Betas Required Double/Cross

the game glitched and refered to Emma as Charlotte. It eventually fixes itself later on but I was a little confused by it.

Okay guys. A little later than planned (I fell fool to ignoring the rule the last 10% takes 90% of the time).

But I would just like to let you know that that writing for Double Cross is basically finished. All that’s left to do is for myself and @jethril to check it through for grammar mistakes and finish up our testing (which we’ve been doing throughout, so it shouldn’t take an alarmingly long time). Then we’re going to be sending it in for the Choice of Staff to look at, hoping they like it.

The game has come out at 84,000 words, give or take, so it should make for a nice medium sized explorable game. And I will say this now, plenty of things to be finding. I even started my own little idea for some achievements. Although whether they get put in the game or not is a completely different kettle of fish. Because I have no idea how to do it and will be trying to figure it out while choice of staff make sure the whole thing is up to standard.

Also just a thanks to everyone who played the demo, especially those who gave me notes etc. I really appreciate and I really hope you like how it’s all turning out.

7 Likes

Good Morning,

As the changed title says, now the game is finished I would very much appreciate some betas. Any feedback, as always, would be appreciated, and early reports on any bugs would also be great. Enjoy!

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/2zjck3x333d0u9a/Double_Cross(1).html?dl=0

I just played this game twice. Did a Christopher path, a friendship path with rob, and one with Opal. I am just gonna say, Opal’s path is a holy crap path. I did not expect that.

I saw one bug. During the ball, when I am putting guards at places, when I only have one guard left, it will ask if I want to station TWO guards. I only have one guard left.

I’m not sure if this is a typo, but I’m playing as a guy and then this option came up

I wonder how much Rebecca will be willing to give me for this will. A lot more than I’d get as just a wife I imagine.

It came up during the scene where you discover the will :wink:

Errr…So, I went friendship with Rob and Alex…other then that I’ve got no love for these suckers I’m about my business. Anyhow, save everyone from the ballroom disaster. Woke up in the morning, Christopher is kissing me and calling me “My love.” I mean I know I took a shot to the back of the head…but Chris has 17% rating for me.

I’m dazed and confused.

A few scenes later I’m shacking up with Rob. I took a shot to the head and became a :scream: well a very rude word! So I went with it, and decided sure, I’m head over heels in love with Rob. I find the will give it to him, and we hit a time loop where we’re back at the day after the party. I’m in a strange surreal place…confirmed I’m in an infinite loop if I select “How could I not love you?” Followed by Take the will straight to Rob, he has a lot to gain from it. I broke the loop by betraying him and I feel horrible about doing that to my twilight zone lover.

A typo in Alex’s pathway :worried:

**"set alex %+5 “**Anyway there’s no need to worry about it. So don’t.” Alex smiles at you, “I’m glad you can understand all my little quirks and things.”

The two of you sit beside each other for what feels like an age. You can feel Alex next to you fidgeting, nervous, now he’s back to himself, about being called back on stage.

I enjoyed this game a ton! I did both Opal and Rebecca’s paths (talk about a completely different game! I could hardly believe where Opal’s path ended up!), and enjoyed them greatly. I didn’t notice any specific errors with continuity or misgendering or whatever in those paths, but I did have a couple problems.

First: my career stat stayed at 44 for the whole game which was odd. I managed to save everyone at the party, and got a phone call from the agency saying they were ecstatic, and then like three pages later it said that they didn’t like my failures. I’m assuming that’s because my career was still so low, but just a heads up!

Second: I think it ought to be more clear what you’re doing when setting up your plan at the party. My first playthrough I really just winged it, putting people all over without really any thought in it, and lost some people. The second time, I knew what was going to happen, so I prepared much better, but still! Of course, I may just be a terrible bodyguard. Otherwise though, that was my favorite section in the game! I loved seeing the same events again from a different angle when I was protecting a new character.

BUT ANYWAY I REALLY LIKED THIS. The characters are very good, the bodyguard angle is unique and fun, and like I said earlier, the sheer difference in the paths is incredible. Sorry I don’t have specific errors to point out!

I played through the Christopher path, and liked it a lot! I do think that his ending could be a bit more elaborated upon, I felt like it ended abruptly. I’m wondering if that’s because I didn’t do much snooping around the house, resulting in lots of unsolved mysteries? I still think that maybe adding another ending scene with dialogue would give a more…idk…‘wrapped up’ feeling to it. It could be about the wedding, or more on the career (or lack thereof) with the agency, etc etc. Overall though, I enjoyed the game very much! :smiley:

Noticed a little mistake when you go to Rob’s house. I was pursuing him romantically; we gossiped about Opal and how she might go into a loveless marriage. I got a Opal +4% in the middle of the text before it said MC left, and then the game had options talking about a kiss. I never saw any text about a kiss though.

I was robbed of that kiss, damn it!

Also, there are a lot of bugs. I found an endless loop bug where I accidentally got Christopher kidnapped. It endlessly loops from the scene where Rob is trying to bake, to finding the will, and having Rob claim you betrayed him because Christopher got kidnapped.

I also didn’t write it down, but there are a lot of scenes later on that feel out of place. Like Alex talking to me, assuming I went and saw his play or went to be his bodyguard.

1 Like

Loved it can’t wait for moreeeeeeee

Aside from the endless loop, I really loved it! I thought the characters were well written, and that the choices had a significant impact.

Overall I really enjoyed it! :smiley:

Did the Alex path (only sensible one around, except for my gal of course, ha!), got to say I did not expect to be able to do such a thing. Unique game in that aspect, in my experience, a nice surprise indeed. Loved every bit of it, wonderfully done, Alex felt like a real person, and remained true to his character while developing. Bravo.

Only spotted what Flux already reported, but I might have been too into the story to notice. :relaxed:

If I play more I will post again.

Wow, didn’t expect so many people to play the beta, so thank you to all who gave it a go!

@Dancingcups Special thanks for sticking with the game when it made no sense, I was dazed and confused when I read about your experience, but going back through you helped me to find the two silliest mistakes ever. Evidently my brain fell out the day I wrote that code.

@SpaceLesbian I have to say, someone playing Opal has made my day, she is my personal favorite (I can only wonder what that says about my own character), and I am well aware she is also probably the least popular , so I’m really glad you enjoyed her path especially. Much appreciation for the feedback.

@shettiejw Glad you enjoyed. If you go down Christopher’s route a lot of things remain unsolved because his path doesn’t require extra knowledge of the other characters, it only requires knowledge about him. I was very careful with only giving out necessary information so each play could be a whole new experience and a whole new angle of the situation. I am also adding bits and pieces day by day, continuity allowing a few extras have been added.

@Bootsykk I’m sorry I robbed you! (I feel especially bad of robbing you in Rob’s romance because I like his painfully cute attempts at romance) When I went to find it it was the maddest mistake as well, but I’ve managed to fix it all. Thanks for the bug notes.

@JTAL I’m very happy you feel that way about Alex. Characterization is the thing I pride myself most on, where I lack in other areas I try to make up for it with making very real lovable people. I also have to say Alex’s romance scene is one of my favorites, because when isn’t stuttering awkward failure sexy?

@Flux Thanks for the multiple plays and the help, I appreciate you sticking with the concept.

I am wondering if anyone managed to end the game early? Because it is possible to end the game at the party by being really really good at your job and on a certain path. It’s just very hard, I was simply wondering if anyone stumbled onto the route?

I’ve also been working on the cover art for it, which has been great fun.

1 Like

So far I’ve played Christopher, Alex and Rob’s path. All were enjoyable to play but Rob’s path…Oh, the FEELS! I’m starting Rebecca and Opal next before I tinker around with the other paths again. And no, I haven’t been able to end the game early but I am sure gonna try to now.
Great job at your first game! I’m ready to give you my $.

1 Like

Hey Azura
I just got the same error again today that DancingCups had gotten.
I was not in a relationship with anyone but I was friendly with everyone. All of a sudden after the party, I am in a relationship with Christopher:
The second you press the off call button there’s a loud rap on your door. You open it to find Christopher. “Good Morning my love,” he says, stepping into your room and bending to give you a soft kiss, “I couldn’t resist coming to see your face first thing in the morning.” he smiles down at you and takes your hand, pulling you back into the room to a sitting position on the end of the bed. “How are you feeling about last night?” he asks.

After that scene ends, I am all of a sudden in a relationship with Rob:
The next month falls into a routine for you. Every moment you’re not at work you find yourself with Rob. You’re always welcome at his house and he’s always thrilled to cook for you.