Celestial (WIP)

I like where this seems to be going so far
What would you like advice on?

Mainly that it seems to be going way too fast. Granted, the events being depicted would take billions of years in real time, so some fast forwarding is expected, but it seems to me that events are moving along TOO fast. Maybe I’m just worrying too much, and this is a good pace for this stage of the game, but I wanted to check with others to be sure.

I really liked what you have so far, but there were a few portions that felt slightly disjointed to me; the main place was right before ‘Suddenly, a bright light appears’. Perhaps you could insert a few sentences here and there to transition between eras (epochs, whatever)? I like your writing style for this, very distinctive and appropriate to the story.

@fantom It really looks interesting and very promising, l think you are worrying too much, but that’s just understandable. :wink:
I like your writing style and the details… I can’t wait to see more of it. So keep up your good work. :smiley:

Side question: I’ve been researching stuff for my game, and I’m discovering really cool stuff that I didn’t even know about things like the formation of the planets and the beginning of life and such. Anyway, in light of my rekindling of interest in these topics, I was thinking I have an opportunity here. While the game itself will aim to be simple, I still want it to be as accurate as I can manage whenever reasonably possible. So I was thinking that in addition to the “next” button I add another using the *goto_scene command that’ll take the player to a quick explanation of a scene or term, and if they want a more detailed explanation I can have a nested scene in the stats screen with links to wikipedia pages. What do you guys think?

Footnotes? I like that thought in general terms. I wonder if some people would find it distracting? I know one wouldn’t HAVE to view the explanations.

Either way, though, I do love the idea of some background being included in one place or another. Great idea.

wait so we are more or less god in a planet form, and have mortals that we can or can not develop and attack other planets. that has to be the greatest idea for a choice game i have ever heard. (that is the gist right?) can our little mortals fight other little mortals?

@The_Royalist1 From the perspective of lowly mortals, for all intents and purposes you would be considered a god, although in reality you’re just a different form of life.

Well good luck i think its a great idea

What do guys think about having background events, the things happening that the player doesn’t observe directly but influence the overall story, happen semi-randomly? As in, even if you play the game multiple times using the same choices, it doesn’t play out exactly the same, with certain things happening kinda random.

As an example, say you have a trade ship traveling between systems. Now, this ship is departing planet A, and can either decide to travel to planet B or planet C. If the trade ship travels to planet B, the player learns of certain events earlier and can head them off. If the trade ship travels to planet C the player can make new allies that they otherwise would not have met. The player never actually directly encounters the trade ship, though they might hear about it.

Sounds interesting, I can’t wait to play this thing

Oh I like it random events as long as you don’t put in no win scenarios as random background events it seems cool. But if say trade ship leaves planet A and can either go to B or C and it goes to C and my trade ship gets sucked into a passing semi sentient black hole that would probably be annoying just saying

1 Like

@TheFallen Ooooh! Sentient black hole! Thanks for the idea :slight_smile:

sounds interesting

Having random events gives the players an even greater reason for re-playability. It also gives them a more reason to think hard before they choose their path. I really like where you’re going with this!

I must say I liked the idea very much so and now that I’ve tried your demo I’m even more interested.

Concerning the (semi-)random events it looks like a nice idea.

As for the civilization of the sentient planet, considering one of your previous example I would think that at one point this civilization could become space-faring. Do you plan on having other sentient planets/moons, etc ? Could be interesting to have an alliance with a sentient moon. A Sister-Moon maybe ?

1 Like

@Altan I plan on having the civilization on your surface evolve as fully as possible, up to and including space expiration. And depending on your relationship with them at this point, they may become an extension of you of sorts, scouting out the galaxy for you and even augmenting your own abilities with technology. However, if you have a poor relationship with them they may opt to leave your surface entirely.

As for other sentient planets, I don’t want to say too much just yet, as this is a central tier to the overall story, but I can say that there will be others. They were the voices at the beginning.

I eagerly await for more!!! :3

I have a bad habit of not updating my own thread very often, so sorry about that. I am still working on the game, so no worries. I wanted to get a quick opinion on one of the core game mechanics, that of using elements to increase your abilities and develop life. What I’m wanting to know is do you guys think it would be better to have a simplified mechanic where the player acquires light, regular, and heavy elements, or would it be better to allow them to be more specific about the elements they get, such as helium, iron, or hydrogen?

1 Like

I vote specific that way I can have more control over everything