Choice of Games and Hosted Games Recommendations -- Consolidated Thread

Mecha Ace is the bomb for sure! I think I need to replay Hollywood Visionary soon however, I forgot about that one. :smiley:

2 Likes

The Lost Heir series offers the most choice in paths to choose,in my opinion.

3 Likes

Choice of the Deathless and Deathless: City’s Thirst are big favorites of mine! Deathless is rather linear and City’s Thirst is more branching, but I recommend playing both even though they’re both technically stand-alone. They have really cool world building and I personally found City’s Thirst a bit hard to understand in the first play-through and Deathless shows how the world works really well and I think that may help a bit (there’s also a related book series called the Craft Sequence)

Zombie Exodus doesn’t really have many plot branches really, but it gives a lot of different types of choices that affect your character stats and a lot (I think 9 specifically?) of endings depending on what choices you made. The sequel, Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven isn’t finished yet, but its character creation is super in depth and it has a lot in store for future parts

And as others said, Tally Ho is also really good :smiley:

4 Likes

Choice of Robots, Tally Ho, Choice of the Star Captain, Study in Steampunk. I’m also currently really enjoying Superlatives, though I’ve not finished it yet.

4 Likes

Hmm… Deathless (both the original and City’s Thirst), Heart of the House, and Study in Steampunk would all be my top recommendations.

3 Likes

You have unleashed the floodgates.

From the CoG roster: Slammed! is a classic I still use as a benchmark for the quality of writing I expect from CoG’s main line, and Affairs of the Court is the only one so far that has thoroughly slaked my thirst for messy entanglements and political scheming. There’s no similar benchmark for Hosted Games, but that’s due to the variety and breadth of material more than the quality.

The rest comes down to preference. Basically, what do you feel like looking into? I could make more specific reccomendations.

4 Likes

Thus far , i had found Tin Star has the biggest amount of paths and endings, and it has the best epilogue as well , with the conclusion of almost ALL characters depending on our path as an US Marshal …

Other good titles i really like are " Heart Of The House", “Tally Ho”, “The Great Tournament”, “Vampire House”, “Unnatural season one”, “Community College Hero” and “Broadway 1849”

4 Likes

Definitely a lot of choices, but you fail/succeed thanks to some pretty steep stat checks from what I remember. Things like that put me off and I didn’t look at the sequel after the first one.

1 Like

I’m a bit surprised no one’s mentioned Choice of Rebels yet, as it meets all of your criteria perfectly (and is also generally excellent).

I’d also thoroughly recommend Tally Ho and Tin Star.

1 Like

I’d throw Choice of Robots in, if OP doesn’t mind a more “game-y” take, along with Choice of Alexandria. Affairs of the Court as well, to a lesser extent (you need to go down one branch to continue the story, but the ending explodes outward).

1 Like

Hey, I was wondering what some good long CoG games that are worth the money are. I prefer long strategy and resource management games like the Zombie Exodus series. I own Choice of Robots, the ZE series (both books), Choice of Alexandria, A Wise Use of Time, Metahuman, Hollywood Visionary, Choice of the Vampire: Fall of Memphis (bit of a disappointment), The Great Tournament 2 and Choice of Wizard.

As you can see, I own a lot because I’ve been adding to my collection for quite a while. I have enough for 1-2 more games for now so I was wondering what the top 2 picks you’d recommend are.

Hi Erin, took the liberty of moving this into an existing thread, both for forum tidiness and to point you to recommendations upthread. (Many of which you already know.)

Choice of the Star Captain is really underrated. It has great writing, and Lloyd’s sarcasm is legendary. I’m surprised it’s not more popular.

1 Like

the infinite series and tin star, lords of aswick

1 Like

Choice of Rebels: Uprising
Tin Star
Silverworld

I’ve had fun with all of them, they really let you take your journey in different directions.

1 Like

Since several of my big favorites were already mentioned, here are two other games I have greatly enjoyed that haven’t been named yet: Broadsides and Life Of A Mobster.

1 Like

Try out ‘Fallen Hero: Rebirth’. It’s epic.

10 Likes

Agreed.

Aside from Fallen Hero, have you tried Evertree Inn, OP? Nobody seems to have mentioned it.
It may be quite short, however I had lots of fun with it, not to mention the author is working on a sequel.
Unfortunately you don’t have the freedom to just go around murdering all the characters, but no game is truly perfect.

3 Likes

Tried a lot of these games here. For Hosted Games I’m debating between Paradigm City, Guns of Infinity, Tokyo Wizard and Knights of Fellowship. For CoG I’m looking at a choice between Hero of Kendrickstone, The Eagles Heir and Saga of the North Wind. I can afford 2-3 depending on the game prices.

What are the merits/playing styles of each one? I tend to value less story/lore based games and more interactive stat-based games (ie Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven).

Eagle’s Heir is for you then I think.

1 Like