Can't post my Demo

Yes, sorry as the second message implies compile.html will only work with Firefox at present, the other browsers don’t give quite so much control over local file loading (It’s not a bias reasoning, the method used simply doesn’t work in other browsers).

You actually reminded about a method I stumbled across to make compile.html work for new versions of Internet Explorer as well as Firefox. I just implemented it now, so it may be worth your time to re-download it and try again (if you’re not wanting to download Firefox).
I’m still only “officially” stating that it’ll only work in Firefox at this point in time though, as strictly speaking the method I’ve used for IE *shouldn’t* work (on paper), it just does.

Ok, thanks. I will try it as soon as I get my computer back.

If anyone wants an ftp account, I can set one up for them on my server, no problem. This way, you can upload your files (no need to compile) and run the game in your browser just like dropbox with a public folder. Just log in with an ftp client.

@CJW thank you for your instructions. They were very helpful! :smile:

It was a basis for my dad for figuring out how to do it. Here are the instructions he wrote for me to help me understand. I hope this helps others as well. :slight_smile:

1. Delete the game folder (if this is your first time through, skip this step and #2)

2)Unzip the game.zip file to the desktop

3)Make changes and save

1. Make zip file of game

2. Download the compile.html that CJW linked to and put it on the desktop (it’s just easier to find there)

6)Replace Compile.html in the game folder with the Compile.html file from the desktop

7)Run Compile.html with Firefox

8)Right click link on bottom of the screen and select Save Link As and save it to the desktop

9)Go to dropbox and upload the file and copy the resulting link

10)Paste link in text file

11)Replace https://www.dropbox.com
With https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/

12)This is the new shareable link. You should put the link into a text file and save it, replace the link every time you make a new copy of the game.

2 Likes

I just downloaded choicescript-master.zip from github today, and compile.html produced a file that didn’t work. The modified compile.html in this thread worked. I also did the above ui.js fix, but I don’t know if that has any bearing on this problem anymore. Anyway, in short, there still seems to be a problem with the compile.html in the official choicescript distro.

I used Goggle Drive early in my current project, it allows transporting of Zips, but I don’t think it can compile it right there.

Ok so this works with scenes but is there a way to include pictures in the upload?

I have a question about compile.html. If I were to update the compile.html file hosted on dropbox, would the save files from the previous compile.html still be there? Because I know some people have already played a playtest of my game and have save files, and it would suck if their save was erased every time I needed to update the file.

It’s probably a stupid question, but I still want to know.

A slightly less fiddly way…I hope this still works…

You can get a single .html file if you paste your source into the community-made IDE. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7840892/CJW/choicescript/tools/IDE/main.html#

You may have to experiment, but you create scenes and paste the text of each one in. Export will let you download an HTML.

I think then you might be able to put it on Google Docs perhaps?

I’ve done this but I get error 404. “We can’t find the page you’re looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.”

help plz

The website url is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/home?preview=Kingdom+Life.html

I see people have been trying my link. Has it been working?

No. I remember the same thing happened to me and I switched like the dl to di or something. I don’t think that was it, but something like that.

The format of the link doesn’t look quite right. How did you come up with the url?

I think if you right-click on your dropbox file and choose ‘copy dropbox link’, then do the replacements mentioned above, it should work.

That is exactly what I did. I can’t work on it tonight but I will try again soon and post many screen shots

1 Like

I clicked on this link:

selected “download”
once downloaded i clicked “show in folder” and got it in my download folder renamed to “compiler”
i click on that and it brings me to this which is clicked “compile” and click on “here”

then i click “open with firefox”
and a working copy of my game appears. My computer also downloads the file into my temporary folder. i move the file into my dropbox. I right click and select “copy dropbox link”
here it is: Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life
change it like you said: IT WORKS!
or: https://di.dropboxusercontent.com/s/sn1ry9k0o8rp16s/Kingdom%20Life.html?dl=0

Tell me what i did wrong or if it works for you!

wait did the second one just work? It worked on my phone. :scream:
@Fiogan @Just_Because

1 Like

Yes, the second one works for me.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your time! I have absolutely no idea what I did differently but I have bookmarked my own post so I hopefully won’t have any problems in the future. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve tried following this thread but it still hasn’t worked. I get this loading screen that doesn’t end