Google it now.

1 Like

I highly recommend Slammed! Even if you don’t know anything about wrestling it’s a really good game with, IMO, one of the best romances in CoGs library.

7 Likes

Did you play Choice of robots? I didn’t find it in your list. It’s a very enjoyable story with lots of branching, one that got me hooked on text based CYOA.

5 Likes

Jason usually says in each beta test thread what he’s looking for :3

1 Like

@Mewsly
Oh, yeah! I’ve heard good things about it… Totally slipped off my mind. And the one of the best romances statement really caught my attention. :flushed: Thanks.

@anon8836198
Nope. Choice of Robots was not on my list… because well, prima facie, I thought it would be weird playing as a robot. But I’ll go check out the demo (the first few chapters) since you make it sound so appealing.

2 Likes

You don’t :wink:

Give it a try, it’s amazing. One of the top cog titles, in my opinion.

3 Likes

That’s actually really useful. Thanks for that… I’ll look into beta-testing games.

But… well… I still have this $20 budget per month that would be forfeited if I don’t use it. So I should utilise it somehow right?
(Yeah, I have a weird agreement with my parents that they would sponsor a fixed monthly budget for games provided I keep up my grades. And yes, I know, it sounds like bribery but… well, actually, it probably is bribery.

1 Like

Tin Star, pardner. I reckon y’ll fancy it.

6 Likes

Tin Star,I recommended it like…everytime and more :joy:
Neighbourhood Necromancer,short but interesting,and sweet

6 Likes

I would also highly recommend Slammed! I didn’t really knew much about wrestling and really wasn’t into it by any degree, but the game is more about characters than the sport, and i do consider it as one of the best cogs on the site.

If you like romance games Vampire House is pretty nice.

Creatures Such as We have a great writing and very deep story.

Empyrean was a good steampunk-ish adventure, and the romance with the girl from underworld (forgot her name) was one of the cutest things i’ve read here :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Try checking out It’s Killing Time, I feel its the most underrated CoG/HG game to date.

4 Likes

@MirandaRose @wolfmarelalala
Well that’s 2 recommendations for Tin Star, so I’ll definitely give it a good look.

@Mewsly @Ponku
That’s also 2 recommendations for Slammed - plus the romance part really caught me - so I’ll likely buy it

@Ponku
Vampire House and Creatures Such As We are free to play, no? So I guess that’s a bonus.

@anon8836198
I will certainly consider buying Choice of Robots. Since it sounds like it has good replayability.

@TheGoodRebel
Thanks. Yeah, I though there were some less popular / underrated games that are actually good. Will try the demo.

5 Likes

The character themselves might not be everyone’s cup of tea but… dang, the way the romance works in the story is just so good and endearing!! It’s really high on my list of favorite romances period.

3 Likes

Actually when I first saw ‘wrestling’, I was like: ok, I’m so not a sports person (even in real life), and gosh is this going to be violent!

But I now think it might be worth a shot since as @Ponku says

It’s like I’m not a superheroes fan (I’m not at all into Marvel comics or shows), but Heroes Rise really gripped me. It gripped me so hard! Hero Unmasked, Fallen Hero and The Superlatives aren’t too bad either though I’m not sure if they can be counted as ‘superheroes’ genre.

1 Like

Eh, depends on your definition of superhero.
HR is nominal ‘heroes’ only doing stuff for the fame, even outright avoiding helping and protecting people if there’s not enough prestige to it.
FH, HeUn, Superlatives, CCH are about using your extraordinary abilities to help and protect people (one way or the other)

3 Likes

It’s not all that violent at all, really. It’s more about WWE style wrestling, and while there is wrestling in it its more about the characters, the story, and about the business around the sport than the sport itself

Oh I agree! Heroes Rise was really good! It’s one of my favorites!

5 Likes

Guess we have similar taste then - guess I can trust your judgment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gonna second Tin Star and Slammed; easily among the best COG. Choice of Robots its one of the best written and despite male gender-locked stories not being your cup of tea, i would recomend you to take a look at the infinty series. Totally worth it.

3 Likes