Blood and Steel (WiP) (Updated 11th of September)

I know, I’ve fixed it. It will apply in the next update.

2 Likes

Made some variables visible.
Prestige, Commoner and Nobility relationships can be boosted heavily by winning the tournament. Fear can be increased on multiple occasions throughout the game. Especially by killing (a) certain character(s).

Edit: Thought of more stuff for winning the tournament since it’s kind of really hard.

5 Likes

So, I’ve finished the update, I’m doing some polish now: checking for errors and typos, etc.
Basically I’ll update it today.
Edit: OR not. My PC decided it’s lights out and it went blank. Perfect timing.

7 Likes

Computers think they are only allowed to break at inconvenient times.

1 Like

Perfect time to fuck me over.

Found an alternative: uploading latest finished and reviwed work. 99 percent positive major errors are fixed. It’s late, will do a changelog later. Enjoy the update.
I will check my PC tomorrow.

2 Likes

My PC’s fine now. Yay.
I’m wondering as to who won the tournament? Or did someone somehow manage to defeat Ulf? Or what significant did you do in your run?
Curious.

2 Likes

There is still an error pop-up when I try to become a trained warrior.

1 Like

I never wrote that. Yeah. /:
I do suggest only using cheats to increase your stats and not go off with those options. I’ll implement them later on.
Options related to cheats, or cheats in general are not top priority for now.

2 Likes

An entirely different scene being written for if you get imprisoned. Yay?

Try to break out, face trial and get released (or executed), impersonate a guard and leave unharmed. I’m planning to add many ways to get out of the dungeon, none of them easy!

3 Likes

I won the tournament. I just wonder though, can you win it without the help of the shady man?

2 Likes

Yes, yes you can. Here’s how:

Free for all only needs certain traits and around 22 martial. Team melee, either have good martial to win with Matthew or join Roderick’s team for instant win. Individual melee: never fight Roderick, you’ll lose no matter what. Fight Moq and win over him. For archery, either use the shady man or have the trait “skirmisher”. For jousting, have the strong trait and train with Roderick before the match. Theron’s easy to defeat.

If you want a more in-detail guide concerning which traits and whatnot, just ask.

Hm, is it even possible to have both “Strong” and “Skirmisher” as traits at this point of the game?

Actually, I’d say this might be a bit frustrating: there are a lot of traits in this game, and little opportunities to gain them, even if you’re only focusing in one branch. Add to that the fact that often enough, the game ask one very specific trait (and no other) to succeed, and, well. The strangest part might be the bear hunt, where you need either a spear or the “Quick” trait… that, as far as I know, can only be gained if you use a spear, effectively creating two choices with the same win condition - though you have the warhammer for a third.

In the end, I’d have liked to have the opportunity to maybe branch off a bit and try to train the social or intellectual branch a little, but right now, the game is really geared toward full martial characters, and even those struggle to meet the various conditions of the challenges sent their way - for instance, not being able to challenge Kane unless you have a very specific trait.

1 Like

For the first question: yes. You can gain the strong trait at the siege with a greatsword and then train for the skirmisher trait.
Dealing with Kane can be completed in 3 ways. Either with the persuasive, argumentative or the duelist trait. 2 of those ways are non-lethal. I think I’ll keep his encountrer basically the same and look for other situations to check for intelectual/persuasive traits.

I must admit I kind of like it. It just hammers home the point that you can’t be good at everything. I guess that’s where the cheat menu will eventually come in for those who want to be perfect. Also, I wouldn’t go as far as saying that the game is geared towards Marshall characters. I’m sure diplomacy will play a big role later on, but for now I suppose the current moment requires Marshall skill for the most part.

1 Like

It kind of is geared towards martialists. Especially the latest update. But the only reasoning I have is that this is a test of martial prowess so… Still, I’ll add other opportunities for intrigue and diplomacy users to benefit from.
One of the reasons was that too: I don’t want the MC to be perfect. I think someone asked how many traits you can get by the end of the game in one run. I said 20. It still stands. At the current state, 5 would be a perfect number I think. So, if you get 5 traits in the WiP right now, you pretty much did well.

2 Likes

And since I am writing another scene for the dungeon, it’ll mostly require the intrigue traits. It isn’t much since most players won’t get captured probably, but still.

In my second fist fight, there is a graded out option that says but you don’t feel the blows. Do I need a trate for that, or is it a cheat option for later?

1 Like

I think it needs the ironflesh trait. I can check if you want.

I would like to have that trate thanks.

1 Like